OTA Digital signal strength on the 811

Oakenshld

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Has anyone else had this problem? When I tune into my OTA digital channels, sometimes I have to wait for 2 or 3 minutes of "Error - digital signal lost" until it locks in. The strange thing is is that it flucuates from 49% then jumps quickly to 90% for a second and then back down. After about 10 or more of these, it locks in @ 90% and stays there. I can watch then for hours on end with no problems at all. But if I change the channel to another station (wait again on that one) and then back to the program I just was watching (for an hour or more with no problems), I have to go through that whole signal loss drill again.

Is this a problem with antenna alignment, the 811 or a signal strength thing?

Thanks for all of the great info

Oakenshld said:
Has anyone else had this problem? When I tune into my OTA digital channels, sometimes I have to wait for 2 or 3 minutes of "Error - digital signal lost" until it locks in. The strange thing is is that it flucuates from 49% then jumps quickly to 90% for a second and then back down. After about 10 or more of these, it locks in @ 90% and stays there. I can watch then for hours on end with no problems at all. But if I change the channel to another station (wait again on that one) and then back to the program I just was watching (for an hour or more with no problems), I have to go through that whole signal loss drill again.

I Have the exact same problem and badly looking for a fix. Somebody pls. help!

Oakenshld said:

Yeap, same thing! it's weird. I have deleted and rescanned I have manually added and nothing seems to fix it.

Oakenshld said:

Like many other 811 users out there, I've had this problem, along with many others. Last night I spoke with a CSR about my 811 having trouble with its program guide memory and another problem with it locking up. To my surprise, I was put on hold then a guy named Chuck, who claimed to be a senior teckkie started talking to me about the problems. He was aware of the OTA and guide problems and said a new software fix was in the works. I've heard this from them for a couple of weeks now and he assured me the fix would be out by the end of the week (I've also heard this before also). He seemed to be quite concerned about the 811 "locking up". Sometimes, mine will not turn off. The blue light will be on, but no signal will be going thru to my TV and the only way to turn it off is to reset the power switch, essentially "unplugging" the unit. The teckkies seemed to be baffled by this and asked me to call them to have it replaced if this happens again. Anyone else have this problem?

Lock up problem - no work-around?

melvis1907 said:
Like many other 811 users out there, I've had this problem, along with many others. Last night I spoke with a CSR about my 811 having trouble with its program guide memory and another problem with it locking up. To my surprise, I was put on hold then a guy named Chuck, who claimed to be a senior teckkie started talking to me about the problems. He was aware of the OTA and guide problems and said a new software fix was in the works. I've heard this from them for a couple of weeks now and he assured me the fix would be out by the end of the week (I've also heard this before also). He seemed to be quite concerned about the 811 "locking up". Sometimes, mine will not turn off. The blue light will be on, but no signal will be going thru to my TV and the only way to turn it off is to reset the power switch, essentially "unplugging" the unit. The teckkies seemed to be baffled by this and asked me to call them to have it replaced if this happens again. Anyone else have this problem?

Same problem for me - no sure-fire workaround or avoidance? Is there?

melvis1907 said:

Yes. I have this problem as well

I have a three week old JVC 811 I bought from Sears and it acts the same way. I thought it was a faulty unit until I saw all the posts here about the same problem with the 811's that Dish supplied..

Let's keep our fingers crossed for that software update..

Rick

Oakenshld said:

Yeah, I've got the same problem with one of my OTA stations. Hopefully that fix comes out soon!

Same here.

Mine locks up when the OTA channel breaks up... First the audio goes and then, if I leave it on the channel, it locks and I have to "pull the plug" to restart it. This just seems to happen with the OTA channels.

John

same problwm here. my next door neighbor, with the same terk 55 antenna, has no such problem. of course, he has a direct tv hd reciever.

any time frame for the new software?

My neighbor isnt much of an internet user but I've encouraged him to come to these forums. He also has the same problems with his 2 week old 811 install. We have the same OTA antenna but my 6000 out performs his 811 in every way except out putting standard and HD signal at the same time. I can live with it though and it makes me go over and pat my 6000 thanking it for not having these issues. :)

Damn. I just got my TERK 42 yesterday in the hopes of pulling in some sweet digital OTA channels. And what do I get? The same thing you guys have been getting. NADA. I only show 1 digital channel available and it can't pull it in at 49%. Anyone else here using the TERK 42 or similar?

ocaddict said:
Damn. I just got my TERK 42 yesterday in the hopes of pulling in some sweet digital OTA channels. And what do I get? The same thing you guys have been getting. NADA. I only show 1 digital channel available and it can't pull it in at 49%. Anyone else here using the TERK 42 or similar?
How far are you from the trans towers? I'm about 30 miles away and experimented with the terk 42 and 55? and couldn't get good signals. I finally copied the setup from one of my neighbors - RCA combo vhf/uhf 72" boom antenna mounted in the attic, fm trap on the leader, 811 receiver. I'm receiving all dtv signals in DFW area with almost all in the 85 - 90% sig strength range - sometimes above 90% on the majors depending on the weather. Trial and error is the best way go if you have the patience. Good luck.

