Ota Hd

Status
Please reply by conversation.

litig8

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Southlake, Texas
If I have an integrated HDTV and an OTA antenna, is this enough to receive HD broadcasts from local channels?

I will be subscribing to Direct tv in the spring, but at this point cannot purchase both HD and Tivo. My thinking is to go with the 3 LNB dish with Tivo, and an OTA antenna which would allow me to obtain the OTA HD broadcasts. Then, when I am ready to take on the additional subscription of HD and the HD/Tivo Receiver, I can easily upgrade.

Does this make sense, or am I way off base on this? Thanks.

Welcome to Satelliteguys!!

The only receivers from Directv that will allow for OTA HD locals would be either an HD receiver, or the HR10-250 HD-Directivo.

A standard Directivo will not pick up OTA HD channels.

When you do decide to order Directv I would hightly recommend Value Electronics. They will take care of you.

I must be confused

If my television has a built-in HD tuner, then why would I need to get the Direct tv hd unit (as long as i have no interest in getting any satellite hd programming. I thought the built in tuner avoids the need for a set top box to receive OTA broadcasts. If I am understanding this correctly, can't I just take advantage of my televisions hd tuner, combine it with an OTA and get my local channels in high def.

I gotcha now. I didn't realize that your HDTV had a built in tuner. That would be fine. I had misread your post earlier.

Thanks. Of course, with the extra money needed to invest in the integrated hdtv, i should take the money and go the hd-tivo route

I have never recommended anyone get an integrated tuner HDTV mainly because that extra cost will go to waste when someone goes to either cable or satellite.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)