OTA ATSC HD receiver with PVR possibility

dxmichael

Original poster
Dec 18, 2010
Switzerland
Hi satelliteguys!
I hope you can help me with this:

I like to set up in San Jose, CA an ATSC antenna with some HD receiver with internal, or external hard drive ( USB ), LAN and Component connection.
I like to record from ATSC in HD and then transfer the recorded file ( .ts? ) to my PC, or via internet to my office. So I have to easily access over LAN the internel hard drive, or USB drive. Is there some simple receiver on the market in USA wich can all this ?

I live in Switzerland. Here they are plenty of those receivers with USB and LAN for DVB-T, but I didnt found the right one for ATSC... I have here in Switzerland a Dream Box ( Dream Multimedia ) and AZBox, so Im searching fore something like this, but for ATSC !!

Has anyone an idea ? If yes, please write me also the type of the receivers...
Thanks.

Last edited:
Stand alone ATSC HD DVR's are not wide spread in the US. Dish Network made on called TV Pal, I believe it is now marketed as a Channel Master DVR Pal, but the trick may be transporting files from these units to another unit such as a computer.

I personally use an HD TiVo to do just that. I picked up the HD TiVo XL off eBay and paid for the lifetime subscription for it ($299) so my total investment was about $400 (I prefer not to pay TiVo $13.95 a month forever).

TiVo has TiVo Desktop that runs on your PC and allows you to automatically transfer selected recordings to your PC.

These can be played on your PC or converted to play on other devices with the TiVo and Roxio software - very slick.

If you have the equipment, you can even create your own Blu-Ray's or AVCHD DVD's from TiVo recorded programs.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

So buying a TiVo Premiere ( or XL ) I get a HD ATSC tuner with Component outputs, USB, S-ata and LAN connection and with internal hard drive in one, right ? I just like to watch the ATSC chennels. Do I have to pay the month, or the lifetime fee even if I dont like to vatch VOD and other online enterteinment ? Can I access the TiVo from my office, outside USA to transfer the recorded movies/files to me? Do you know what recording format it use ?

I took a look at the tivo and it seems not to be what Im looking for ! I dont like the fees and all this around that. I need just a ATSC HD receiver wich can record in, lets say .ts, or other common format to a hard drive... I saw now the Coolsat 8100 HD and I-link 9500 HD. Do you guys know how they record in HD and if I can just copy the recorded files from the hard / flash drive to my PC ?

I didn't like the price of the DTVpal DVR even when it was down to $200 on closeout. And I sure as heck don't like the prices on Tivo's offering. But you are making this way too difficult. Most any PC ATSC tuner will do what you want, and it records directly to disk in unencrypted format. I purchased several of these for very little ($15-$25) and they all use Arcsoft Total Media software. This records ATSC broadcasts to an mpeg-2 program stream. All of my DVD editing software work great, including VideoReDo which has Ad Detective.

Krell's right, a PC is the only workable solution for US programming if you can't do it the TiVo way (which is the most elegant). Being in Northern Europe, I'm sure that a lot of our way of life looks absurd, and part of that is the restriction on television. The Motion Picture Association of America has our legal system convinced that we're all criminals and need to be punished for stealing everything in sight, which is why we can't just grab a tuner device, plug a hard drive into it, and move our content as we see fit, which most Europeans -can- do. Another part is the obscene restriction on mobile phones, but that's another story.

@The Krell : Yes, I saw all the USB or pci tuner cards... But then I cant watch the TV from my office. A Slingbox is also conneceted, to do that. So I need some stand alone receiver like Coolsat 8100 HD or I-link 9500 HD , or any else...
It would be cool if anyone of you guys have such a set top box and can tell me how the ATSC files will be recorded, in what format and if I can copy them without restrictions or problems on a PC.
I have forgot now the thing with copying over inetenet, that causes to much troubles. So now it is only about copy the files from the USB harddrive to a PC/Mac.

@CowboyDren: As I begun to search , I couldnt believe that there are no receiver wich can do the same like here in Europe...But now I understand a little bit more :)

If you want to watch American HD television from Europe, you need three or four components, and they all cost money. You'll need a TiVo ($300 + $13 monthly subscription, or $650 for a TiVo with a lifetime subscription, or $20 for leased hardware with a 2-year contract), a Slingbox Pro-HD ($300), an internet connection (at least $50 per month for cable, DSL, or fiber), and programming (free using an antenna or at least $70 per month with cable). So, anywhere from $1000 in cash plus $120 per month to $400 in cash plus $140 per month. This is all rounding up slightly to account for taxes and such.

The cost is significantly lower if HD isn't necessary; a TiVo Series-2 is about $180 (+ lifetime or monthly subscription), a Slingbox Solo is more like $140, you can get away with a slightly slower internet connection ($30 per month), and a cable subscription with some programming is more like $30-50 per month (you can't use an antenna with a TiVo Series-2 DT). So almost $400 in cash plus $75 per month is your absolute minimum number.

What all of this money buys you is the ability to set up timers via the TiVo web interface, the Slingbox web viewer, and 20 or so HD channels to watch using an antenna only or analog cable in most cities, maybe 40 channels on digital cable (usually only 20 in HD). But you still have to figure out where to put the stupid thing...

