OTA Antenna SWR Meter

CowboyDren

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
Are SWR meters for TV readily available? Something cheap and easy, like a Sadoun SF95L DSS DBS Satellite Signal Finder?

No there are Digital tuning meters for tuning signals but the cheapest I have seen is about $200 and most are over a $1000. No for $40 you can buy a converter box and use the built in tuning meter for aiming your antenna but it isn't battery powered and portable.

Are SWR meters for TV readily available? Something cheap and easy, like a Sadoun SF95L DSS DBS Satellite Signal Finder?

That meter is not a SWR meter. I use the signal to noise ratio meter built into the Voom receiver for OTA digital TV testing and aiming fixed antennas. works great, cheap, and accurate.

How about this ATSC signal meter....
OUR PRODUCTS
Sells in Canada for $29.99 CAD.

That's pretty interesting, but why does it have LEDs instead of a needle? I just want a needle for finding a single transmitter. The DigiAir signal meter is really nice, but I'm not sure I need to spend $219 on something that isn't for business use. :)

You can use any NTSC analog meter for peaking an antenna on a digital signal. With Leader and Trilithic analog signal meters, you add about 8dB to what it says the signal level is. With some others, the "conversion factor" is a little more, but if you are simply peaking an antenna or ballparking signal levels, then you don't really care what the exact, absolute value of the signal is.

You can often find older analog meters with needles instead of digital readouts on eBay for under $50 that work just fine for peaking an antenna.

How do you use an analog meter after Feb.17 if there is no longer an analog signal to identify. I've got a Blonder Tongue that is great but I don't think it responds to the digital signals.

The readout of the meter is analog, i.e. a meter not numbers, all RF TV signals will read because they use similar transmissions, just different encoding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)