Voom Install coming, questions about OTA Antenna

Sarcoptic

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Bondurant, IA
I am getting Voom installed on the 22nd and have a couple questions about the OTA antenna they used. Currently I have a RadioShack UHF 2160 antenna on my roof. It currently can get all the OTA channels possible in my area. There is no amp installed currently. I was wondering if the antenna provided by Voom is better than the one I currently have? Is the antenna ampd? Finally my antenna is always pole mounted. Can the antenna Voom provides be pole mounted or only bolted into a roof. Thanks!

I just had voom installed 2 days ago

Sarcoptic said:
I am getting Voom installed on the 22nd and have a couple questions about the OTA antenna they used. Currently I have a RadioShack UHF 2160 antenna on my roof. It currently can get all the OTA channels possible in my area. There is no amp installed currently. I was wondering if the antenna provided by Voom is better than the one I currently have? Is the antenna ampd? Finally my antenna is always pole mounted. Can the antenna Voom provides be pole mounted or only bolted into a roof. Thanks!
I am in San Jose, California, and with the OTA antenna they installed I am able to get San Francisco easily, and even some stations from Santa Rosa

The antenna is installed with the dish, but have no idea if it is better than your Radio Shack 2160

I am very happy with what I have from them so far

Sarcoptic said:

if you can get all you local with what you have i suggest that you use you own antenna because the one that voom give you is a directional antenna and if you your tv stations are in more than on location then there will be a chance that you will not get all of them with voom antenna.
if you use the voom antenna they should just mount it with the dish then you only have the dish mounted to your roof.

Hmm, well actually all of my locals are broadcasted off the same tower. I think I will have them install their antenna that way they can't say its my own equipements fault. So they mount the OTA antenna to the dish, then the dish is mounted to my roof. Just wanting to verify all that.

i would use your old antenna, if it does the job now it will work with voom. how far from the towers are you? the first antenna they tried for me didn't pick up anything. they upgraded to an 8bay multi-directional and i got 4 stations. they mounted it with a mast on the backside of the satellite mast(temporarily). still waiting on a permanant set-up. thet were supposed to come today but due to the recent snow storm,had to cancel. i purchased a cheap antenna of ebay that has a powered preamp and rotor, it's sitting in my living room. i picked up 2 more stations with it for a total of 6. i will probably move it up in my attic and forget about the voom antenna.

I don't see how the Voom antenna could be better than what you have if you are getting all the available channels -- maybe it could get a stronger signal? I'd have them go ahead and install it, then you'll have both up and can compare. If the Voom antenna doesn't work as well, don't use it. Just connect the old antenna to the Voom box. That's what I'd do anyway.

As far as the mounting of the Voom antenna -- I'd find out who the local installer is and contact them. Tell them you'd like it pole-mounted and see what they can do. Might be an extra charge for the pole or something.

Hmm thanks for all the advice. I am hoping with their setup I by chance can get my ABC feed. WOI currently has a special FCC waiver so they are broadcasting at a very minimal rate, however my samsung stb gets some signal but never does a full lock. I am hoping with there amp antenna I may get it...

TYORK said:
if you use the voom antenna they should just mount it with the dish then you only have the dish mounted to your roof.
Here's a pic of my antenna:

P6261083Resized.jpg

Dog6869 said:
My OTA antenna Is not mounted to My Satt dish.. it is beside it.....

when voom first came out we did use two mounts but than the went to the extend poles of the back of the dish like the picture on this forum. but in the last 2 week they have went back to send out a separate mount that is about 3 or 4 ft tall .i prefer the extend mount off the dish that way you only have to drill 4 hole in the roof instead of 8.

snaggerbob said:
i would use your old antenna, if it does the job now it will work with voom. how far from the towers are you?

I just want to make the point that just because one can receive analogue OTA using a given antenna, doesn't mean that you will be able to receive digital/HD even if broadcast from the same tower. Many local stations are broadcasting digital at a much lower wattage than their existing analogue stations, though their seems to be a trend towards upgrading digital antennas.

That said, I never even had Voom install their antenna. I have a large antenna in the attic attached to a rotor that can pick up all my locals (including some broadcast from 40+ miles away in the mountains).

Why not have Voom install their antenna and then try yours as well later? You can always install an amplifier on your old antenna.

Best wishes,
CDH.

Sarcoptic said:
It currently can get all the OTA channels possible in my area.
CDH,
I for one was assuming that he meant he can get all the OTA channels possible in his area, which would obviously include the digital as well as analog. Just taking his word for it.

I agree with your advice. Have 'em install it. Nothing lost. See which works better.

TheTimm said:
CDH,
I for one was assuming that he meant he can get all the OTA channels possible in his area, which would obviously include the digital as well as analog. Just taking his word for it.

Quite possible! I just thought I remembered that others had posted on this forum who had assumed they'd be able to pick up certain stations digital that they were receiving analogue. In my area the digital stations come in pretty well though I have to arrange the rotor to a special sweet spot to be able to pick them all up without trouble.

I agree with your advice. Have 'em install it. Nothing lost. See which works better.

I think I posted way back when that when I was first installed I could only get 1-2 local channels even with my big antenna. I was very disappointed.

The problem was that I (stupidly) hadn't plugged back in the power cable for the amplifier after messing around with the antenna cables for the Voom install! So in my case that little Rat Shack amplifier made a big difference! I pick up all locals from the region coming from different directions.

CDH.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)