OTA Digital channels resets 811 unit

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Elahrairah

Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
Help,

Anyone seen this? This problem started about a month ago.

When using my 811 reciver for OTA channels, I can pick up all of the analog channels fine, however, when picking up the digital ones, some channels freeze out the unit and it reboots (step 1 of 5, step 2 of 5, etc.)

If I don't catch it as soon as step 5 is complete (and change the channel to 8000), it will immediately freeze and reboot again.

This is only true on channels 4 (NBC), 5 (WB) and 9 (ABC). CBS, PBS, FOX and the others are OK.

Remember, the analogs work fine (NBC 4-00 is almost perfect in reception, 4-01 is at 85% or so, but a black screen and it will not allow me to change the channel up or down again. I must wait 30 sec or so for it to automatically reboot)

Please help. I need HD local programming.

BTW, are local HD channels available under the new HD set up (with the VOOM channels?)......meaning, can I avoid the OTA antenna alltogether? Is the quality the same as OTA?

I've noticed that quite a few stations have been changing PSIP channel identifiers lately...this has affected my 3rd generation 811 8-VSB tuner and it's also affecting some VOOM receivers with pre v7 software. Anyway, do a rescan and/or manually delete and add the channels you are causing your grief. The PSIP channels ids will get refreshed, which should [hopefully] correct the problem.

Mine does this as well. Another annoying thing it does: it says the antenna has been disconnected and the signal shows ZERO. If I hit up/down on the channel selector it comes in just fine. My signals are all above 85% all the time, so I have no idea what it is doing.

The 811 will not handle multipath problems. When the signal goes to zero is a symptom of multipath. Mine did this until I moved the antenna from the attic to the roof. When I did this I got solid 95 signals on all receivers and the 811 quit acting up.

Thanks for the suggestions: Results:

I never moved my antenna in 18 months or so, and this just started, so I don't think it is that.

I cannot rescan as I have to tweak my rabbit ears a bit for each channel, so I had to input them all individually.

When I delete the channel then go to "Add DTV" and choose that channel, it stays at 0%....even for channels that work!! Therefore, I cannot add them back in.

I called Dish and talked to three of thier people and after an hour of trying this and that, they decided to send me a new 811. I asked about upgrading so local HD are included, but I have to sign a commitement, which I won't do.

Hopefully the new 811 will work, if not, I have to consider upgrading or going to cable.

Thanks again.

Elahrairah said:
I cannot rescan as I have to tweak my rabbit ears a bit for each channel, so I had to input them all individually.

Rabbit ears... There is your problem. Put up an outside antenna.

I had another goofy issue with my 811 last night. I had it tuned to my local OTA PBS with a timer to fire at 8pm to record American Idol and the clock icon flashed but it never changed the channel. When I noticed this at 8:48, I hit the Info button and it said a manual timer was to fire at 7:48, which was the wrong time to fire and it was an hour behind at that time. Weird.

I try to remember to never leave my 811 on an OTA channel if I am going to have an OTA timer come on because I have a lot of issues doing this.

My 811 wouldn't let me change channels and the guide was, for the lack of a better term, empty. I could basically hit the guide and info buttons and that's pretty much it. A soft reboot and download of the EPG corrected the problem. The receiver was off all night/day long until I turned it on after 9mm.

I down know what happened...just though it was very odd since the 811 has been a reliable performer in our home.:confused:

gdarwin said:
Rabbit ears... There is your problem. Put up an outside antenna.

I don't think so, remember:

1) Everything was fine for the last 18 months (since I first got Dish). Nothing has changed. I always had to tweek the antenna since day one.

2) I get 80-85% signal on ALL channels, yet it still causes the 811 to freeze on only some channels. 2,11, 28 OK. 4,7,9 BAD.

3) Even the channels that cause the 811 to freeze, I get a good analog signal.

You may be right, but I am starting to think something is wrong with the 811's ability to decode or something....

I can try to put my rabbit ear outside, just out of curiosity. I'll report back if an improvement is seen.

Last edited:
I've had the same reset thing happen, but only on NBC (Ch-7.1 Boston). Happened regularly for two nights, but now everything is working fine again. I didn't do anything that should help fix the problem so I initially suspected the station. But, I have a "MyHD" PC tuner on the same feed that showed no problems at all at the same time the 811 was acting up, so maybe it was the 811 after all. I didn't notice if there have been any SW updates over this period or not.

Bob

Update:

Got a refurbished 811 from Dish today. Hooked it up. No problems anymore. :)

Thanks to GDarwin for the idea of moving the antenna. I placed the antenna about 10 feet away from the 811 and on a windowsill that faces downtown LA. I now can pick up a few more channels!!! Most are just carriers or in Spanish which doesn't help me much, but it shows that it is an improvement. I also don't have to tweek between channels, I can pull 70-80% on all channels now. :D

I lost my locals on my 811 upstairs just last week and cant get them back i thought the 811 was to stay on the same programing it had .

I switched the 811 i had down stairs for a 211 back in feb without locals but left the other 811 upstairs in the bedroom and it was fine had locals and everything now just last week they are gone and show red in the list

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)