OTA in mountain areas

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
hello All,

I just moved recently to Camino, CA which is about 3500 feet. Unfortunately, with the move came the loss of my OTA Sacramento digital channels. The problem is, to get to my place we first go up the road, then down and ourhome is almost literaly in a hole, surrounded by pine trees. I currently have dish network working, so I can still get whatever high-def channels they have (wich is almost none!!). I wanted to see if I could still get any OTA channel by installing a roof-top antenna. I checked antennaweb.org and, according to it, I'm around 60 miles away from the stations and capable of getting almost all channels , with the exception of one, using an antenna type violet. So I asked the people that installed my dish to come on up and check that for me. Well, after spending 10 minutes on my roof (and ripping me off of $65 bucks!!) with their fancy $800.00 signal detector and an a weird looking antenna they said that I could barely get one channel and that it wouldn't be worth to put an antenna up. Because I'm stubborn, I started to play around anyway with a channel-master antenna I got from my old neighbours, and , just by holding it up about 8 feet I was getting signal for 3 channels very iregularly. The signal would jump from 0-50 for 2 of them; for one of them it would stay around 49 all the time. So, I've been thinking about trying again with one of those radio shack antenna that are supposed to have a 120 mile radius. Will that work, or the fact that I'm in an almost canyon surrounded by trees will prevent me from getting anything? What do you guys think? Is anybody in a similar situation? should I just forget about my OTA channels for now until DishNetwork finally has them? Or will I have to spend a fortune to install a huge antenna + amplifier to get maybe a couple of channels?

Thanks!

Francisco

If you want to try to get Sacramento HD stations, the following will provide your best shot:

Winegard HD09095P UHF-only antenna (http://www.winegard.com/offair/pdf/hd9095p.pdf).

Plus one of the following pre-amps: Channel Master (http://www.channelmaster.com/) Model 7775 (UHF only) or Model 7777 (also boosts VHF).

These can be purchased from Warren Electronics (http://www.warrenelectronics.com/) .

If you want to also pick-up analog VHF channels, get a separate Winegard HD4053P (you can aim it in a different direction from the HD9095P).

Channel Master makes telescoping masts, so you can get it as high as possible. Lowes stocks them and Home Depot may have them too (you could also try Radio Shack).

I have seen people use 40-ft to 100-ft towers in remote areas, but that is a very expensive option.

Hi,

Thank you very much for the reply! But, from your reply I have the feeling that I'll be taking my chances and still I may not be able to get anything in the end? By the way, are you in a similar situation?

Thanks,

Francisco

You should also look at Stark Electronics. You might get a better price on some of the items mentioned above. I've purchased from them before and have been pleased with product, price, and delivery. Only bummer is no on-line ordering. You have to make a long distance call to order. Big deal!

Stark Electronics

Fgsilva said:
Hi,

Thank you very much for the reply! But, from your reply I have the feeling that I'll be taking my chances and still I may not be able to get anything in the end? By the way, are you in a similar situation?

Thanks,

Francisco

You describe my scenario pretty good, except that I'm at 1150 ft, down from 1400 ft at the top of the hill and in a valley with hills all around.

IMHO, your biggest problem will be multipath, as is my case. I've installed a 40' telescoping mast, a Channel Master 3671, a Channel Master 4228 with a CM 7777 preamp and a separate preamp for the 4228 as both come in on separate RG6 quad cables. Not to mention a bunch of guy wires to keep the thing up.

I get one HD OTA channel very well, now. This is with my D* E86 receiver. I previously had E*, and the 811 that you have. With the latest software (at the time-269) The signal on the same antenna ranged anywhere from 49%-74%, never better. It was not consistant at all, although my D* receiver locks in all the time.

In other words, you can spend a bunch of money and not end up with anything, or maybe one or two channels. It's a gamble.

The frustrating thing for me was that when I got the antenna up and working, D* came through finally with locals for my area... :(

Anyway, I'm set if the satellite ever goes down..

Hopefully local channels will be planned for your area.

Hey Dave,

Yes, it sounds like a big gamble and I trully don't have that kind of money to spend at this point. So, are you now getting Digital local (with HD) channels through Dish or regular ? I can get local channels right now through dish, but not HD. Not even CBS HD. They offer to San Francisco (about 140 milies from where I am) market, but now mine. Well, I guess I'll just wait then and see how things develop with Dish having local digital channels. I've checked the iwantmyhdtv.com page and it seems that the bill was aproved but it wont' be for a few months until it becomes law and it is effective, from what I understand.

Thanks again!

Francisco

Fgsilva said:
Hey Dave,

Yes, it sounds like a big gamble and I trully don't have that kind of money to spend at this point. So, are you now getting Digital local (with HD) channels through Dish or regular ?/quote

I get one OTA digital channel.

Fgsilva said:
I can get local channels right now through dish, but not HD. Not even CBS HD. They offer to San Francisco (about 140 milies from where I am) market, but now mine. Well, I guess I'll just wait then and see how things develop with Dish having local digital channels. I've checked the iwantmyhdtv.com page and it seems that the bill was aproved but it wont' be for a few months until it becomes law and it is effective, from what I understand.

Sounds like your best bet is to wait and see what happens. You might even be able to get a CBS HD waiver if none is available to you.

Good luck!

Dave

DaveO said:
Sounds like your best bet is to wait and see what happens. You might even be able to get a CBS HD waiver if none is available to you.

Good luck!

Dave

yes, I FINALLY got that waiver and I now have the LA CBS HD :D

i live in nevada city at 4200 ft about 75 miles from sac and i dont know how far from sac but i have the biggest anteena radio shack sells and i get 3 6 10 13 29 31 40 58 all sac channels at around 90% plus i get 2 4 5 7 9 20 26 32 36 38 48 50 66 which as sf channels in high def most of the time around 70% and once in awhile i get my 3rd abc station 12 which is out of red bluff. What i found odd is how different even network television is. Like chanell 13 is one hour ahead of sanfran cbs. I have one 15db amp attached to it. Also when it snows it sucks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)