OTA Channel Display Option Removed After Latest Firmware?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DishSubLA

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
While one of my 722's got the update with improved menu options and HD only display for sat channels, my 722K just got the up few days ago, but I noticed something that is irritating: I can no longer set my options to display the OTA ONLY at 2-99. In other words, I had it set up to display ONLY the OTA--received via atnenna--in the yellow colored designation at the 2-99 range while I left SAT LIL at the 6300. I used this feature to prevent accidentally selecting a SAT LIL in the 2-99 range (my family does this goof a lot) so I was assured to use my OTA FIRST for all broadcast recording (we record a lot of local network fare sometimes 3 shows at once), then use the SAT LIL if necessary. This allowed the SAT tuners to be free for other recordings.

I am wrong or is the feature still somewhere in the munus?

Now it seems that the mixed display of LIL HD and OTA on the 2-99 range is the default with NO WAY to change it. I went into the Local Channels menu and confirmed that the "Channel Display" button (feature) has been REMOVED. Another 722 with the old software still has the "Channel Display" button.

I certainly see the need, and ever begged, for the HD only display option for SAT channels, but I don't know why Dish felt it necessary to remove the "Channel Display" option from the Local Channels menu, as only the Power Users would have bothered to mess with this, and I have good reason and preference to leave 2-99 for ONLY OTA via antenna and HD LIL at the 6300. From my view Dish could have just left the Channel Display feature as is as it always defaulted to the mixed SAT and OTA display in the 2-99 range anyway, but at least before we had the option to customize it. Thanks Dish for making things a little more complicated at home as I'm going to have to deal with users accidentally selecting the SAT LIL (very easy for them to get confused) and having to fix the timer myself.. The previous feature made thins easier here at home.

until you just mentioned it, i had no idea anybody would ever do that. now that I think about it, it does kinda make sense. i would assume, since dish provides LIL, they would assume that most/all people do it the exact opposite as you. Sat LIL for most and OTA only when you have to. most likely this option is gone for good. but i will ask.

Yeah, pabeader, I think Dish did it thinking either nobody uses it or they just figured people could easily see both OTA and LIL easily enough, but I think that is because the engineers DON'T ACTUALLY USE the boxes either very much at home or the way some do. In other words, I don't think the engineers have had to deal with having both OTA and LIL displayed side-by-side and having to set a LOT of timers and the subsequent "WE CAN'T RECORD OR WATCH LIVE name the SAT channel. "That's because you accidentally set to record on a SAT LIL, NOT an OTA." "Oh, I THOUGHT I set it to the OTA and . . . I see I should have selected one line DOWN, but they are close together, I hit the wrong one." The engineers haven't experience how easy it is to select the WRONG channel: OTA vs. LIL. I'm certain their argument is "Well, with the mixed view you can see all the timer icons and fix from there." But that isn't how it works in the real world as we had it at mixed display before we finally decided on OTA only at 2-99 and it solved our problem. Please keep in mind I am the only tech type in the house, all the others are clueless and always choose the wrong OTA vs. LIL.

It certainly is NOT a deal breaker, but considering that the OTA only feature was buried in the menus and the vast majority of subs would just let it be at mixed display, I regret that the option is no longer there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)