OTA Antenna and HR10-250 OTA Tuner

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alvarez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Brownsburg, IN
I have an Hughes HTL-HD and a new HR10-250 Tivo... I have fought with getting 4-1 WBHD here in indianapolis, and not too long ago I noticed I started getting 29-1 which is WBHD from kokomo. I was thrilled...

With the addition of the HR10-250 29-1 fluctuates ungodly... I am guessing this is happening because it isn't powering my OTA Winegard antenna as good as the HTL-HD did. I switch the receiver and the signal is good and no fluctuation. I can hook up a silver sensor and get a lot better signal then through the Tivo and the Winegard antenna...

Is there some kind of work around or setting for getting the Tivo to power the OTA antenna better? I have read people say I could get an amp for the OTA antenna but I don't know which one to get... The antenna is the amplified Winegard that looks like an airplane.

Any suggestions? I would like to record shows without all the pixelation :(

Ok, I have the HD10-250 and a Winegard Squareshooter2 which came with the same or similar amp that Oldman2 is showing you. I'd have to dig it out to make sure. You didn't mention how far the towers are and I wonder since there are 2 tuners in the HD10 it needs more help than the other rcvr with 1 tuner to pull in a strong sig, but here are my thoughts. If your antenna is amplified it should have come with what Oldman2 told you about or somthing like it. I switched that amp with one from Radio Shack ($70 quick fix) that had a "preamp" that goes between the antenna and the amp. The preamp is placed on the pole the antenna is on. The RS amp is adjustable to I think from 0db to 25db. All I know is I get a strong steady sig from the DC towers(18mi) which I did not get without the preamp. What the preamp does I have no idea but Winegard has them, so you might be ok adding one to your antenna. Hope this helps.---Ray

raymo721 said:
Ok, I have the HD10-250 and a Winegard Squareshooter2 which came with the same or similar amp that Oldman2 is showing you. I'd have to dig it out to make sure. You didn't mention how far the towers are and I wonder since there are 2 tuners in the HD10 it needs more help than the other rcvr with 1 tuner to pull in a strong sig, but here are my thoughts. If your antenna is amplified it should have come with what Oldman2 told you about or somthing like it. I switched that amp with one from Radio Shack ($70 quick fix) that had a "preamp" that goes between the antenna and the amp. The preamp is placed on the pole the antenna is on. The RS amp is adjustable to I think from 0db to 25db. All I know is I get a strong steady sig from the DC towers(18mi) which I did not get without the preamp. What the preamp does I have no idea but Winegard has them, so you might be ok adding one to your antenna. Hope this helps.---Ray

This is the sensar antenna that used to be powered by the Voom satellite receiver and draws then it drew its power from the back of my HTL-HD receiver when it is diplexed. However I have been told if I run a power supply on it I will be in great shape.

There are no Winegard dealers around me I found a distributor that has them but can't sell to consumers (lovely) The channels I need to get are actually in purple on antennaweb.org and I can attain them actually using a silver sensor but its jumpy. You say I can get a power supply from Radio Shack that will do the trick?

God my threads are ALWAYS moved... this is not a DVR specific question lol this is more of an HD/OTA question... but yet it got moved... thats the 3rd thread I have had moved... Scott you tryin to confuse me? lol

Ok, first of all, you did not say you were trying to mate a former E* supplied antenna to a D* reciever, which I know nada about. Sorry, but I'm sure somebody here can help you.--Ray

raymo721 said:
Ok, first of all, you did not say you were trying to mate a former E* supplied antenna to a D* reciever, which I know nada about. Sorry, but I'm sure somebody here can help you.--Ray

No it was a Voom off air antenna. It is a standard Winegard amplified Sensar antenna. The sensar antenna can get its power from the voom or directv receiver if you diplex it..... However you can run a power supply on it and it is even better... I believe my HR10-250 doesn't supply it with near the power my HTL-HD receiver did and that is why I need to run a power supply on it.

Does Radio Shack sell a power supply that would work? Or do I need to use the Winegard Power Supply?

Alvarez said:
No it was a Voom off air antenna. It is a standard Winegard amplified Sensar antenna. The sensar antenna can get its power from the voom or directv receiver if you diplex it..... However you can run a power supply on it and it is even better... I believe my HR10-250 doesn't supply it with near the power my HTL-HD receiver did and that is why I need to run a power supply on it.

Does Radio Shack sell a power supply that would work? Or do I need to use the Winegard Power Supply?
Go to Sadoun, one of the SatelliteGuys Gold sponsors. I trashed my Winegard and bought a Channelmaster 8 bay bowtie with a power preamp. I'm 45 miles from the towers so this was my solution. I never used the diplexer with my Voom, lost 3 db with the diplexer. Radio Shack has a preamp but not enough boost. Not sure of the voltage for the Winegard, but that's probably the problem.

Alvarez said:

The RS one was a quick fix for me since the Winegard came with an amp but no peamp, but as I said I'm 18mi max from the towers with good LOS. I don't think you've said what your tower distance is. I think that has alot to do with how to figure out what you need for you application. If you are as far away as timfouts is then his setup might work better for you.---Ray

Any chance you're using a diplexor in your line with the OTA antenna? I had this setup and was seeing the same signal bounces. Once I dedicated the OTA line to a direct run to the receiver, I increased signal strength about 10-20% and it remains very strong.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts