OTA Guide Info

Has anyone seen, or does anyone know of a DTV broadcaster using the PSIP to the fullest, or even to a fraction of it's potential? My understanding is that the broadcasters have the ability to encode all program information with the program stream. The receivers are supposed to be able to decode this.

This is different from the DBS service providing information for channels they are not carrying.

gpflepsen said:
Has anyone seen, or does anyone know of a DTV broadcaster using the PSIP to the fullest, or even to a fraction of it's potential? My understanding is that the broadcasters have the ability to encode all program information with the program stream. The receivers are supposed to be able to decode this.

This is different from the DBS service providing information for channels they are not carrying.

True.. that was in my mind when I replied. I am not sure if Dish plans on using PSIP as the first attempt with local Dish info as a fall back and finally if that fails display zippo. ;) That would be the way It should work, but I havent' a clue on the details and the state of PSIP info accross the nation.

GaryPen said:
Doesn't anybody else find it somewhat annoying that Dish hasn't been able to impliment it, even though DirecTV has been doing it for years, and newborn Voom can do it?

Hopefully, Dish will finally have it up and running this summer.
I take it all as a matter of priorities. My priority now is to get my local PBS-HD to lock in as quikly as all my other locals. Once that is done then I will probably be sqawking about the program guide too. :D

Mike

WeeJavaDude said:
True.. that was in my mind when I replied. I am not sure if Dish plans on using PSIP as the first attempt with local Dish info as a fall back and finally if that fails display zippo. ;) That would be the way It should work, but I havent' a clue on the details and the state of PSIP info accross the nation.

I have asked this question in the past about the PSIP data but no one has really given me a straight answer. If a broadcaster did utilize PSIP for program info, would it just be for the show that is currently on, or could they put future programming info in it like the EPG?

WeeJavaDude said:
It was mentioned on the Last Technical Chat as coming down the pipe. If you are looking for an official road map, I don't think you will find one. I have never seen a road map for any Sat/Cable company in terms of software fixes.

Ok, I thought so, but had to check as you sounded like you had access to privy info.

Well they said that the 921 would be getting the OTA data sometime in June, so I would think they'd send it to the 811 at the same time.

But tonight I stumbled onto something with the OTA recall to a SAT channel. My ABC station does not use any PSIP data to label it's station and remap the RF channel and for some reason because of that I'm able to recall between OTA and SAT. this only works on the station without the remapping the other locals it does not work on...

SatinKzo said:
Ok, I thought so, but had to check as you sounded like you had access to privy info.

Me.. Nah!!! I am in the dark as the next guy. I did not give the July time frame... someone else gave that. I just wished it would happen then. ;)

gpflepsen said:

We have one or two here in Dallas that are putting program information into the stream, and my Samsung OTA STB picks it up and display it in it's guide. However, that's one or two out of 18 channels I pick up in Dallas.

snathanb said:
We have one or two here in Dallas that are putting program information into the stream, and my Samsung OTA STB picks it up and display it in it's guide. However, that's one or two out of 18 channels I pick up in Dallas.

Are you using any Dish HD equipment, and if so how do they handle the same stations with the PSIP info?

gpflepsen said:
Are you using any Dish HD equipment, and if so how do they handle the same stations with the PSIP info?

Yes, I am using an 811, and I get no guide info on the channels that do broadcast it.

snathanb said:
Yes, I am using an 811, and I get no guide info on the channels that do broadcast it.

I use the 811 too, along with many others. But have never heard about the 811 displaying the PSIP info.

The 811 has a feature of displaying the national network guide (not local) if you associate your digital channel with NBC, CBS or ABC in the "Add DTV" menu. Could that be what you're seeing?

What exactly those channels are?

Thank you.

snathanb said:

This is why the solution that Dish must provide must use the local data that their guide has in addition to the PSIP guide Data. If one set of Data should be drop from this functionality I would expect it to be the PSIP data for the reason you just mentioned.

markusian said:
The 811 has a feature of displaying the national network guide (not local) if you associate your digital channel with NBC, CBS or ABC in the "Add DTV" menu. Could that be what you're seeing?

It does? Mine certainly doesn't.

Is there something I must do other than naming the channel ABC, CBS, NBC, etc, when adding it via "Add DTV"?

GaryPen said:
It does? Mine certainly doesn't.

Is there something I must do other than naming the channel ABC, CBS, NBC, etc, when adding it via "Add DTV"?

I can send you the details when I get back home. But you can poke around the Add DTV area and see if you can find it. Anyway, it's not a great feature since it only works around prime time. Not all day. The rest is local programming.

-Mark

Thanks Mark. It's still better than nothing, I guess. How did you stumble upon it? This is the first I've heard of it. It seems to be undocumented. (Maybe it already does it, but never noticed, because it's only in prime time?)

I see on another thread that P267 is spooling as we speak. I'm looking forward to checking it out. Maybe we'll have OTA guide a little early! I guess I'll be going home for lunch!

Mark, could you post the details here later also? I just have a strange feeling you are thinking about ANALOG rather than DIGITAL locals. But if you have figured out a way to link digital OTA to network primetime guide info, that would be great!

markusian said:
I use the 811 too, along with many others. But have never heard about the 811 displaying the PSIP info.

What exactly those channels are?

Thank you.

my post said I get no info on my 811 guide, whereas I do on my Samsung guide.

KyDave said:
Mark, could you post the details here later also? I just have a strange feeling you are thinking about ANALOG rather than DIGITAL locals. But if you have figured out a way to link digital OTA to network primetime guide info, that would be great!

I apologize. Yes, it is the analog channels. Sorry for the false alarm.

-Mark