OTA Info in EPG

After doing more research...

E* stated they will NEVER support PSIP except mapping of channels .

I'd like to read that, because the statement, in itself, would be a smoking gun.

Please, sight the source material.

The 722 STB I'm referring to is the larger HDD capacity unit that was made available early 2008 (possibly late 2007).
I'm well aware of what box you're referring to .... doesn't change anything though. Gov't rules aren't going to change the way it works today. Call Dish and tell them they're non-compliant.

Dishnetwork's Response to 921's OTA Guide Problem!! - DBSTalk.Com

I still don't understand the rationale why can't I watch ALL the OTA channels on the 722 (the signal strength on those missing channels are excellent and I can watch them fine on the Sony KDS60A3000's built-in tunner)

You may indeed see a good signal when you check, but thermals impact signal consistancy and integraty. Keep hitting (View Live TV) on your 6.3 remote, and your OTA signal strength meter will be posted when a signal is at or above (or there about) 63 is present. Also understand, the Dish tuners are sometimes tweaked incorrectly in manufacturing. One 722 OTA tunner can out perform another by vast ammounts. If you're having issues with OTA, you can always request a replacement, BUT you may end up with a unit that is worse off than before!!!

Q: Are you splitting the signal (one to your 722 STB and another to your Sony)? You could experience as much as a 15db loss in signal by performing this task. I did it with my Aquos, but noticed a significant drop in signal when I did, so I dropped the splitter and went straight for the 722 RF input.

Q: On the other hand, if you're using a pre-amp or amp you could be over-modulating (over-pushing) the signal and in this case the tuner will choke!

BTW, Did you manage to see the date of that post? 12-16-04, 10:13 PM
It does not come from Dish, and someone even questions its authenticity in the string.

The provisional mandate was set back in Spring of 2006 and moves forward. Your sighting is almost a year and a half before this mandate.

I'm well aware of what box you're referring to .... doesn't change anything though. Gov't rules aren't going to change the way it works today. Call Dish and tell them they're non-compliant.

They're well aware of the issue, and like a stubborn child, won't act until made to. One can only surmise the potential losses in revenue from lost subs who'll unsubscribe to locals into locals for EPG services; perhaps it's too much to address, presently.

Q: Are you splitting the signal (one to your 722 STB and another to your Sony)? You could experience as much as a 15db loss in signal by performing this task. I did it with my Aquos, but noticed a significant drop in signal when I did, so I dropped the splitter and went straight for the 722 RF input.

Q: On the other hand, if you're using a pre-amp or amp you could be over-modulating (over-pushing) the signal and in this case the tuner will choke.

The signal is splitted -3.5db, the antenna is a Larcrosse-A.
I got the signal strength from the local channel setup within the 722, the green bar is over 80, on the Sony, the signal meter shown 86, so the OTA tuner in the 722 locked on to the signals but won't add them to the guide, hence I can't tune to them with the remote or anything else that E* has.

BTW, Did you manage to see the date of that post? 12-16-04, 10:13 PM
It does not come from Dish, and someone even questions its authenticity in the string.

The provisional mandate was set back in Spring of 2006 and moves forward. Your sighting is almost a year and a half before this mandate.

I know the article is old, but I can't find anything that say different. i.e E* will support PSIP.

The signal is splitted -3.5db, the antenna is a Larcrosse-A.
I got the signal strength from the local channel setup within the 722, the green bar is over 80, on the Sony, the signal meter shown 86, so the OTA tuner in the 722 locked on to the signals but won't add them to the guide, hence I can't tune to them with the remote or anything else that E* has.

Man, I don't know what to say... your 722 say's its happy with the signal, yet...? Does it say, "signal loss" or does the screen remain black?

I ask that, because when I switch to my local OTA PBS affiliate, and this only happens with the PBS feed (6.1, 6.2, 6.3), it takes up to 20 seconds for the signal to sync with the 722. In the meantime, I get a signal lost page. Why...? Too many factors to even begin speculating, but there's adequate signal (73 - 84). Phasing...?

If the wait and see sync idea isn't helpful, I think you have flakey OTA tuners on your 722. Simply petition Dish for a replacement. Trust me, I know what a pain it is to retrain a STB, but doesn't make sense to have a STB that doesn't function as it should.

Man, I don't know what to say... your 722 say's its happy with the signal, yet...? Does it say, "signal loss" or does the screen remain black?

I ask that, because when I switch to my local OTA PBS affiliate, and this only happens with the PBS feed (6.1, 6.2, 6.3), it takes up to 20 seconds for the signal to sync with the 722. In the meantime, I get a signal lost page. Why...? Too many factors to even begin speculating, but there's adequate signal (73 - 84). Phasing...?

No, I get all the other 12 OTA channels just fine. The missing channels are FOX-HD 8.1, ABC-SD 8.2, not in my DMA, then there are 16.1, a digital shopping network, 40.1 and one more that I don't recall. The 722 found them when scan local.

My PBS-HD, which is a national feed OTA starts missing from the guide together with its sister .3 subchannel (both of which not carry by E*) early last week, although I can add them back in unlike the other channels and I do get the EPG with those channels.

I think my difficulties starts with the L510 firmware, the unit is on L511 now.

