os2mio4k, dreamdroid, Univision (91W)

LocutusOfBorg

I have better things to do
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
Whether I stream using DreamDroid on my android smartphone or with my AndroidTV box, I can't get audio from Univision on 91W. There's 2 audio selections but I can't get audio on either one. There is audio because Univision works fine over the HDMI cable from the osmio to my TV. Any ideas on getting audio or an explanation of why I don't get audio? All other streams that I do are OK.

Is that a setting on the osmio or dreamdroid or androidtvbox?

I don't know in your case, but many devices have an "SAP" (Secondary Audio Programming) choice in their menus, and it can cause a NO audio situation like you are having if it's turned ON. So, I thought perhaps something in your chain of devices had that on, and it was killing the audio output when streamed.

Well, I haven't been able to figure this out. I can't find any economical workarounds for this either. There's no audio on vlc either.

Just had a moment to look at this report. Using VLC for playout of 91w, Univision, the audio plays if the setting is Audio 1 / mono Left channel. If stereo or mono Right channel is selected, there is no audio.

I assume the same is true for the DreamDroid app as it has no selection for mono.

Last edited:
I tried all of the audio settings that I could find on dreamdroid. Can't get it to work. All other satellite programs that we use work fine. Since this osmio is connected to my TV, also, via HDMI I checked audio there and it works fine. Streaming via webif on my PC works fine. Neither dreamdroid nor streaming via webif on my Android devices work. I'm just talking about audio problems with Univision. All other services stream just fine. Hope you can follow my train of thought.

DreamDroid does not have the audio option to select mono. The Univision audio requires the audio track selection to be set to mono left.

Reach out to the DreamDroid developer and request that mono track audio selection be added to the app. Maybe another E2 Android app is available?

I came across another app called "dream Player" but it has the same problem.

Well, I got audio when I used a different decoder on dreamPlayer but now I don't get any video (black screen). The developer suggested the exoplayer. Waiting to hear any other suggestions from the developer. Kinda disappointed that vlc couldn't handle the job.

Have you tried Potplayer?

It's not listed in the playstore but it looks like I can download the apk from the web. I was hoping that I could find someone that was doing the same thing as I am so that I wouldn't have to experiment with all these players in order to find one that works.

UPDATE: It didn't fix the problem. Next.......

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: primestar31
I've made some progress on the Android TV box by using the pre-installed KDplayer with dreamdroid (after turning off the integrated player feature in dreamdroid). But, it makes it a little more difficult to operate the box. I hope my wife can handle it since she's the primary user of the Android TV Box. I don't see an app in Play Store for the KDplayer app but it looks similar to Kodi on the Galaxy S# phones. Kodi fixed the issues on the Galaxy S# phones. Kinda disappointing that VLC was unable to handle this stream. I suppose that there's a setting in VLC somewhere that fixes this issue.

Looks like the problem with using the mobile version of VLC is that it tries to select the right channel for Univision which doesn't have audio. Only the left channel has audio. I don't see any way to change that with the mobile VLC version. If I record the program on the osmio4k I can play it back with VLC on my computer since you can select which audio track you want. Near as I can tell, you can't make that selection on the mobile VLC app and I don't see a way to record the program on the mobile VLC app.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)