I got all of this components running ( internet with 4Mb up, Sling HD ), but not the right receiver with PVR. I like more record and than, later, watch and be also able to get the original video file send to me. Its hard to be awake until 4am to watch the prime time in CA :)
I dont like the TiVo thing because of the fees and because I can not copy the recorded files out of it. It is all about the files copying and files format ! :)

Or, ok, other question : Is there a way to make a legal cable TV subscription with receiver like Dreambox or other good PVR receiver ? Or other possibility ?

Im a satellite-guy, so I would put some dish there to receive the channels, but that is unfortunatley not possibile. I dont really need 200 channels - I have also to work and sleep :) The main channels like ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox... are enough. Thatswhy Im searching the easiest possible way to receive them.

You don't need to go with the latest and greatest TiVo Premiere XL for $650 with lifetime. There are many HD TiVos on eBay that are going for around +-$100. Add a lifetime subscription to that (pays for itself in less than 2 years) and you have the best OTA HD DVR available (there are not that many others around).

I don't think currently anyone but TiVo is making an OTA DVR that can operate stand alone, - correction Channel Master CM7000PAL is about $350 but it suffers from the same p[roblems as the Dish Network TV-PAL did and CM service is complained about - A LOT.

Most if not all satellite receivers with OTA require at least a satellite downlink to be visable before they operate.

I'm not the greatest fan of TiVo, but I've had a couple of stand alone SD TiVo Series 2 receivers for 4-5 years and now I have an HD TiVo from eBay and for what I want them to do (save HD video to my PC) they ARE the BEST and easiest since TiVo has created and supports software to do just that.

Last edited:
The Sonicview 8000HD has PVR capability with an external hard drive - total cost around $200 if you find a deal on a used one, not sure of the new price, and no subscription fees. Mine does fine for OTA ATSC signals and for satellite stuff too. The recording format is .ts I think - I never transfer the files but it looks like it should work.

Hi JohninSD. Thanks to the reply!! Could you check if the format is really .ts ? Jum5506 wrote that almost all combo SAT/OTA receivers has to have a satellite signal to make the ota part is working. Is that really truth ? Or did I misunderstood somethink ?
I cant imagine buy a combo receiver wich can receive ATSC, but only if there is some signal from a satellite... Is yours working o ATSC even if you disconnect the satellite cable and, to be sure, restart the receiver ?

I'm pretty sure it's true for DirecTV and Dish Network receivers, not that familiar with FTA Sat receivers.

When I bought my SV8000 a little over a year ago I had no satellite dish and used just the ATSC tuner - worked fine - no satellite signal necessary. I would guess that the Dish and DirecTV receivers are set up differently to try to force people to subscribe to their services but I don't know for sure. I'll have to take a look at the file format but a quick google search seems to imply that the files are in ".trp" format instead of ".ts" but further reading suggests that the conversion is possible. I think I did convert a few files many months ago and didn't find it terribly difficult but as I prefer to watch TV on a TV instead of a computer I haven't bothered to convert any files for a long time.

The TiVo desktop lets you copy the programs from the TiVo to your computer. OTA broadcasts are unprotected so there are no restrictions on the copy. If you have cablecard in your TiVo the cable company can flag stuff as non copy.

TiVo can also be connected to Sling box and controlled by sling box through the internet.

Sling gives you a virtual remote on the screen next to the video display window that looks just like your TiVo remote.

Click on the appropriate button to perform the desired function - there are also keyboard shortcuts.

Damn, I sound like a TiVO fanboy.

Hate the company (poor business plan), but I like their products.

If they would just make an HD TiVo with component or HDMI inputs, it would be really good.

Hi guys. Thanks for all the replies! Now, we tried connect the Sllngbox PRO HD with the Comcast cable in the house. Just for fun. And I was really surprised that all major hetworks like ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC (and local networks ) are FTA, in SD 4:3 and HD 16:9 ! I can actually watch then !! I didnt expect that !! It that normal, that the major networks are FTA on cable ? Is this mabye because the internet we are using is from Comcast ?
So, I , again, change the question in: Has anybody experience with Comcast cable ? Are all major networks FTA all the time? Can I receive the Comcast cable channels with a set top box like a Dreambox 800HD C, or Vantage 8000HD C , or any other with PVR ? This are DVB-C receivers wich are avaiable in Europe and can handle QAM 64, 128, 256. Will this receivers work on US cable like Comcast so I can watch and record AND copy the .ts, or .trp files ??

The locals are not supposed to be scrambled on cable. They are supposed to be FTA. There are some exceptions for some types of cable transmissions (like IP based networks like UVERSE).

Yes a QAM tuner in a PC can pick up your locals on cable. The only issue you will find is that the cable company sometimes moves their channels around and you may have to rescan and figure out where the locals went. Sometimes other networks are not scrambled either, that depends on the cable company.

Some cablecos provide a few local channels as a teaser to their internet only subscribers. I don't know if mine did, I never checked. I moved on to Fios, anyway.

You might want to look at this product also.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)