OTA dongle question

Kirk1233

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 3, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
If you get the dongle (Hopper 3) will it only use the dongle for local channels you want and get the rest from the sat? For example, could I use it to record or watch from the Hearst channel I've lost while it can record or watch other locals I still receive from Dish?

The dongle adds OTA channels in addition to the satellite channels. So, yes, you can record your missing Dish channel via OTA. But, you may have to set manual recordings for it because you may not have guide information for it. All of the rest of the OTA channels will have guide information.

Reactions: donebu
Yes, you still have the local channels that aren't in dispute. The OTA channels are clearly differentiated in the guide, in yellow on the 722, not sure how it's done with the Hopper guide. You may or may not lose the guide data for the Hearst channel.

All of the rest of the OTA channels will have guide information.

...with the possible exception of any subchannels beyond the main ABC, CBS, NBC, etc. Channels like MeTV, AntennaTV, etc, may or many not have guide data provided by Dish in your area. Those are hit or miss.

...with the possible exception of any subchannels beyond the main ABC, CBS, NBC, etc. Channels like MeTV, AntennaTV, etc, may or many not have guide data provided by Dish in your area. Those are hit or miss.
Yes, I forgot those pesky sub-channels...

Reactions: DWS44
If you get the dongle (Hopper 3) will it only use the dongle for local channels you want and get the rest from the sat? For example, could I use it to record or watch from the Hearst channel I've lost while it can record or watch other locals I still receive from Dish?

That's exactly what we do when losing local channels off DISH. Just make new timers on OTA.

I have installed the new Dual OTA Adapters on both of my HWSs that are still on the old UI, version S544. Both Hoppers did self re-boots. I did not have to re-scan the local channels. Everything is working great. I was surprised I didn't have to do a local scan.

Reactions: TheKrell and DWS44
I have installed the new Dual OTA Adapters on both of my HWSs that are still on the old UI, version S544. Both Hoppers did self re-boots. I did not have to re-scan the local channels. Everything is working great. I was surprised I didn't have to do a local scan.

So did you get Dual OTA Tuners?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts