OT: DirecTV Considers Dropping Channels And Offering An Internet Video Service

I was thinking about the comment I made before about having TVs with satellite tuners in them. I forgot about the smart TV that Dish showed at team summit and how it was able to show it's own HD programming without a receiver. It basically used an app to access one of the tuners on the Hopper instead of using a Joey. Sounds like it could solve some problems but you know Dish isn't going to offer that for free and give up the $7 a month they would normally make.

It will be at least 10 years before they phase vip's out, probably another 5 before they get rid of all the mpeg2 junk.

Given that there is currently not any talk of changing out of MPEG-4 yet, VIPs should last several more years. But, just because they will work on the system does not mean that Dish will continue to manufacture them or give them the option of being put on new customer's accounts.

Given that there is currently not any talk of changing out of MPEG-4 yet, VIPs should last several more years. But, just because they will work on the system does not mean that Dish will continue to manufacture them or give them the option of being put on new customer's accounts.

This is exactly right. The people who have them will be able to use them for many years but don't expect to sign up as a new customer and get one. Dish is already cutting down on allowing us to use 222 receivers on upgrades.

It's going to be all Hoppers and 211z receivers I think.

I suspect it will just come down to Hoppers and 211s. I do not think Dish will give up the low cost single TV solution. The 722's days are numbered.

Yep. Until they come up with a ViP211 series replacement. Perhaps one that requires it be connected to a mated Hopper every so often (@ month?) or it shuts down. Wirelessly, maybe. They could call it the Dingo.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yep. Until they come up with a ViP211 series replacement. Perhaps one that requires it be connected to a mated Hopper every so often (@ month?) or it shuts down. Wirelessly, maybe. They could call it the Dingo.

Maybe the Dingo ate your baby

I started with Dish with the Everything Package and with each price increase I dropped my package down. I am now with the dish America package AND bb@H (until my $5 per month discount runs out and then its gone. I am seriously thinking of getting a TiVo with Lifetime subscription for OTA channels, which is what I watch the most and there are 33 of them. I will miss HDTV, Discovery, USA(new shows only, not the reruns), Lifetime, HMC, but can't afford much more in increase since I am on Social Security now.

As long as the sport's management and content developers are paying athletes and actors ridiculous salaries , our TV cost will be high. $500,000 to a $1,000,000 per episode for stars of TV shows, $ 20,000,000 per movie , $167,000,000 for a 5 year contract to play baseball, $1,000,000 1st prize in golf and Tennis is just crazy. Our President make $400,000 and we pay an actor to play the president $20,000,000 is just dumb. The average US citizen makes about $43,000 per year. Entertainment values have gone out of whack. However, as long as we the consumer continue to pay for tickets or subscriptions, it will get worst. In the same time our TV subscription has increased by 7-9% per year , the cost of computers have gone down the same amount with better features. As long as we stay dumb consumers, we will get taken.

As long as the sport's management and content developers are paying athletes and actors ridiculous salaries , our TV cost will be high. $500,000 to a $1,000,000 per episode for stars of TV shows, $ 20,000,000 per movie , $167,000,000 for a 5 year contract to play baseball, $1,000,000 1st prize in golf and Tennis is just crazy. Our President make $400,000 and we pay an actor to play the president $20,000,000 is just dumb. The average US citizen makes about $43,000 per year. Entertainment values have gone out of whack. However, as long as we the consumer continue to pay for tickets or subscriptions, it will get worst. In the same time our TV subscription has increased by 7-9% per year , the cost of computers have gone down the same amount with better features. As long as we stay dumb consumers, we will get taken.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying but I don't think paying for what you want is dumb. I'm the type of person that is willing to pay for something that I really want as long as I can afford it. As long as I can afford to pay the increasing fees for sports I will continue to do it because I really care about watching it. It seems that a lot of big sports fans feel the same way I do. Eventually the line will be crossed and I won't able to afford it but for now I'm ok with it.

I know most of these salaries are ridiculous but these athletes need to make sure they get their money now just in case something happens to them. Many of these athletes wouldn't be able to keep a normal job because they lack the skill set and knowledge. Their focus has been on sports their entire lives. That salary may say $1 million but that athlete is not banking $1 million, I'm guessing it's closer to half of that after they take out taxes and all other expenses they have.

Poor guy. ONLY a half mil. Anyone here turn that down as a pay cut?

A la carte would kill the salaries of TV stars and sports players.

Just imagine if you were a minimum wage employee????? I think between that and gas should be a wakeup call to the blind and ignorant!

I live on a limited income. I simply can't afford the rate increases anymore. It is beyond ridiculous. Am seriously considering cord-cutting and streaming!!

You are not alone....... That's the big picture, and not just about TV either!

I live on a limited income. I simply can't afford the rate increases anymore. It is beyond ridiculous. Am seriously considering cord-cutting and streaming!!

Here's my take on it. I can get all i want for free on the internet, Do I? No. I like my hopper but eventually same things gonna happen to TV as it did to the music industry. People will just start stealing it. Then the networks are gonna have to give in and charge a la carte or get nothing. People will eventually stop paying for garbage bloat. Just like Itunes and Amazon do now with songs. Music industry was slow to learn and lost millions. You would think the TV companies would have learned from their mistakes.

Last edited:
If Directv keeps throwing the bone at me I'll keep catching till it loses flavor, meaning they keep giving me bill credits whenever I call to change programming or what not, then when they decide not to give credits I might suspend or downgrade package. Heck they gave me Sunday Ticket for free so I don't cancel them, that's how bad they want there good paying subs.

Jamie companies know the game canceling in tears just let me a better deal actually make it worse deal because tenure is what gives you a better deal in the long term and prices Frensons DirecTV you have a protection plan every two years new equipment all around the cost extra cost and every one year you get a free upgrade

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)