Status
Please reply by conversation.

jesserulz233

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 8, 2005
South Carolina
Okay I am new to the HD world so this may sound like a dumb question. What is a good, inexpensive, HD antenna? I work at my local Wal-mart and the price range goes from $15 to $30. How may db's do I need to get a good picture? Thanks.

You are always better off putting the antenna outside, if possible. If not, can you install it in an attic? Like the previous poster said, check www.antennaweb.org. They will give you a good idea what size antenna you need for your area.

Go outside or attic with an exterior antenna, I use a UHF from Radio Shack, $24, and pick up the tower from 50+ miles. I was able to only get a 75% CBS signal with the set top antennas. The exterior antenna is 98%+ on all networks.

Two I have had excellent experience with....

Okay I am new to the HD world so this may sound like a dumb question. What is a good, inexpensive, HD antenna? I work at my local Wal-mart and the price range goes from $15 to $30. How may db's do I need to get a good picture? Thanks.

include the ~$130 Winnegard Squareshooter if you are looking for a more permanent installation (outdoors) with the best chance of fixing on signals, and the ~$30 SILVER SENSOR (currently carried at Circuit City) if you want a more simple indoor antenna that does a good job of capturing signals with a minimum of fidgeting with the direction it's pointing.

It really depends on your landscape (flat, hilly, clear or tree-filled), and how far you are from the broadcast towers. I get a very good signal from an indoor rabbit-ear antenna b/c my house is on a mild rise, the area is generally flat, and I'm within 25 miles of most local towers. www.antennaweb.org is an excellent guide, it won't lead you to spend more than you need.

If you are 1) within 20 miles of the transmission towers, 2) your OTA channels are UHF, and 3) your OTA channels are in the same direction, the easiest way would be a Silver Sensor indoor antenna for $25:

http://www.valueelectronics.com/accessories.htm

If you are 1) within 20 miles of the transmission towers, 2) your OTA channels are UHF, and 3) your OTA channels are in the same direction, the easiest way would be a Silver Sensor indoor antenna for $25:

If 2) and 3) are true but your distance is 50-60 miles ("fringe" area) then my pick is a Winegard 9032 (outdoors of course). Has the most gain of any I could find and I got mine for only ~$40. If you have more than say, 50ft distance to your set, then you may need an amplifier to overcome attenuation in the cable. And oh yeah, this is important, only use RG-6 cable (least attenuation factor).

http://winegard.com/offair/pdf/Pr-9032.pdf

I have a clear view to my towers located at 57-62 miles and I pull 'em in with no drop outs. All are xmitting at 100KW power though. If you have lower power stations you may not get them at great distances.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)