OTA Antena

Status
Please reply by conversation.

llueveYescampa

Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
Hi all,

I just switch from Dish to Directv.

I have used a TERK-42 antenna for my OTA channels for years. When I got HD I kept my TERK antenna. It did a very good job. I was able to get all my locals in HD and some times I was able to get channels for other nearby cities.

Now that I changed to DirectvHD my TERK antenna stop working. Even worst, it was creating problems with the "multi-switch" box they installed beside the satellite dishes. We had to disconnected it. Now I am missing all my HD OTA locals.

I just bought a indoor antenna (philips MANT510 50 dB amp.) but it does not help at all. My TV set is in a basement.

Have any one had a similar problem?
Any suggestion for a solution?

Thanks for your attention.

If your antenna is not DIRECTLY wired to your new DirecTV HD receiver and is run through some diplexing setup, then that is likely the issue. You will need to run a dedicated line for you OTA antenna now.

I am trying to avoid the installation of a a new dedicated cable for the off-air antenna.

Have any one have experience connecting an external powered antenna (like the TERK HDTVo) to the Zinwell 6x8 Multi-Switch?

Can this be done?

Thanks

I am trying to avoid the installation of a a new dedicated cable for the off-air antenna.

Have any one have experience connecting an external powered antenna (like the TERK HDTVo) to the Zinwell 6x8 Multi-Switch?

Can this be done?

Thanks

Not without a separate line. The ota signals will interfere with the D* signals from the new satellite, when it goes live. (SOON!)

I just spoke to a D* rep a couple days ago with this very question. I have the 3 lnb dish and have an OTA with a diplexor, and I am moving within a month with plans to get the 5 lnb dish. I was told by the rep that with a multiplex, I can run one cable in the house and need two outside that is combined into one, which is the same setup I have now. I think this issue is confusing because I have received a different answer before, but this rep spoke as if she was familiar with this. I am thinking I really won't know until the installer comes to my house and tells me what can be done.

The Ku/Ka 5 LNB setup CAN NOT be used with the OTA diplex as of now with the current hardware. You will need a separate RG6 run for your OTA.

In my opinion, I prefer the dedicated OTA line.

I live in Florida and have been able to get OTA channels for my HDDVR20 for sometime now. I have a dedicated line just for OTA channels and it works great!!! Even though I can get the local HD channels from Directv, I still use my OTA antenna when the signal from the satellite goes out(severe strorms etc. ) It worked great the other day watching a football game on Directv HD local and the satellite began searching for signal due to severe storm in the area. I just switched over to OTA antenna and keep watching game without a hitch...

Status
Please reply by conversation.