OTA install issue

Ronald_Jeremy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Rock Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!
Voom installed my equip about the middle of last month. When the guy showed up he told me I would not get the all of the locals but to call Voom and they would upgrade the antenna.

Out of the 6 I am supposed to get, I get two. And one of them is PBS (bleh) :eek:

So I call and they tell me they are going to get me a huge antenna with amplifier.

Since then, I have had the initial work order not entered. Called back when I heard nothing. They then entered the work order and scheduled the appt.

Appt was a no show. Then they re-scheduled and on the next appt they set up the new antenna. Hooked it up and I immediately lost satellite signal. Not the OTA signal, but the sat signal.

The guy traced his cabling for a short and found none. He traced it down to a bad adapter. It is the cable adapter at the antenna. The one that goes from cable connection to 2 wires to hook to the antenna.

If he hooks that up the signal is immediately lost.

He re-schedules to come out with a replacement. Same thing.

Here are the details:

STB: Motorola DSR550 using the diplexor's provided from the factory.

Guide: I get all locals in the guide

Multi-Switch: Wineguard 3020. Inputs are wired correctly.

New Antenna:Not sure. I never saw the box. It is huge and on a 30 foot mast. (looks like the crap we had to use 30 years ago before we had cable)

Original Antenna: That wing looking thing that mounts to the back of the dish.

Installer:Subcontractor for Installs, Inc.

On the last service call I was talking with the guy and was asking where the amplifier was. He said there wasn't one. (They do local purchase and he bought this at Lowe's for about $100) I told him that there was supposed to be an amplifier. He said he would get with his boss and Voom.

I am thinking it is a voltage issue as I think this multi-switch fires voltage up the line and the antenna is not designed for it without the amplifier. I can't see sending power to something that is not designed to accept it.

He can hook back up the old antenna (which has a direct cable connection without the need for the adapter) and I get the two original OTA channels I was getting before.

Or perhaps there is an adapter that can filter the voltage.

Thanks in advance for any advice. There appears to be a lot of knowledge here. :bounce

Oh, all of my locals are mostly within 25 miles. One is 40.

Antenna web recommends medium directional size for all but two of the digital stations.

It recommends a medium directional with pre-amp for one station. And a large directional with pre-amp for the other.

Of the two stations I get, one is within the medium directional and the other is in the directional with pre-amp zone.

I am with 2 miles of an Air Force Base.

OK, I figured out the antenna is a channel master 3020 that Lowe's sells.

3020.jpg

It is un-amplified.

I also took a closer look at the multi-switch and it shows that it pumps 12V out the antenna connection.

Ronald_Jeremy said:
It is un-amplified.
I also took a closer look at the multi-switch and it shows that it pumps 12V out the antenna connection.
Ronald_Jeremy, welcome to the forum!
Looks like you have figured that one out already!
Yes, if the antenna is not amplified it cannot be used with a multi-switch that sends 12V to the antenna input!
Antenna would essentially short-circuit the DC loop and as a result the LNB on the dish would stop working.
Either have the multi-switch replaced with the one that doesn't pass the DC voltage to the antenna or buy a special connector that doesn't pass DC voltage.
Good luck!

Thanks Ilya,

I talked to the install company owner right after I figured it out.

He said he had been researching it as well and has come to the conclusion that the multi-switches are defective and firing too much voltage (more than the advertised 12v) and that was causing the short.

I tried to tell him he was wrong and that there should not be any voltage going to an unpowered antenna but he wouldn't listen to a lowly old customer as he had done his research. I told him the multi-switch was not the same as a directv or dish switch. It was designed for an amplified antenna. But did he listen? Noooo!!!!

The funny part is that the installer told me they have been having a lot of problems like this with the upgraded antennas. The owner told me the same.

He then he said he had a resolution. The ONLY way to fix it is to bypass the multi-switch and run a new cable to each receiver for antenna signal and then use a diplexor! :shocked I started to tell him that running it's own cable means you don't need a di-plexor but then said nah, I let him figure it out. :D

Myself, realizing (I hadn't read your reply yet) that the only EASY resolution was to replace the multi-switch or get rid of the DC voltage in the antenna wire I took matters into my own hands. I would be fine with them running the extra cable but I know they wouldn't fish the wires for free and I'm not going to have the stuff running over the outside of my house.

Anyway, I called a couple of electronics shops to see what I need. I found one and they told me they were out of stock on the item.

So, low and behold, I search Rat Shack. They had it.

Bought it. Installed it. It works. I now pick up most of my locals. (3 of the 4 ABC channels, the only CBS, 4 PBS's) It will only be a matter of proper aiming and raising the mast to get the rest,(Fox and UPN and NBC) but I will let them do that when they come out on the next service call. ;)

Inline 75ohm DC Voltage Blocker(RatShack Part # 15-1259) : $2.19

Knowing the installation company is spending bucks they don't need to because they are unwilling to listen to a lowly customer: PRICELESS :D

Thanks to all of the great posts on satelliteguys.us!! I did a lot of reading.

Ronald_Jeremy said:
The funny part is that the installer told me they have been having a lot of problems like this with the upgraded antennas. The owner told me the same.
No wonder! Isn't it amazing, that trained and experienced professionals who do these installations for living can't figure out how to connect an OTA antenna! Oh well...

Glad you took it into your own hands and avoided all the frustration.

For those who are having the same problem, here is the picture of that RadioShack Inline 75W DC Block (part# 15-1259):

15-1259.jpg

That's it Ilya.

For those reading, just connect the female end of it to the UHF/VHF antenna input on the multi-switch(provided your multi-switch says 12V DCadjacent to the connection) and then connect the cable running to the antenna to the male end of the adapter.

Two dollars and nineteen f**king cents!!! :D LOL. Gotta love the internet and the free flow of information. :up :heart

Looking at antennaweb.org I just need to aim a little left and I should get everything except NBC.

This is a directional antenna and the NBC affiliate is 13 degrees to the right of everything else and also the furtherest from me.

Oh well. I'm watching ABC and Auburn is kicking ass in HD!!!

Oh, and once the installers call me, I am going to inform them.

I would call Voom and ask for a credit on your troubles Ronald.

I had the simalar problem happen to me when they upgraded me to a Channelmaster 4228. The installer was sending voltage to the antenna which it was an unamplified antenna. Glad to see you figured it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts