OTA HD

JWBama

Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Can anyone point me to the previous thread about receiving OTA HD in my area. I think there was an antenna site that had lots of info on the type of antenna you need by your zip code to receive your OTA HD broadcasts. I want an antenna that can be located in the attic (or somewhere other than outside; my subdivision has restrictions against this :( !) Can anyone give me some info? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Just received my 811 & cannot receive anything other than the big 4. No CBS available in my area :( again! Tried a small indoor "rabbit ear" amplified unit from Radio Shack to no avail.

They can't stop you from having a 50 ft tower in your back yard.

I would go with a Wineguard 8200 and preamp and rotator being in Cullman AL. You should be able to get Bham and Huntsville with no problems.

JWBama said:
(or somewhere other than outside; my subdivision has restrictions against this :( !)

An illegal restriction... if they hassle you, take them to court, you WILL win.

I have just installed 811 a couple of weeks ago and hooked up a RCA 110" boom OTA in my attic. I purchased it at of all places, HomeDepot for about $50.00. I works great for me in my area. I am about 30-40 miles from the broadcast towers.

Something to look into but remember each location is different.

OTA

Off-subject, but, does anyone know if my ac ducting will affect my OTA reception in the attic? I have an 80" boom antenna in the attic, but it does have some ducts (silver ducting, looks like foil covered?) above it and beside it. Anyone had trouble with this?

Thanks,
js

Off-subject, but, does anyone know if my ac ducting will affect my OTA reception in the attic? I have an 80" boom antenna in the attic, but it does have some ducts (silver ducting, looks like foil covered?) above it and beside it. Anyone had trouble with this?

Thanks,
js

If you are talking about flex duct. I have the same thing. Mine was hanging from the the joist by straps. I simply cut the straps and lowered the ducts so they are now resting on my roof.(down by my feet) My antenna is now above the ducts. OTA reception is great.

How this makes since

I had not thought of doing that, thanks a ton Kevin. Currently FOX on channel 4 is kindof fuzzy, but the rest are crystal clear.

I am using the Silver Sensor Digital HDTV UHF Indoor Antenna Zenith ZHDTV1 that is available at Best Buy for $39.99. I can pick up all the digital stations in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and I am 40 miles from the ABC affiliate and the picture looks great.

We must have strong signals in DFW. I am also able to pick up all stations with an antenna in the attic and I'm at least 40 miles from the towers.

Hey Frisco, 121/Preston area here. I have an 80" from the shack in the attic here, but the 811 will be my first decoder and it isnt coming intil 12-26 (maybe) so I don't know how it will do yet.

It's sweet is it not. We are lucky. Last nights MNF was pretty cool. It's just wild that I am justing using a regular OTA antenna. The amount of shows in HD that you get OTA is more than I ever thought.

I'm at Lebanon & Legacy. I'm also amazed that an OTA broadcast can look so good. My wife doesn't understand why I keep telling her we're watching an OTA broadcast. She just looks at me like I'm an idiot for caring about something like that :)

Hey Frisco, 121/Preston area here. I have an 80" from the shack in the attic here, but the 811 will be my first decoder and it isnt coming intil 12-26 (maybe) so I don't know how it will do yet

I live in the Coppell area. I think you will be surprised at how good the 811 will pull in the OTA HD. Almost all of the towers are south which helps a lot in reception. We are also up higher.

Thanks RollTide! So do you think I'm wasting my time in the attic? I don't want to waste my time. I would like to give it a try, if it's feasable. Also, can you use a diplexer to run the antenna signal over the same coax to keep from having a new run in the wall?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)