I'd probably sub to locals just for guide data if it was accurate but they leave out several sub channels that I do watch and they have had incorrect guide data for PBS. Reports to tech support were ignored so I canceled locals.

vr005 - Are you saying that you can't watch OTA channels that your 722 is receiving, but are not appearing in the guide?

I thought that "non-guide" channels could still be watched. I think this issue may be peculiar to you and your particular 722, not to all users of the 722 that don't sub to Dish locals.

vr005 - Are you saying that you can't watch OTA channels that your 722 is receiving, but are not appearing in the guide?

I thought that "non-guide" channels could still be watched. I think this issue may be peculiar to you and your particular 722, not to all users of the 722 that don't sub to Dish locals.

You are correct, I can't get to those channels because I can't add them to the guide. I called tech support, they blame my antenna (which is not true, since the 722 found those channel and the signal strength is good and I can watch them on the TV's tuner), on the phone with the CSR for over an hour, try everything in the book, reset,;unplug power cord; check switch to force download of EPG etc. I told them the 722 may be bad, they told me it will cost $45 for a tech to come out to look at my antenna:confused:, no offer for an replacement unit becuase OTA is "NOT SUPPORTED" by E*

I also am not able to set the PVR to record "when we left earth" for new, it thinks the new ones are repeats. Do I have a bad 722?

One can only surmise the potential losses in revenue from lost subs who'll unsubscribe to locals into locals for EPG services...
I don't disagree that it will come down to $$$ but I'm willing to bet, Dish will NOT "give in" because of a high number of people unsubscribing over this issue. I'd venture to say, the vast majority of customers do pay for locals and in turn get the guide data. You're in the minority here....

At present, there is an active Senate investigation into the willful withholding of mandated stream content that is also supported by the NAB. TVs and all STBs with DTV tuners as of 2007 and 2006 must provide a minimum of mandated tuner services.

But again, the Commission's rules apply to ALL TVs and STBs containing DTV tuners manufactured Spring 2006 forward.
Can you give links or references to this ?

I don't disagree that it will come down to $$$ but I'm willing to bet, Dish will NOT "give in" because of a high number of people unsubscribing over this issue. I'd venture to say, the vast majority of customers do pay for locals and in turn get the guide data. You're in the minority here....
Gotta disagree. It is obvious that Dish does it this way to get people to sub to Locals for $5 per month. It's that simple. If people with OTA reception didn't need to subscribe for the guide info, they wouldn't. Digital OTA looks way better than Dish's overly compressed local service, other than the handful of HD Locals.

Can you give links or references to this ?

Federal Communications Commission
FCC 07-228 MB Docket No. 07-91
REPORT AND ORDER Adopted: December 22, 2007 Released: December 31, 2007
Chairman Martin, Commissioners Copps, Adelstein, Tate and McDowell

FCC PDF Link: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-07-228A1.pdf

This is the 'Third Periodic Review of the Commission’s Rules and Policies Affecting the Conversion To Digital Television.' You can always continue your research by addressing the retro versions of the Commission's reports, but FCC 07-228 contains references, addendum's as well as omissions/deletions concerning the first two issuances (end result, a running record).

You may also wish to read Dish's statement in regard to DTV transition and how the Commission did not support nor accept their position/posturing.

Search Criterium: ATSC PSIP (and/or) standard

vr005 - the 622, and presumably the 722, won't add an OTA channel to the guide when that channel is misssing the mapped channel number which is supposed to be contained within the PSIP data. For example - here in the San Francisco Bay Area our CW affiliate transmits their digital signal on channel 45 but maps it to their analog channel 44. It's been awhile now but in the past this station was missing the mapping information in their PSIP data and so I couldn't add the station to the Dish channel guide and therefore I couldn't watch the channel. Once in awhile a station will mess up their PSIP data and I will no longer be able to tune in that channel. These days this happens very infrequently but it is still a problem for the 622 receiver and presumably the 722 as well.

You can check for this with your problem stations by going into the add channel screen. When you enter the tranmitting channel number see if the mapped channel number appears just below. If it does you can add the channel but if it doesn't you can't add the channel regardless of signal strength. Unfortunately, if this is your problem, nothing can be done except to contact the station to get them to correct their PSIP information.

"TVs and all STBs with DTV tuners as of 2007 and 2006 must provide a minimum of mandated tuner services."

The above phrase does not appear to be in your link. I'm not sure there is a law or regulation actually requiring this, and that seems to be the point of disagreement.

Be careful what you wish for. Dish is not obligated to provide any OTA. They could comply by simply deactivating that feature completely.

The OTA tuner in the ViPs is for digital stations only. It does not pick up analog at all.

My ViPs picked up all local stations until recently. I can no longer pick up channel 26 WETA PBS. Not sure if it's a PSIP problem or weaker signal. Probably the latter, because my other tuners have difficulty bringing it in.

Gotta disagree. It is obvious that Dish does it this way to get people to sub to Locals for $5 per month. It's that simple. If people with OTA reception didn't need to subscribe for the guide info, they wouldn't. Digital OTA looks way better than Dish's overly compressed local service, other than the handful of HD Locals.
How many people with 622/722 receivers use an antenna ? I still say the minority....

Consider this too: The new version of the 722 they announced (is it the 722s ?) DOES NOT INCLUDE AN OTA TUNER as standard. It will be optional. Know why ? I'll speculate to say that most people aren't using the OTA tuner that Dish pays to have in the receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts