OTA diplexor and polarity issue

seanb724

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2004
NC
Hi,

I was just installed last week, and so far I'm really happy except for two somewhat minor issues:

1. ESPN News and ESPN HD sometimes don't come in unless I flip back and forth. I know this is a polarity issue, but I also know these can be hard to trouble shoot. It could be a bad LNB, but could it also be because of the diplexor?

2. PBS does not come in. I get a signal of 70-75, and need 80 to lock, and 85 for weather fade. It does sometimes jump to 90+, but just for a second or two. Could this also be caused by the diplexor? Or to word it differently, if I removed the diplexor and ran two cables inside, and powered the sensar ii with the power adapter, would I get the necessary jump in signal?

I should note that my voom STB does not have the diplexor on the back of it. Instead, my installer put one on the single cable that comes in from the dish/ota and split that, running to the two different inputs on the back of the STB (OTA and sat).

My current OTA is just 6' off the ground, and I could move it up into my attic or onto the side of the house to get above the roof line (2 story house). All major channels come through at 99 degrees at signal of 95+, but PBS is at 353 and like I said above, has signal of 70-75 most of the time. It's only 13 miles away. 353 degrees is unfortunately back through the house, where is 99 is into openness. I would guess moving the OTA higher could give better signal, but I'm not certain. Would a rise of 200-25' make that much difference?

Thanks,
Sean

You need 2 diplexors, are you sure you only have 1? You may also try adding another antenna and point it toward your PBS. There have been other threads on combining antennas, I don't know what's required to do it.

I am using diplexors on my HT stb but not in the family room and I see no difference in signal quality or strength between the 2 but then I am not using the Voom delivered diplexors, I have a good pair.

I also have a weak local, WB that sits around 75% and Voom has fits with it but my Dish 6000 locks it in with no problem.

seanb724 said:
I should note that my voom STB does not have the diplexor on the back of it. Instead, my installer put one on the single cable that comes in from the dish/ota and split that, running to the two different inputs on the back of the STB (OTA and sat).
See if that's a splitter or a diplexer. If that's just a splitter - that might be causing your problems. You need to have a diplexer/splitter that passes DC Voltage on one side only.

Ilya said:
See if that's a splitter or a diplexer. If that's just a splitter - that might be causing your problems. You need to have a diplexer/splitter that passes DC Voltage on one side only.

It's an elite aspen d-2100-lx diplexer. From there, I have one end go to the sat. input on the voom stb. The other end (antenna) I have split, one going to the ant. input on the stb, and the other going into my TV which has an ATSC tuner.

/Sean

DarrellP said:
You need 2 diplexors, are you sure you only have 1? You may also try adding another antenna and point it toward your PBS. There have been other threads on combining antennas, I don't know what's required to do it.

Well, I have one inside - Elite Aspen D2100LX. Does that count as good? :) There is one inside the house and I figured there is one outside the house that connects to the OTA and the voom dish, but I haven't checked.

I hadn't thought of combining antennas. At this point, I think putting it higher would help alot so that will be my 1st choice if the diplexer is not the issue.

I thought I had read somewhere that removing the diplexer, running 2 cables, and powering the sensar ii with it's own power module would provide better signal. Is that the case? I think i only need a slight bump since I'm typicaly at 75.

/Sean

seanb724 said:
It's an elite aspen d-2100-lx diplexer. From there, I have one end go to the sat. input on the voom stb. The other end (antenna) I have split, one going to the ant. input on the stb, and the other going into my TV which has an ATSC tuner.
Yes, this diplexer should be ok.
I think the problem is with the LNB or with the outside wiring (poor connection somewhere).
I don't know if you can easily get to your dish, but you might be able to check the voltage supplied to the LNB with a voltmeter. Knowing the voltage there would tell you whether the problem is in the wiring/STB or whether it is in the LNB itself. If you can't do it yourself call VOOM and ask for service. An installer should be able to troubleshoot this issue. Just tell him/her that you think this is a polarity issue, since those ESPN channels require polarity switching. Good luck!

I called Voom the 2nd day after the install and mentioned the ESPN issue, and they asked be to give it another day or two. It's now been several days, so I will call them back.

I also let the install company know, and they forwarded it to Installs Inc, so they are both aware. They are ready to send someone out. But I wasn't sure what the official process should be. Go to Voom 1st, or go to the installer? Or both?

Thanks,
Sean

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts