OTA Info in EPG

Thank you, Scott.

I think there may be some misunderstanding about what someone thinks is right and what is required.

Can we at least agree they are indeed impeding V-Chip mandates in regards to OTA?

My understanding, PSIP content contains the ratings code as well as name, content, as well as scheduling information. It's part of the stream.
Yes, PSIP contains that info, but the V-chip stream still carries the V-chip rating programming, which is the ONLY thing required to be read.

V-chip is different from PSIP.
Receivers can easily use V-chip without ever looking at PSIP.

From everything I seen, here and elsewhere, TV's and receivers are only required to acknowledge V-chip, not PSIP.
Broadcasters are required to broadcast both though.

Can we at least agree they are indeed impeding V-Chip mandates in regard to OTA?

My understanding, PSIP content contains the ratings code as well as name, content, as well as scheduling information; its part of the stream.

In this brief excerpt from a previous posting DTV transition, regarding V-Chip compliance...​

This is a sighting from the 'FCC Deputy Director of DTV Consumer Affairs,' and by definition, makes it fairly clear.​

"The V-chip is a technology that enables parents to block television programming based on a program’s rating. The ratings are encoded within the television signal. The V-chip reads the encoded rating information of each program and blocks shows according to the parents’ blocking selections. FCC rules require that V-chips be built into digital televisions and other DTV reception devices just as they are in analog televisions."

We always have a right to differ. We always have a right to interpret as we see fit, (unfortunately at times) right or wrong. We can agree to disagree. That's because the country we live in allows us those basic rights. As for advocating opposition to what is perceived as wrong, and being sighted by insults pertaining to one's parenting skills, and threatened with censorship, in doing so, is unconscionable, as what has been discussed does not exceed basic sensibility. I not once attempted to invoke hatred or insult. There are two completely different documents being discussed here, one being, FCC 07-228 MB DOCKET NO. 07-91. The other is, FCC DTV FAQS. Both, large in context, but both speaking in considerable different context and detail. I have attempted to sight from both.

THE DIGITAL TRANSITION was posted in full (The Dish Network Forum) and was very large, containing consumer information concerning the DTV transition. A very small section, pertained to V-Chip compliance ONLY, and that minute section was reposted in this string. The two main documents and contents, I have alluded to here, are vastly different in content, and composition. I feel Scott missed completely misunderstood what was addressed both here, and there.

I will take firm stand on this issue... Rude, inappropriate, and insulting remarks, concerning anyone's parenting skills vs facilitating services that are in direct accordance to the protection of children is, without question, very short sighted, and unacceptable, under any circumstances, be it by a webmaster, or any other parties. It is nothing short of sheer ignorance and utter hypocrisy to say anything of such irresponsibility, as it carries within itself, tones of libel and slander. This goes hand-in-hand with my original comment, regarding Scott's afiliation and proximity with Dish executives and his perceptions.

Last edited:
Well, posing as a victim, while very much in vogue in our culture, does not really help your case.

Can we at least agree they are indeed impeding V-Chip mandates in regard to OTA?

My understanding, PSIP content contains the ratings code as well as name, content, as well as scheduling information; its part of the stream.

In this brief excerpt from a previous posting DTV transition, regarding V-Chip compliance...​

"The V-chip is a technology that enables parents to block television programming based on a program’s rating. The ratings are encoded within the television signal. The V-chip reads the encoded rating information of each program and blocks shows according to the parents’ blocking selections. FCC rules require that V-chips be built into digital televisions and other DTV reception devices just as they are in analog televisions."

This sighting is from the 'FCC Deputy Director of DTV Consumer Affairs,' and by definition, makes it fairly clear.​

We always have a right to differ. We always have a right to interpret as we see fit, (unfortunately at times) right or wrong. We can agree to disagree. That's because the country we live in allows us those basic rights. As for advocating opposition to what is perceived as wrong, and being sighted by insults pertaining to one's parenting skills, and threatened with censorship, in doing so, is unconscionable, as what has been discussed does not exceed basic sensibility. I not once attempted to invoke hatred or insult. There are two completely different documents being discussed here, one being, FCC 07-228 MB DOCKET NO. 07-91. The other is, FCC DTV FAQS. Both, large in context, but both speaking in considerable different context and detail. I have attempted to sight from both.

THE DIGITAL TRANSITION was posted in full (The Dish Network Forum) and was very large, containing consumer information concerning the DTV transition. A very small section, pertained to V-Chip compliance ONLY, and that minute section was reposted in this string. The two main documents and contents, I have alluded to here, are vastly different in content, and composition. I feel Scott missed completely misunderstood what was addressed both here, and there.

I will take firm stand on this issue... Rude, inappropriate, and insulting remarks, concerning anyone's parenting skills vs facilitating services that are in direct accordance to the protection of children is, without question, very short sighted, and unacceptable, under any circumstances, be it by a webmaster, or any other parties. It is nothing short of sheer ignorance and utter hypocrisy to say anything of such irresponsibility, as it carries within itself, tones of libel and slander. This goes hand-in-hand with my original comment, regarding Scott's afiliation and proximity with Dish executives and his perceptions.

Call a Lawyer, please. This ain't going anywhere here!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts