OTA antenna not picking up certain networks

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
A few things here...

1) when it comes to digital OTA, different tuners are more sensitive than others.

2) you could return the OTA tuner and swap it with another. You likely will not see different results, but worth a try.

3) antenna could be pointed incorrectly. Even though it works with Your tv tuner, slightly adjusting the antenna may give enough signal for it work with the Dish OTA adaptor.

4) get a bigger antenna

5) try adding a 10db amplifier before going into the adaptor.

Reactions: Tampa8
A few things here...

1) when it comes to digital OTA, different tuners are more sensitive than others.

2) you could return the OTA tuner and swap it with another. You likely will not see different results, but worth a try.

3) antenna could be pointed incorrectly. Even though it works with Your tv tuner, slightly adjusting the antenna may give enough signal for it work with the Dish OTA adaptor.

4) get a bigger antenna

5) try adding a 10db amplifier before going into the adaptor.

I hadn't thought of #3 a great suggestion.

Crappy change in UI of OTA. Installed my old single tuner USB dongle. Channel 24 maxed out at 64 in the red. Can’t add it to the the guide. Before the software change all channels needed at least a 60 to lock on. With the old software this would be green on the scale. Can’t fight progress. I’m guessing DISH got many calls from customers losing signal prompting the change.

The OTA tuner in my vip211k is pretty sensitive, but I have a couple other tuners that have a bit more sensitivity. But the one in the 211k is decent. Works well on our translators. I do have a high gain UHF yagi though running through a antenna amp.

I'm new to the OTA scene and had Dish install one when we were having network disputes a few months ago. Since then I have't really used the OTA channels (I pay for locals). Every once in a while I would switch to one of the OTA channels and would not get reception. It is hit or miss. Sometimes they are there, sometimes not. I assume this is because I'm sitting right at the edge of a good signal. When the tech install the antenna I was surprised at his choice of location. He installed at right at the edge of the roof. The next door neighbors roof line is directly in the way of the direction the antenna is pointing. I questioned him about it and he said that it (Televes DigiNova Boss) has more than enough power to pull the signal in. Is this true or should Dish come out and put it in a better location?

I'm new to the OTA scene and had Dish install one when we were having network disputes a few months ago. Since then I have't really used the OTA channels (I pay for locals). Every once in a while I would switch to one of the OTA channels and would not get reception. It is hit or miss. Sometimes they are there, sometimes not. I assume this is because I'm sitting right at the edge of a good signal. When the tech install the antenna I was surprised at his choice of location. He installed at right at the edge of the roof. The next door neighbors roof line is directly in the way of the direction the antenna is pointing. I questioned him about it and he said that it (Televes DigiNova Boss) has more than enough power to pull the signal in. Is this true or should Dish come out and put it in a better location?

No offense to any Dish installers here, but they aren't trained to install and aim OTA antennas. At least the ones in my area aren't. Last I checked, they don't even have any kind of signal meter to help them aim. They just point in the general direction of the towers and hope for the best. In their defense, their job didn't involve installing and aiming OTA antennas until recently. Even then, they should be given the proper tools and training to do it right. My first OTA antenna was installed by Dish, and the poor guy said it was the first time he'd ever installed one. Since then I decided to make myself knowledgeable on OTA. I bought an HD Homerun and an iPhone app so I could accurately point my antenna, and my signal is much better.

Reactions: JSheridan
No offense to any Dish installers here, but they aren't trained to install and aim OTA antennas. At least the ones in my area aren't. Last I checked, they don't even have any kind of signal meter to help them aim. They just point in the general direction of the towers and hope for the best. In their defense, their job didn't involve installing and aiming OTA antennas until recently. Even then, they should be given the proper tools and training to do it right. My first OTA antenna was installed by Dish, and the poor guy said it was the first time he'd ever installed one. Since then I decided to make myself knowledgeable on OTA. I bought an HD Homerun and an iPhone app so I could accurately point my antenna, and my signal is much better.

What about the antenna being blocked by about 5 feet of my neighbors roof line?

Attachments

• Radar-All.png
    Radar-All.png
    116.4 KB · Views: 141
You are nowhere near the digital cliff. With the right antenna you should easily get most stations in the green and yellow. With the strong signals at your location using that amplified antenna you may potently be over loading the tuner resulting in poor reception.

Are you sure the antenna is correctly pointed towards the towers?

Are you sure the antenna is correctly pointed towards the towers?

I pulled out a compass and eyeballed it. Looks to be pointed at 35deg which would be correct for most stations.

About the neighbors house. It is about 15ft away horizontally and has about 5ft of roof line in the way vertically.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)