OTA Electronic Program Guide

ranchhand

Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
As part of the MPG2 to MPG4 conversion, I was upgraded from the 811 to the VIP211 and no longer receive program guide info for OTA channels.

(I do not and have never subscribed to DISHs local channels.)

Has anyone else had this problem and if so has it been resolved??

Thanks

I have an OTA program guide issue unrelated to the original post but didn't want to start a new thread.

I currently subscribe to SD satellite locals. HD locals are unavailable for my area therefore I use an antenna. The program guide shows info for my OTA NBC, ABC and Fox affiliate but shows "digital service" for the OTA CBS channel. The satellite CBS channel does show programming info. Since I only pay for locals just to get the guide service I think it is time to get this fixed. It has always been like this since I got dish months ago.

I am wondering where the guide info comes from? And who do I need to hassle to get this fixed, the local CBS station or dish?

On a somewhat related note: I subscribe to my market (Harrisburg/Lancaster/York, PA) locals and use a 4221 in my attic for the HD channels... I am planning on mounting the antenna (and adding a preamp) in hope of pulling some Baltimore and Philly HD locals as well. If successful, will the Dish Receiver fill in those blanks (since I do sub to a local package) or since it is a different market, will I just get the frustarating "digital service" on those channels.

On a somewhat related note: I subscribe to my market (Harrisburg/Lancaster/York, PA) locals and use a 4221 in my attic for the HD channels... I am planning on mounting the antenna (and adding a preamp) in hope of pulling some Baltimore and Philly HD locals as well. If successful, will the Dish Receiver fill in those blanks (since I do sub to a local package) or since it is a different market, will I just get the frustarating "digital service" on those channels.

Yes, they should give you guide info for OTA channels you receive. I live in NY dma and receive OTA from Scranton/Wilkes Barre and receive OTA info for all but one set of channels (ION and it's subchannels).

Not sure about Philly, but most of the Baltimore & Harrisburg stations will fill in the guide. The only ones that still shows "Digital Local" is WHP's My 21.2 sub-channel, and WMPB-67 out of Baltimore, as Dish only uploads MPT's flagship station of WMPT-22 out of Annapolis.

Last edited:
I currently subscribe to SD satellite locals. HD locals are unavailable for my area therefore I use an antenna. The program guide shows info for my OTA NBC, ABC and Fox affiliate but shows "digital service" for the OTA CBS channel. The satellite CBS channel does show programming info. Since I only pay for locals just to get the guide service I think it is time to get this fixed. It has always been like this since I got dish months ago.

I am wondering where the guide info comes from? And who do I need to hassle to get this fixed, the local CBS station or dish?
Contact both. I had a similar problem with my ABC affiliate. The problem we had in our area was that our local ABC channel is 40/29 KHBS/KHOG. The channel that gets uplinked to Dish is channel 40 KHBS. Channel 29 KHOG is what I pull in off my OTA antenna. They are the same channel, just different call letters for the different towns.

Anyhow, after many many many months, and tons of phone calls and back and forth between Dish and the TV station, what Dish finally did was to add guide-only data for KHOG to the uplink. Problem solved.

Don't know if that is similar to your issue, but thought it might help.

Contact both. I had a similar problem with my ABC affiliate. The problem we had in our area was that our local ABC channel is 40/29 KHBS/KHOG. The channel that gets uplinked to Dish is channel 40 KHBS. Channel 29 KHOG is what I pull in off my OTA antenna. They are the same channel, just different call letters for the different towns.

Anyhow, after many many many months, and tons of phone calls and back and forth between Dish and the TV station, what Dish finally did was to add guide-only data for KHOG to the uplink. Problem solved.

Don't know if that is similar to your issue, but thought it might help.

Do you have contact info for someone at Dish Network who can help get guide data added? I live in the Terre Haute, IN DMA and pick up WICD, the ABC channel in Champaign, from the Champaign/Springfield, IL market. When I called Dish about not getting the guide data for WICD, they told me it was because I did not get the local channels for that market. Dish network carries WICS which is the ABC station in Springfield and is owned by the same company as WICD.

new digital channel added...

The NBC affiliate here in the DFW area recently (8/29) added channel 5.3-Universal Sports to our DTV broadcast. Does anyone know when or how often DISH updates their database? When I rescan my local channels on my 622 receiver this channel does not show up as of yet in the channel guide. However, I am able to obtain the channel when I rescan the digital channels sans the 622 receiver.

Many thanks.

Dish does not update their database.

The updates come from Tribune Media who gets them from the program providers. When your station reports the change it will soon appear in Tribune's database.

Do you have contact info for someone at Dish Network who can help get guide data added? I live in the Terre Haute, IN DMA and pick up WICD, the ABC channel in Champaign, from the Champaign/Springfield, IL market. When I called Dish about not getting the guide data for WICD, they told me it was because I did not get the local channels for that market. Dish network carries WICS which is the ABC station in Springfield and is owned by the same company as WICD.
WICD is not currently carried by DirecTV or the Dish Network. Our sister station in Springfield, WICS-TV, is available so that you can watch any of the ABC network programming as well as syndicated programs such as Regis and Kelly or Dr. Phil. To receive WICD we encourage you to use an antenna which will allow you to receive Champaign-Danville local news and if you have an HD TV you can receive all the ABC Network programming that’s available in High Definition.

If Dish does not provide a channel LIL, they do not uplink guide data for that channel.

You would think that someone over there (at E*) can use the OTA guide sent by the DTV stations to populate the guide. They do it for the PAL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)