OTA Hopper 3 Signal Status

dgcarver

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Bartlesville, OK
Got my Hopper 3 working and my antenna and OTA tuner installed. Signals coming in OK. My question - Is there any way to view the signal strength status for a station other than going to the OTA app in the menu? I think my VIP 211k displayed the signal status in the info screen for the channel.

Also, be cautioned. My NBC channel always showed 100% and even up to last night. But every recording I did of the .01 channel came out heavily pixelated, hanging and sound lags.

But last night, I had a thought. I have about 3 TV's off the OTA antenna so I was getting a conservative 6 db leg loss. I had an ancient Radio Shack 10db UHF amp (the old square shiny metal box ones) that i should have pitched years ago. Luckily I'm a pack rat.

I dug around, found it and just patched it before the downstairs splitter. End result as of tonight, all recorded shows are pitch perfect and no breakups at all.

So even if it shows 100% that does not exactly mean that it's up to snuff to record the OTA digital stream.

Also, be cautioned. My NBC channel always showed 100% and even up to last night. But every recording I did of the .01 channel came out heavily pixelated, hanging and sound lags.

But last night, I had a thought. I have about 3 TV's off the OTA antenna so I was getting a conservative 6 db leg loss. I had an ancient Radio Shack 10db UHF amp (the old square shiny metal box ones) that i should have pitched years ago. Luckily I'm a pack rat.

I dug around, found it and just patched it before the downstairs splitter. End result as of tonight, all recorded shows are pitch perfect and no breakups at all.

So even if it shows 100% that does not exactly mean that it's up to snuff to record the OTA digital stream.
My Fox channel has been showing "good" around 70% (it is 50 miles away) and has been clear. However, I am considering adding a preamp to the antenna. In the near future, I will be adding another Hopper3 and OTA with a splitter from the antenna, so I figure, I will need a preamp anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts