OTA installation issue

EthyleneOxide

Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Hi everyone, I just subscribed to Dish Network and the installer came and put a Dual LSB dish and everything works great. I got Terk BDD-32 diplexers to combine the dual LSB outputs to the antenna and then used the same diplexers to split the signal at the 811 recievers. I have attached a schematic showing how I planned on installing my system.

The problem is that as soon as I plug my OTA antenna to the third port on the BDD-32, my recievers lose all signals and can't lock onto any transponder. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong since the connections all seem to make sense. Ideally, I'd like to get the opinion of someone that's using the Terk BDD-32 dual diplexers, but anyone who is using dual diplexers could be of great help. Thanks! :D

Attachments

• Dish and OTA.jpg
    Dish and OTA.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 211
The power Insertor always goes to port one on the dish pro plus 44 switch.

Diplex the antenna signal after the multisiwtch dish branded switches dont work well with a diplexed ota signal into them!!

so would diplexing the signal after the Dish switch work? So I would be combining the OTA signal with the already combined dual LSB signal. Would that work? I suppose I could just try it and see......

thanks!

okay I got it working for one of the TVs.. See the diagram I attached to look at how I connected it. In my previous diagram I made a mistake and didn't connect the power inserter line to port 1. It was always connected to that so I corrected it in the diagram.

The problem now is when I connect the second HD box (which is series with the power inserter) to the first diplexer, the whole system goes down. Is it the way I'm connecting everything to the diplexer, or do I have to use one of these DC blockers that the included with the diplexers?

Edit: the first diplexer in the diagram is actually connected correctly, i just connected the line to the wrong output in visio.. sorry!

Attachments

• Dish and OTA (1 works).jpg
    Dish and OTA (1 works).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 191
Try two diagrams, one showing how it all works before you modify it. The next to show the modification you make and what the outcome is.

Also, show the DC path throuhg the devices by making that line red. I'm not sure what the requirments of the switch are, but the Diplexers are usualy very simple and work perfectly. I use diplexers with two ports on them. I'm not sure of the Terk models you have, so I will look the spec's up before your next reply. Joe

The problem is not likely to be the Terk as long as you do not break any DC paths from the receiver to the switch on the satellite path. That duel Terk has 5 times the loss of the single ported model. Yours has 5db loss on the antenna, and the single has 1db. Not a really big deal, but if you did not need the two ports, you traded 4db of signal to get them. That extra loss may not be a big deal if you have good strong signals to work with.
Take a look here for some good info. I'm sure we will get to the bottom of your troubles soon. http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwork/DISH_Pro-DISH_Pro_Plus_Information_Documents/Introduction_to_DISH_Pro_Technology.pdf

oljim said:
HDTV tuners

Yes, I agree that would be easier but I should mention that I'm a former Comcast user that switched to DISH so all my rooms are prewired for only one output. Running a second line of coax to the HDTV tuners is not a viable option since 1. it would require me to poke holes and such, and 2. it's obvious I can do it with just one (ie. I got one of the HDTV tuners to get OTA signals through the diplexer, I just need to figure out how to get the one with the inline power inserter to work as well). Thanks tho!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)