OTA dongle question

The Dish receiver will output the resolution you set. That's all the massaging it does. OTA recordings will take up more space on your DVR.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks Navychop -- I was thinking of getting a splitter for my OTA Antenna and going to the HDTV direct and also to the Hopper (for recording purposes). If I understand you correctly, there is no need to do that?

Not really.

But I do anyway. I get a good signal strength meter on my TV. Helps aiming my rotor.

But I am in a high signal area, so the splitter loss doesn't matter.

I have the Dish OTA dongle on both of my Hopper with Sling receivers. I receive 44 channels from both the Dayton and Columbus Ohio markets. Of coarse 19 of the sub channels do not contain Guide data. However, a few of the sub channels don't even have Guide data as evidenced from the Guide on my Sony smart TV. I do record some of the sub channel programs. Also the major networks from Dayton and Columbus have slightly different shows during nonprime hours.

I've been checking in periodically regarding status of the OTA dongle device.

Is it still only available from the one source?

Is it still only available from the one source?

Still not available from Dish directly, but there are several sources now, including ebay and Amazon. Search through some of the recent OTA posts in the Dish forum for some links to the different sources.

I purchased the dual OTA dongle for my Hopper 2 which dispalys only one OTA turner. I called the seller and they told me that after a Hopper 2 software update scheduled in May both OTA tuners will display. Is that correct? Anybody here try the dual OTA dongle on a Hopper 2?

I purchased the dual OTA dongle for my Hopper 2 which dispalys only one OTA turner. I called the seller and they told me that after a Hopper 2 software update scheduled in May both OTA tuners will display. Is that correct? Anybody here try the dual OTA dongle on a Hopper 2?

Yes, that is basically correct. It currently only operates as a single tuner. There is supposed to be a software update in the near future to activate the second of the two tuners. Knowing Dish, I'd treat "May" with a grain of salt, though. We can hope for "sooner", but usually get "later" ;)

Reactions: navychop
I have seen no formal review or any spec sheet but anecdotally reception seems similar. Sometimes someone reports getting one or two channels better, other times they losea channel or two.

Reactions: Almighty1
I bit the bullet and ordered the dual tuner dongle so I would have it when the upgrade comes. I am an OTA junkie because one of my favorite local stations is not in our Dish market....I live between two markets. Seems to be working the same as the single tuner one that now sits in a drawer in my entertainment center. LOL

Reactions: MikeD-C05 and DWS44

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)