OTA HD Antenna Connections

gkjdc24

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Shawnee, OK.
Okay, all of this is relatively new to me and this may be a stupid question, but here goes...

I'm a recent sub to E* and I would like to get OTA as a backup when I lose signal. I was up in the attic this weekend and it seems that I have an old 70's style antenna up there already. My house was built in 79, (I recently purchased) so it's probably been up there since then:p.

Can I use that antenna in the attic to pick up OTA HD, or does it have to be on the roof/in the open?

Also, it has connections to it with that old twin lead flat wire, so how do I convert that? Certainly I don't use that same wire?

Do I need any other specific equipment for this to work? I'm only concerned with getting it to the TV in my living room and the 722.

Thanks in advance for any help!

There are adapters that convert from the twin leads to 75 ohm coax for running to the back of the receiver. You can probably buy one at WalMart. That and the coax cable is all you should need.

I assume that your antenna can handle UHF and VHF. KOCO-DT broadcasts their digital signal on VHF channel 7, and all the other OKC stations broadcast their digital in UHF.

You'll need to read the 722 manual to see how it scans for the local channels. They won't come in without you running the scan function from the menu.

I guess I need to take a closer look at it and maybe I can find a model number, but I'm not sure if it supports both UHF & VHF. Is there something that would identify it as such, just by looking at it?

Yeah, I saw another thread that explains how to go about running the scan from the 722.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
FYI: Not sure about the 622/722's but my old Dish 6000 would not get the locals unless it saw a sat, therefore you loose your sat signal, you may loose your locals also from the dish receiver....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)