OTA Channels

JeremyL

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Chatham, IL
Anyone else's 922 forgetting it's OTA channels?

It's happened to me twice now. I notice they're gone and go into settings to see what's up. The OTA setup lists a bunch of garbage characters in each slot, and won't let me re-scan unless I reset the receiver.

Is it just another bug with the 922?

That happened to me two or three times. A hard reset fixed it. I did not have to re-scan, but had to wait till the next morning for the OTA channels in the guide to populate.

Thanks!

I did a hard reset and they came back. Of course, it lost all my timers and I had to restore from the remote.

I was wondering if it's a bad OTA module, or just the buggy 922.

I'm definitely considering going to a Hopper when they come out. My only concern is the lack of OTA on the Hopper.

Had the same thing happen and then when I rescanned the locals it listed each channel 4 times. After a couple of hard resets it listed each channel once, but unable to delete channels that I didn't want in my list of locals.

Thought it was my 922, now know it's causing other folks problems as well.

May have to switch to the Hopper when it comes out, OOPS no OTA for it as of yet. Hang in there 922!

Had this same thing happen to me this morning. When I first turned on the receiver the aquiring satellite signal message was on. Thought it was because of the inch of wet snow we had overnight. When I finally did get a picture back I had the satellite channels but not OTA. Tried unsuccessfully to force a guide download,(might have been doing it wrong). When I went into the local channel list all the locals had weird alien symbols. I have seen the same thing before on computers when the file is corrupted. Tried doing a channel re-scan but nothing happened. I will try re-booting and play with it more tonight but it sounds like an update may have caused this if several people are having the same problem.

As far as I know, you cannot force a guide download on the 922. You have to wait until tomorrow for the guide to populate.

I remember when I had a 922, that you could turn off the 922 and wait about 30 minutes and it would update on it's own. Don't know if it still works that way though.

I remember when I had a 922, that you could turn off the 922 and wait about 30 minutes and it would update on it's own. Don't know if it still works that way though.

It still does,but the issue is deeper than that,people need to access what is happening and make the proper adjustments.Dish is beta testing the Hopper and Joey,it has PTAT which has to do with locals on satellite.I see changes in my guide every day and sometimes several times a day in my guide with my HD locals,while I don't see any problems with my SD locals.

I bought my 922/wMT2 because at the time it was not offered by DISH,I wanted the new format to see and test it for myself.Here is my solutions to the problems I have seen:

I took out my MT2,to be reinstalled at a later time when issues subside.

I set up my local channel timers to use my SD channels only(setup guide option for SD&HD).

Make sure my guide list is always set to My Channels,no other option.

I do not do a Favorites List because it will get jumbled up with these issues.

I try to stay away from going into Duo Mode when I do I lose timers.

These are a few of my solutions to make things work right on my 922,the people that are running the 722k are also experiencing similar issues.

Good Luck!.:)

Last edited:

Actually now that I think of it DISH Tech Support had me bring up System Info,then turn it off for 1/2 hour for the guide to reload.;)

But for some reason(s) I did something (can't remember,blame the meds) and the guide redownloading screen appeared.I do remember I tried to force a guide download in the afternoon,maybe that's the difference?.

Last edited:
Tonight's 922 Saga:

Everything was working fine. We watched a program on the DVR, then watched one recorded earlier in the evening. Once it was done, the guide and everything else was completely responsive (except it wouldn't let me select any channel), but no audio/video from either sat. or OTA would display. The guide said it was recording three things, but the DVR menu showed only one recording in progress. When I selected the one in progress I got nothing.

I did a front panel reset and it came back. Of course it had lost all of my timers again. I restored them from the remote, but it never populated the recordings - just displayed no timers set when I went into daily schedule.

I've just about had it with this thing. A DVR that can't be relied upon to record shows is pretty useless.

Wed. night and continuing into Thur. morning when trying to switch from a OTA channel to a sat. channel the aquiring sat. signal message came up and basically froze everything. The only way I could navigate away from that was to go into the menu and pull up the guide from there and select a OTA channel to go back to. I did not try going to another sat. channel so I don't know if that would have worked.

My guess is that this is somehow related to the last problem I had. Thankfully I haven't lost any timers yet but I don't know what to expect the next time something happens. If this is happening because Dish is beta testing the Hopper/Joey PTAT (as one person posted) they need to KNOCK IT OFF.

I had that happen to me, switching from an OTA channel to a SAT channel. In my case, the OTA channel lost signal just as I was making the channel change, and the message propogated to the SAT channel I was trying to tune in. I do believe it's related to the "partial/complete signal loss" message people have been getting on SAT channels caused by an OTA tuner being on a weak OTA channel.

All of my OTA channels show a signal strength of 100 so I don't think my problem had anything to do with a weak OTA channel but who knows.

All of my OTA channels show a signal strength of 100 so I don't think my problem had anything to do with a weak OTA channel but who knows.

If you go to AntennaWeb - Home or TV Fool you can see if you may have multipath problems and believe me that can cause problems.

But if your using a highly directional antenna I would recommend making sure your antenna is aimed exactly at the station(s) your viewing.

By the way that is why I took out my MT2.And since then no issues,with no MT2.

But my problem was the previous owner's local channels information were showing up in the guide(both SAT&OTA) and it took three times,the third time being the DISH Tech came out saw the problem and the Tech he got knew how to fix it for good.

Last edited:
JeremyL said:
.....I've just about had it with this thing. A DVR that can't be relied upon to record shows is pretty useless.

Maybe it's time to hop to a new receiver. I'm hoping there will be a special deal for ViP922 owners.

Well, the monthly charges will be the same. Does she see any value in what the H/J has to offer, including, presumably, more reliable operation than the ViP922?

Well, the monthly charges will be the same. Does she see any value in what the H/J has to offer, including, presumably, more reliable operation than the ViP922?

Believe it or not ever since DISH Tech finally got the previous owner's locals from showing up in my guide it looks like it's going to be and has been rock solid so far(knock on wood).But time will tell I still have not put my MT2 back in the 922,but at least with it I do have that option and until we see what DISH's OTA answer is to the Hopper my actual decision to go with the Hopper may depend on that.Right now it's just good to keep peace in the family.;):D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)