ota module dead on new install

jph1207

Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
hi..just got voom today (long island ny) and the ota module seems to be dead...i already had a hi-def antenna so i just used that with the voom box..voom box just continues to say ota signal is at zero strength (if i disconnect cable from voom box & use my own hi-def tuner it works fine so i know antenna is good)...any tricks to try?..installer noted on paperwork that ota was not working..im thinking maybe module needs replacing..maybe there are jumpers or switches on it...?

Go to the system settings and post what's your signal quality strength and power strength for OTA. Make sure to tune to a channel that it's live. It is possible that the OTA module is dead but it is also possible that the receiver is not working as well. I want to see what numbers you can post because I had a similar situation.

sean...signal numbers

satellite signal quality 58
off-air signal quality 0
satellite signal power 70

sean sorry missed one

off air signal power is some wacky number like 21474834576

we reseated the module while the installers were still here..no change..ill try it again though

jph1207 said:

That's what I was afraid... This could be a bad receiver as well. It happened to me and a few others. Replacing the OTA may not fix the problem. I would ask VOOM to send the installer with a receiver and an OTA module just in case the new OTA module does not make any difference. That's what I did. Luckly the installer that came to my house came prepare with extra receivers.

thanks for the info..what software update are you guys talking about that will happen after 2am?

jph1207 said:
thanks for the info..what software update are you guys talking about that will happen after 2am?

Sadly it won't address the issues you describe. Hang tough!

jph1207 said:
I had something like this on mine, but a simple reboot (or un-plug) fixed that.
Is your PG showing correct local channels? Which channel are your readings for? Signal readings are channel-specific.

signal numbers seem to be the same for me no matter what channel im on...i guess since its not seeing any ota because of a problem i always get the same broken number..signal strength 0 signal power 2145765438

jph1207 said:
signal numbers seem to be the same for me no matter what channel im on...i guess since its not seeing any ota because of a problem i always get the same broken number..signal strength 0 signal power 2145765438
But you have the correct OTA channel numbers in the program guide, don't you? And you are connecting the antenna coax cable directly to the removable OTA module, right? Indeed, sounds like a dead OTA module...

jph1207 said:
we reseated the module while the installers were still here..no change..ill try it again though

My module seems to have gone bad as well. I replaced the Moto/Voom module with a diplexer from my old D* set-up and I'm up again. You can get one just about any electronics store. You need a TV/Sat diplexer not a splitter. Give it a try...if it doesn't work you can asume it's the STB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)