ota antenna diplexers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bronzetree

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
asheboro nc
im having a new HD receiver installed by D* with ota combined with sat signals anyone experienced a noticeable difference in picture quality going this route,i understand there will be some signal loss but really do not want to run seperate coax unless the quality is going to degrade greatly.i will be using a 50" lcd moniter.thank's

I recently installed a DiPlexer to combine my OTA and D*. I have seen no signal loss at all.
My OTA is great and so is the D* signal.

If you are going to feed the OTA into your switch (say a 5x8) just make sure you review the manual for that switch. Some switches will require a diplexor installed on every output, while other will only need it where you want both signals.

ok,thanks RiGGs, that's what i was hoping but wanted to be sure before i paid out all that money,just needed some feedback on other peoples experience because probably be a long time before mpeg 4 rolls around to ole NC IM #47

Well on my Terk switch there is a drop of 5 dB for splitting the signal and where I live I already have to boost the signal with a preamp. I just recently changed over so I could have OTA on more than one TV. Thinking I might need a line amp ahead of the switch but noise injection by that amplifier is an issue.

OTA Antenna

D* installed the HD-10 receiver and the Winegard SS-1000 non-amplified roof antenna a few weeks ago. I am within 14 miles of the towers here in Detroit and was getting nothing local in HD with the antenna. I removed the dyplexer on the roof and the one behind the receiver and am now getting great signals on all but one channel (that one has a multipath issue). I talked to the Winegard antenna folks directly. They told me the dyplexers rob the antenna of its capabilities up to 30% per dyplexer.

I put a diplexer between my H10 and rabbit ears (yes, rabbit ears). I live 15 miles from the nearest Baltimore tower and 22 from the nearest DC tower. Great signals. Right afterwards, I watched a game on ESPN2HD and thought it looked terrible, automatically blaming my diplexer. Well, it turns out that the game was SD after all. All the others look the same. NFLST looked great in HD, so, no, I don't think there's much appreciable drop off. And the US open on my rabbit ears? I have never ever ever ever enjoyed tennis like that (most definitely NOT a tennis fan) and was glued to the screen.

Oh, and why rabbit ears? For 10 bucks I get all 4 majors from both cities, plus all PBS, WB, UPN, and the majors' weather channels. The rabbit ears are nice to be able to move to maximize signal according to antennaweb.org.

thank's for all the great info folks,i currently have the terk HDTVI for my ota which works great, but kinda wanted to ditch that if i wouldn't loose so much of my picture quality from the diplexers.may have to think about this one,but then again dunno if my neighbors want to look at the outside monster either.thanks again D* ten years now and still a happy customer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts