OTA HD signals

jcvaughan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Pacifica CA
Finally got an OTA antenna installed to work with my 942. I'm in a valley with hills but am able to get about 18 channels with it. Most of the signals have a strength of about 65-70 and work fine. the one channel that has the strongest signal (85+) keeps dropping out. What would cause this? Just curious.

I think the signal meter measures the quantity of the signal not necesarilly the quality. It's possible the signal has reflections (ghosts). You might go to http://antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx ...and find an analog signal from the same toweras your iffy sig and see if it has ghosts.

I just read some other threads and they mention using an attenuator for very strong signals. Could this help? Will it decrease the signals on the other channels?

Yeah, thats the worry is that it will reduce your other channels. But they are usually cheap so give it a try. Try to get one from Radio Shack. They have a good return policy so that if it does help you, you can return it. Just besure not to rip their packaging apart when opening your purchase.

jcvaughan said:
I just read some other threads and they mention using an attenuator for very strong signals. Could this help? Will it decrease the signals on the other channels?
Probably won't help and yes it will weaken all signals that pass through it. :)

Antenna installer, who once as engineer at tv station, noted that if the audio to video ratio on digital channels goes too far to audio (says it can happen some times) it can cause the video to drop out or freeze until ratio returns to normal.
I have little knowledge about such things but he adjusted antenna hight and video drops almost never happen now.

I too live in an area where the channels range from 65 to 90 digital - can not get analog channels at all.

Perhaps this will help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)