MrDRC said:
My neighbor isnt much of an internet user but I've encouraged him to come to these forums. He also has the same problems with his 2 week old 811 install. We have the same OTA antenna but my 6000 out performs his 811 in every way except out putting standard and HD signal at the same time. I can live with it though and it makes me go over and pat my 6000 thanking it for not having these issues. :)
I have the same problem that everyone here is describing, but it is on the 6000. I have called tech support several times and have been told there is nothing they can do about it. I am about 10 miles straight shot to the transmission towers.

I live about 25-20 miles from the towers in Atlanta and I used the CM4228 and I get all the stations very well. It is a directional antenna but all the towers are basically in the same direction for me.

I always heard the Turk stuff is crap and I know people using the 4228. It works GREAT.

I've got the CM 4228 as well and it works great, except for that one station that I described above. The CM 4228 is a great antenna if all you want to do is get digital OTA. I'm about 18 miles from the towers in Seattle and get 80-85% sig. strength depending on the weather.

Well, I have the 811 and a Silver Sensor indoor antenna and I get all of my locals in about 85-90% signal strength. I live roughly 17-38 miles from the broadcasts, depending on which station. I do have to move my antenna slightly to pickup a given channel, but thats no big deal. I don't have to pay $6 a month for locals, and that pays for 1/2 of my Starz. :)

Edit: I live in Snohomish, WA and pickup channels from Seattle/Tacoma.

Thanks,
Bill

melvis1907 said:
How far are you from the trans towers? I'm about 30 miles away and experimented with the terk 42 and 55? and couldn't get good signals. I finally copied the setup from one of my neighbors - RCA combo vhf/uhf 72" boom antenna mounted in the attic, fm trap on the leader, 811 receiver. I'm receiving all dtv signals in DFW area with almost all in the 85 - 90% sig strength range - sometimes above 90% on the majors depending on the weather. Trial and error is the best way go if you have the patience. Good luck.

Well, the DFW market is running the towers at 60% power like all major network market's. I called the networks here in tulsa and the run at 30% power. Perhaps teh problem is the Dish software was designed to read higher power signals? I called the abc engine here in Tulsa and he told me to try when the mummy was in HD Monday night it leaped to 60% signal it froze alot but it was better than 49% and no picture. During "The Mummy Returns" last night the station was running at 60% power. I dunno if there is a software fix on Dish's side to better translatre lower power signals or we have to wait until the broadcast in higher power?

most likely antenna

I've been using my OTA only box along side my Dish 811 and while each has its own little differences I definately suggest antenna changes for the dropouts. Like others I had originally tried a Terk because the box looked pretty (graphics and pictures) and it was a bit more expensive so I figured it had to be better - after 2 weeks of barely getting anything I eventually returned it for a cheap amplified radio shack VHF/UHF indoor antenna and got most of my stations. I've since upgrade to a still pretty cheap indoor and now can get stations up to 50 miles away with almost no problem (atmospheric effects sometimes). The jumps up and down can be caused by multipath - used to be seen as ghosting or double images on analog transmissions, and with digital sometimes the box cant lock on to the proper signal if the second different path signal (going around mountains, buildings, etc) changes intensity. While the box isnt the top of the line in OTA receivers it is better I've found than the samsung OTA boxes, but just a bit under some of the others - basically if you are getting nothing with the 811 chances are its the signal so I would work on either the antenna or beat up on the guys holding the knobs at the towers.

I have the channel lock on problem with CBS here with the 811. My 6000 can lock on immediately. It takes a bit of time (about a minute) for the 811 to lock on to CBS. Now CBS is the only channel in my area broadcasting 1080i, the rest are all 480p.

It is definitely not a signal problem. I am 5 miles from the tower and get 82-90% signal on it. They are not full power (200kwatt EIRP), but they are at a respectable 47.1Kwatt.

I wonder if it is 1080i or that the signal is too strong (the other stations are under 10kwatt).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts