Status
Please reply by conversation.

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Can the OTA module for the HR24 pull in any free and clear channels from the local cable company? Our setup is going to be cable internet from the local cable co, and Directv. I want to integrate the locals from the free and clear side of the cable feed for backup purposes for those times we lose the satellite (rain fade).

Can the OTA module for the HR24 pull in any free and clear channels from the local cable company? Our setup is going to be cable internet from the local cable co, and Directv. I want to integrate the locals from the free and clear side of the cable feed for backup purposes for those times we lose the satellite (rain fade).

No, the AM21 is ota only, no qam tuner.

Pretty much all newer TVs that have an ATSC tuner also do clearQAM, even if it's not listed in the manual (mine is one of them, it makes no mention of clearQAM but receives it fine). So I would just hook the cable up to the TV's tuner and do a scan to see what happens. Then it's there if you need it, but you'll just have to flip to the tuner input. Only downside is you won't get the guide integration.

Just be aware though, when you order just cable internet without video service, standard practice is to install a video trap on the line so you don't get 'free basic'. This trap is non discriminating, it catches everything - including the 'free and clear' channels. So while video trapping is often a 'neglected' step in the cable modem install, don't be surprised if you get nothing but snow..

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies!! I wasn't sure if the AM21 would decipher QAM or not. Our TV does have a built in tuner and I THINK it will do QAM.

The quick answer is that you can't scan for channels, so you're at the mercy of Tribune, who supplies the local channels when you enter your zip code. I have a few low power digital stations that it does not see (religious), but I would never watch them.

I bought a cheap OTA antenna from monoprice and connected it to the TV for the few times we lose satellite, which has generally been only during severe storms.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)