OTA HD with Dish/DirecTV Box?

jollyrgr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
Some time back I read that the now defunct VOOM satellite receivers can be used to receive OTA HD broadcasts; as long as the tuner was activated before they went under. I've been reading claims but find it hard to believe that a Dish or DirecTV satellite box can be used as a terrestrial HD tuner if a certain model. Do the OTA tuners in these work without a subscription to the respective service? Do they have to be activated first like the VOOM? I am not looking to receive off satellite with the tuner. I want the free OTA local channels in digital. My question is basically do I buy a dedicated OTA tuner or a satellite tuner instead?

Side note: Is the OTA "HD" similar to DVB broadcasts and can one of these tuners be "tricked" into receiving HD?

I know the Voom boxes WILL work in that way if they were once activated.

I'm pretty sure when a Dish/Direct box is deactivated, it does not work at all.

Voom boxes were only used for OTA because they were cheap after Voom went out of buisness.

Right now, you're just looking for an ATSC HD tuner.

Most older Dish boxes, that have ATSC tuners,do not have to be activated to receive OTA, just have to be able to see a satellite signal (I believe from 119).

I'm pretty sure the VIP series receivers are at least dead if not connected to a satellite feed, and may have to be subscribed also.

Even if the box is deactivated, as long as you have a signal from A Dish satellite (can be any of them) it will work

I have a 811 hooked in the bedroom instead of my Voom box (my CBS is O&O which makes the box reboot) and just have a input for 110

These legacy D* receivers will work for analog and digital OTA reception with no subscription or connection to a satellite dish:
LG/Zenith SAT-520
Sony HD100
Sony HD200
Sony HD300
LG LSS 3200A
LG HTL-HD
Samsung SIR-TS160 (this model requires that an access card MUST be inserted to get to the setup menu)
Samsung SIR-TS360 (this model requires that an access card MUST be inserted to get to the setup menu)

They will even build a program guide from the PSIP data sent out by the OTA digital stations. No program guide will be displayed for analog NTSC channels.

Of all the above, the following receivers probably have the best OTA tuners:
Sony HD300
LG LSS 3200A
LG HTL-HD

Check eBay AYOR. If you buy one of the Samsungs, make sure the seller includes an access card with the box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)