OTA guide info problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Yeap, that's how it was explained to me. They actually use the "TSID" (it's a hex value, as I recall) that's transmitted as part of the PSIP data that the Dish receivers use. This TSID has to match in a database on Dish's end and if it doesn't, as you say, it defaults to "Digital Service".
Be nice if they included something where Satellite stations would just use the data from the mother station.
Would help a lot in State's with statewide PBS's, like MPT around here. I see their Baltimore stations, but since the Annapolis station is the mothership, no guide data.

So that explains why every DTV set sold in the country can't display the PSIP data. Oh, wait, it's part of the requirements of having an ATSC receiver. Every DTV set CAN interpret and display the PSIP data.

Now, if you want to gripe about accuracy or the amount of advanced data stations are putting out, that's fair. But don't try to peddle some BS that Dish can't read the data.
Dish could use the data, but since it's not consistant between every station, then it is worthless for DVR scheduling purposes.

This TSID has to match in a database on Dish's end and if it doesn't, as you say, it defaults to "Digital Service".

Good luck getting this fixed too ! Even when it's an error on Dish's end, I suspect that no end-user will have much luck getting it resolved. I had to get in touch with a local station, who in turn contacted Dish and eventually got it fixed. Well, partially fixed... It involved my local PBS, which has (5) channels. They had two swapped around. Got them to fix that and they broke another channel. To this day, it still says "Digital Service".

Funny (in an ironic sense) that the designers go through the trouble of using a TSID to either assure accuracy or default back to a standard, essentially non-informational listing, only to have it botched it up in the end anyway by a ham handed operational miscue.

Dish could use the data, but since it's not consistant between every station, then it is worthless for DVR scheduling purposes.
It's my understanding that neither DirecTV nor TiVo use PSIP with their DVRs also. Seems as if they've all run into the same concerns about the reliability and/or quality of the data.

Directv you put in your main and secondary (if you have one) zip code and it loads all the guide info for locals in those areas.

I dont have a DVR with a OTA tuner in it but my old D10 receiver I use for OTA only. I loaded my main zip and a secondary (for a distant local) and the guide filled up for all channels including the subchannels on Ion (which neither company carry), the PBS subchannels (D* carries 2 of the 4 stations) and a Fox distant (which D* doesnt carry at all)

Dish most certainly DOES read and use PSIP data in EPGs. They do it in their Dish DtvPal DVR. Works fine in the remote area I use it in WV. Not as good or lengthy or as far into the future as the Tribune stuff used in their sat boxes, but much better than setting timers manually.

Dish most certainly DOES read and use PSIP data in EPGs. They do it in their Dish DtvPal DVR. Works fine in the remote area I use it in WV. Not as good or lengthy or as far into the future as the Tribune stuff used in their sat boxes, but much better than setting timers manually.

Thats true. I have a DTVPal DVR too and the "distant" CBS & Fox I get if I use that zip code CBS goes 7 days out but Fox subchannel goes about 10-11 hours

The rest I pick up which are my local Minneapolis vary between 11 hours and 7 days..shows the subchannel info too

Well, there's the misconception. Locals don't transmit program guides. It's all done by third parties, in Dish's case, Tribune.

I think Jim S. meant Dish boxes should use the PSIP megadata that is transmitted locally, as Dish legacy HD boxes did years ago.

However, Jim S.: that would mean that a fair number of people would no longer subscribe to Dish LIL's just for the guide data Dish provides for OTA's appearing on the Dish guide. Charlie would make less $$$. However, if Dish can't get the OTA multiplex channels right for the price we pay for LIL and OTA program guide, as TiVo does to a high degree also using Tribune, then Dish should open up the boxes to PSIP. It is probably a secret that a software update could allow this. It wouldn't surprise me.

Since all DISH programming packs come with Locals by default now, it really doesn't matter if they allow their boxes to read the psip data in the air. You can't drop your locals anymore so why not allow it DISH?

I do receive my local OTA from the mother station such as KELO, KDLT, and KSFY. But I receive several stations that Dish doesn't carry. Will I receive the program guide for these stations?

I do receive my local OTA from the mother station such as KELO, KDLT, and KSFY. But I receive several stations that Dish doesn't carry. Will I receive the program guide for these stations?

it depends on if Dish has the guide info for that channel. There are some subchannel info that Dish carries for the OTA channels even though they may not carry the channel in the satellite locals.

I thought we had a list of the "virtual" info. I know in the uplink report they show new info added by DIsh

For my locals, for (primary) channels carried by Dish, they do provide all sub-channel data also.

Butcha said:
But I receive several stations that Dish doesn't carry. Will I receive the program guide for these stations?
No

Since all DISH programming packs come with Locals by default now, it really doesn't matter if they allow their boxes to read the psip data in the air. You can't drop your locals anymore so why not allow it DISH?

Some of us are grandfathered, at least until we make a programming change. I don't get, or pay for, my locals. Don't want 'em. I watch very little OTA at home now, and have a single manual timer. We watch more OTA where we have the RV, and use a DTVPal DVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts