OTA madness

RidgeRunner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Raymond, Maine, United States
So at my camp which is off grid. I did a bunch of research and armed with a spectrum analyzer I put up a TV antenna (according to TV fool I'm in a dead spot) I got the two broadcasters in the county...great. Now the only two broadcasters are actually RF 8 and 10 so I'm using a yagi designed for channel 8 with one of these boost XT LNA-200. Everything works great.

Now I find out ABC is being added on UHF same hill top. I'm hoping my VHF antenna will be enough, but if it isn't what type of diplexer would you folks recomend? I'd like to keep the one cable run I have and just mount another UHF yagi.

The last question is regarding the LNA-200 says it has a "bandpass filter" so when I set this up I put a splitter at the TV and fed the other port into my FM receiver which is coming from same hill. This arrangement works OK for FM radio, occasionally it looses the "FM stereo" lock light and I assume that maybe the signal is being attenuated by the amp.

Anyone have any recommendations on amps that don't block the FM broadcast band? I am in a low RF environment in terms nearby towers.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using the SatelliteGuys app!

So at my camp which is off grid. I did a bunch of research and armed with a spectrum analyzer I put up a TV antenna (according to TV fool I'm in a dead spot) I got the two broadcasters in the county...great. Now the only two broadcasters are actually RF 8 and 10 so I'm using a yagi designed for channel 8 with one of these boost XT LNA-200. Everything works great.

Now I find out ABC is being added on UHF same hill top. I'm hoping my VHF antenna will be enough, but if it isn't what type of diplexer would you folks recomend? I'd like to keep the one cable run I have and just mount another UHF yagi.
I've used this one and it worked fine. :)

I just use an old cable tv splitter in reverse. Some work fine as combiners, but you may not need one with that stellar labs antenna. It may pick up the UHF station just fine.

I'm guessing you're looking at the Presque Isle stations. How far away are they? WWPI-LD (NBC, not ABC, as far as I'm aware) will be a low-power TV signal, and thus may be harder to receive. Posting a RabbitEars Signal Search Map result link would help people here judge your reception conditions better.

- Trip

Yes you are correct, Presque Isle, ME. I actually spoke with the cheif engineer. They are moving the transmitter to Mars Hill and will be broadcasting at full power. I currently already receive the VHF signal of 8 and 10 fone business. I think the move will be finalized this month.

Currently the transmitter is low power at their station in Presque Isle while they await the new antenna.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using the SatelliteGuys app!

Yes you are correct, Presque Isle, ME. I actually spoke with the cheif engineer. They are moving the transmitter to Mars Hill and will be broadcasting at full power.

Then the chief engineer is misinformed. WWPI-LD, by the -LD at the end of the callsign, is a low-power TV license. By its very definition, it will be a weaker signal.

- Trip

Reactions: Tower Guy
Trip are you really that much of an asshat? Sure I'm going to tell the guy that he doesn't know what he's talking about?? Come on man get real!

Maybe its still a low power station, I didn't ask him that and I didn't scour the license closely enough.

All I know is what he told me, he said they're moving the transmitter from their studio Presque Isle to Mars hill. I looked at the license and there appears to be a pending change and their effective radiated power is going from 4kw to 15kw. I may even have that wrong too, but my original post was not asking if I could receive the signal or not. It was about diplexers

Do you have anything to offer from my original post? I didn't ask if I needed help determining if I can get the signal I asked about diplexers, do you have anything to offer with that regard or would you like to split hairs with me.

I would expect better behavior out of a "staff member" "webmaster"

Yes, providing factual information and correcting misinformation that may be relevant to your situation must make me an "asshat." Clearly.

You specifically said you were in a dead spot:

(according to TV fool I'm in a dead spot)

I thought additional information, both for you and for the rest of us, would be helpful to your case. I was mistaken. I apologize, and will refrain from further posts in this thread.

- Trip

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)