OTA Auto Hop Question

jackbyron1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 28, 2017
Erie PA
I was wondering if I cancelled my local channels will I still get the prime time auto
hop feature for my over the air recordings?

Yes, it still works. Just keep Primetime Anytime activated for at least (1) network and (1) day and it works (or leave it at the defaults as there will be nothing for PTAT to record). As long as it's enabled/on, it works for OTA*.

*It actually works for more than just OTA as the system simply appears to match by show name, episode #, or some other identifier. For example, someone showed where AutoHop was enabled on an episode of Shark Tank that was recorded on CNBC or MSNBC.

How is it that the TiVo Bolt and Roamio have commercial skip within a few minutes of a program concluding and dish's auto hop is so crippled?

I record the full Sunday night CBS lineup on my Bolt and all I have to do is wait until a program is concluded to be able to use the commercial skip (OH NO, I have to push the green button - my finger is sore!).

Reactions: charlesrshell
How is it that the TiVo Bolt and Roamio have commercial skip within a few minutes of a program concluding and dish's auto hop is so crippled?

I record the full Sunday night CBS lineup on my Bolt and all I have to do is wait until a program is concluded to be able to use the commercial skip (OH NO, I have to push the green button - my finger is sore!).

I suspect it is related to two issues:
1) I believe that Dish was sued over commercial skipping and settled out of court with the networks
2) The contracts with the locals and major network may prohibit the automatic skipping of commercials using technical means. Dish has humans inserting the skip points, meaning it takes some small amount of time to configure these.
-- TIVO is not a re-broadcaster so doesn't have to worry about any contract issues and uses the black spaces before and after commercials to determine what to skip. The TIVO method is patented and was also a matter that Dish was sued over.

Last edited:
Reactions: navychop
Since Dish's auto hop is lame, they should look into licensing the TiVo commercial skip technology, or use the ques in the video stream that TiVo uses to give us a one button commercial skip.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
TIVO is not a re-broadcaster so doesn't have to worry about and contract issues

Bingo!

Since Dish's auto hop is lame, they should look into licensing the TiVo commercial skip technology, or use the ques in the video stream that TiVo uses to give us a one button commercial skip.

The above is why its more than simply licensing Tivo's technology. Even if Dish had their technology, they still have to deal directly with the broadcasters, where Tivo does not.

Besides, I believe the settlement between TiVo and Dish have Dish access to TiVo patents. Doesn’t help.

The TIVO method is patented and was also a matter that Dish was sued over.
I'm fairly certain that Dish wasn't sued by TIVO over any commercial-skipping patent infringement. TIVO didn't release their commercial-skipping until ~2 years ago or so. The Dish/TIVO lawsuit goes back to 2004-2005 or so and had to do with 'trick play' functionality (FF, RW, Pause, Play, etc), not commercial-skipping.

I'm fairly certain that Dish wasn't sued by TIVO over any commercial-skipping patent infringement. TIVO didn't release their commercial-skipping until ~2 years ago or so. The Dish/TIVO lawsuit goes back to 2004-2005 or so and had to do with 'trick play' functionality (FF, RW, Pause, Play, etc), not commercial-skipping.
You are correct, my bad. The lawsuit over Dish AutoHop was by Fox and had to do with contract details and copyright. The copyright claims were thrown out and Dish settled with Fox, only enabling AutoHop after 8 days.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Like others have stated, it has nothing to do with patents or technology.. it’s all because of contracts with the networks. Dish has to negotiate with the content creators.. TiVo does not.. they can skip whatever they want and The Network’s can’t do anything about it.

Reactions: dishrich
Although not quite as good as AutoHop, I just say "Alexa, skip forward two minutes." (for example) and it works. This is not as good as having it automated, but at least I don't have to pick up the remote control or wear out the skip buttons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)