OTA Locals and Program Guide

ktriebol

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 4, 2005
With my 811 receiver, I receive all of the local stations over the air, from Green Bay, Wi, 25 miles away. When I open the program guide and move to the OTA local section, Local Digital is displayed rather than actual programming information. I was wondering if there is a way to get actual programming information to display for local OTA stations. I read through the 811 manual, and it doesn't seem to say one way or the other.

just an idea

I thought the 811 had OTA guide info. Try deleting your DTV chans, and do a full DTV scan to readd them. it might help.....

Jon

ktriebol said:
With my 811 receiver, I receive all of the local stations over the air, from Green Bay, Wi, 25 miles away. When I open the program guide and move to the OTA local section, Local Digital is displayed rather than actual programming information. I was wondering if there is a way to get actual programming information to display for local OTA stations. I read through the 811 manual, and it doesn't seem to say one way or the other.
Several of my OTA locals don't display guide info. Either the station isn't providing it, or the 811 doesn't recognize it. If you have Dish locals, you can configure the EPG to mix the Dish locals with the OTA locals, and see the guide info that way.

ktriebol said:

The most likely reason you don't get PG information is because the station doesn't provide it in their PSIP.

ktriebol said:

I have the same problem. I know that 3 of the 7 digital stations I get are broadcasting PSIP guide data (I get it with my ATI HDTV card), but the 811 just shows "local digital" for everything. I have deleted and re-scanned the stations both automatically and manually with no change. Does anyone know why this would be?

oak

Because the 811 does NOT use PSIP info for guide data, it only maps info from locals they deliver by satellite.

If you have a local digital and you know that the analog equivalent is broadcast by Dish as a local for your area, then you SHOULD get the guide data for your local digital. If not, post the channel in the DISH NETWORK USER GROUP forum here at Sat Guys. They are supposed to monitor that forum. Or you could just call them directly and see what the problem is.

After loading the program guide, my 811 displays all the proper information on my OTA channels and guide. This last for about hour or so then all my channels revert to "Local Digital." And sometimes I lose the info in my guide as well though I haven't seen that as often with the latest update. I hope this is not an issue with the 942.

KyDave said:
Because the 811 does NOT use PSIP info for guide data, it only maps info from locals they deliver by satellite.

If you have a local digital and you know that the analog equivalent is broadcast by Dish as a local for your area, then you SHOULD get the guide data for your local digital. If not, post the channel in the DISH NETWORK USER GROUP forum here at Sat Guys. They are supposed to monitor that forum. Or you could just call them directly and see what the problem is.

My locals are broadcast by Dish (Richmond, VA), but they are on the 105 sat and require a super dish to get. Since I only have a Dish 500, cold this be the reason my local digitals are not mapping to the dish locals? I will try and call Dish CS tonight.

Thanks
oak

Oakenshld said:
My locals are broadcast by Dish (Richmond, VA), but they are on the 105 sat and require a super dish to get. Since I only have a Dish 500, cold this be the reason my local digitals are not mapping to the dish locals? I will try and call Dish CS tonight.

Thanks
oak
That is correct. You must have a dish for the satellite your locals are broadcast on in order to get the info to map to your local digital.

I am the original poster on this thread. The info about needing access to the local station satellite is probably the answer. I only have a dish 500 at this time and that is probably why I don't get the locals on the program guide. Thanks a ton!

This can't be true. I also do not get locals for a neighboring DMA which is on 105.

But the 9 day EPG is only located on slot 110. Since the EPGs on all other slots are only 44 hr, the locals guide info must be on 110, even if the channels themselves are on a different slot. This would be needed for the DVRs.

the 811 doesn't use the 9 day guide, so yes to get the local guide data, you need to have a satellite to view the locals carried by dish.

Cyclone said:
This can't be true. I also do not get locals for a neighboring DMA which is on 105.

But the 9 day EPG is only located on slot 110. Since the EPGs on all other slots are only 44 hr, the locals guide info must be on 110, even if the channels themselves are on a different slot. This would be needed for the DVRs.

I called Dish CS and they did not have any idea if I needed to see the 105 bird to get my OTA locals guide data. No luck there.

So I guess it begs the question, is anyone out there with dish locals on the 105 bird and only a Dish500 getting any local OTA guide data via the 811?

oak

Oak,

In order to get the local channel guide data for Richmond, you would need to install a 105 Superdish. The receiver knows which dish you have installed (from the check switch menu) and only displays guide data for those satellites that you receive. Since Richmond locals are on 105, any receiver not connected to a 105 Superdish would not display guide data for those locals.

I had the same problem. I had a Dish 500 looking at 119 & 110. I also had another dish looking @ 61.5. My OTA locals on my Dish 811 only displayed "local digital". The locals for my DMA from Dishnetwork are broadcast on 121. I called Dishnetwork and qualified for a free Superdish & installation when I order locals. After the Superdish was installed and connected to my 811, BINGO, my OTA Digital locals started displaying guide information! After 1 month I cancelled my locals. I still get my guide data for my OTA Digital locals.

All of this just to get guide info to display on my 811 OTA digital stations!!!!

I have dish 500 pointing 110 &n 119, I have never gotten a guide on local OTA through the 811, It always says local digital.

I am going to test cable for a month starting Friday, Still keeping dish for other 5 receivers, Cable doesn't carry CBS or NBC on HD, they do have ABC, so to keep the wife happy, CSI, ER, etc, I borrow a samsung OTA HD receiver from a friend and It gets some real nice guide and program information. Why doesn't the 811 pick this up ?

My locals come from 110/119, so this isn't the same but check this out. I get guide data on some of the channels, and two of those channels are in another DMA, yet my 811 shows the correct data, (whats on, whats next etc.)

yup, the 811 can show channels for other dmas as well as long as they're carried by dish. If you notice the channel outside your dma you're getting now is visible to you in the 7000-9000 range of local channels in red.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)