OTA module, New Hopper 2 W/Sling. (Issues)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

pestman

Original poster
Feb 5, 2017
Texas DFW
Hello, New to site and 2nd time Dish Customer. I had my service installed a couple of weeks ago. I am liking the hopper so far except you really can't record 6 shows at one time of your choosing.
So i ordered a ota module from dishdepot.com for 2 reasons. My understanding it would add an additional tuner and some of my missed local channels like Metv and Antenna tv.

I received the module and hooked it up, my hopper rebooted before i could get all the channels set and saved. I finally figured out the process and got the channels added. Some had a info guide and some didn't. Ok no big deal.
Great channel reception and my favorite channels are back.
So i set up my recordings on my favorite channels. Hopper showed it was recording as scheduled. So this morning i get up excited to watch my westerns.
Shows were there to click on but hopper went into search mode and never found them even though it showed they had recorded.
About ready to send this ota module back. Am i doing something Wrong? This thing is not without bugs. sometimes the hopper will reboot for no reason and ask if i want to add ota channels.I hit yes and all is good again.
But if i can't record my Favs I see no use in it. any help appreciated.

Try a power cord reboot. Pull the plug,wait a minute ,plug back in. This usually will reset your receiver to clear out the glitches after a software update. Also check and make sure that the channels are coming in at 100% and green and locked. Put a check in the ota menu on the station then see what it comes in at. If you get a yellow signal and less than 100%, you can not depend on that channel to record on it. I have two ota channels that come in at 75% and yellow , that come in like that. If you have less than green on many if your channels ,you might need a new antenna or redirect your antenna or better reception.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Reactions: charlesrshell
You might also want to sit tight and see what happens as the day progresses before you do anything too dramatic...seems to be a lot of reports popping up this morning about recording oddities yesterday and into the morning so far.

Reactions: JSheridan
Update. I decided to get a stronger antenna over the weekend. Unhooked ota module done a reboot, installed new antenna.

I'm getting better reception on my channels now, green Bar on the ones I like. Still a few bugs I've noticed. When you reboot to clear channels then hook your module back up hopper notices it and ask if you want to reboot to install, I pick yes.
Once rebooted I go to settings and then ota and all channels are already there? No scan necessary, in fact if you try to rescan for channels it reboots my hopper.
I live in DFW so it scans in over a 100 channels. Even though you have the option to pick your channels (highlight in green on the list) there is no save button. So all channels picked up on scan wether picked or not are on your list also on your guide!

So I'm thinking since you can't pick just your strongest ota channels at some point the weaker channels Peter out And the hopper detects lost channels and goes through the reboot cycle all over again.
It did a couple of times in the last few days.
So it works but not dependable to record unless your there to keep
An eye on it. I guess I'll wait for an update to fix this bug.

On another question. The ota module does add an extra tuner but you can only use it to record ota channels.
Could you split your line coming from dish and add a splitter at module and antenna line so you can use the ota tuner to record shows coming from dish?
Sorry for the long explanation.
Any advice appreciated.

The OTA module receives ATSC signals in the VHF and UHF frequencies. The satellite signal from the Dish receives DBS signals in the 12.2-12.7 GHz frequency. Thus the OTA module can only decode signals from an Antenna - not satellite signals.

Do not diplex the coax. Run separate lines. MOCA uses those OTA frequencies.

I believe there is a known bug when there are over 100 stations available. Don't hold your breath waiting for a fix.

I wish dish would actually include ALL the local channels. About a 3rd of them are included, just not MeTv, Cozi and Antenna Tv the ones I like the most. or at least include a ota in their boxes. I really don't think they would loose local channel subscribers. Just my 2 cents if I'm paying for local channels I want a choice of all available.

I wish dish would actually include ALL the local channels. About a 3rd of them are included, just not MeTv, Cozi and Antenna Tv the ones I like the most. or at least include a ota in their boxes.I really don't think they would loose local channel subscribers. Just my 2 cents if I'm paying for local channels I want a choice of all available.

It would be nice, especially for those that don't have access to OTA signals, but I'm not sure its really feasible if you think of the magnitude. If you figure all of the subchannels in all of the different DMAs in which Dish provides local channels, you would be talking about adding hundreds and hundreds of additional channels. There's only so much bandwidth on those satellites to go around. :D

It would be nice, especially for those that don't have access to OTA signals, but I'm not sure its really feasible if you think of the magnitude. If you figure all of the subchannels in all of the different DMAs in which Dish provides local channels, you would be talking about adding hundreds and hundreds of additional channels. There's only so much bandwidth on those satellites to go around. :D
I see that point as well. Dish could fix the area where you add your channels in the ota screen so your only picking a dozen or so. If it actually worked that would be a big help.

Reactions: DWS44
I see that point as well. Dish could fix the area where you add your channels in the ota screen so your only picking a dozen or so.
But your dozen would be different than your neighbor's dozen. So, you would have to load all of them on the satellite just to accommodate every one. I have 65 channels, OTA, where I am. There may well be 10,000 local channels nationwide. You can't fit all of that on the satellites...

They could provide the national feeds like they do with Grit, GetTV and LAFF. :)

Reactions: ekilgus and DWS44
What made you think you could ?

The advertising spiel is 'record up to 6 channels at once*'. The asterisk leads you to small print that says basically that's only when 4 of the recordings are the big 4 networks and then any 2 others. :)

Yeah, but he included "at one time of your choosing". That's the part I was really questioning.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
What JSheridan said. It was described to me as recording 6 shows at once. Now i came from Frontier which their a mess right now. They do have a DVR that will record six different shows at one time and can be watched in any room you have service all at the same time, but they have a cloud based service and fiber optics, their top of the line packages will record 12.
I'm happy to be rid of them, the service and billing went down hill when they took over from Verizon.
I was a Dish customer for many years prior to Verizon and Frontier and happy to be back.

I'm just trying to learn my way around the hopper. I like most of it so far but, i did expect to be able to record 6 show at once of my choosing. This all coming from a DVR and service that could.

And that is (Dish) what their on air advertising says and their print advertising. You just have to read that really small print really fast!

What JSheridan said. It was described to me as recording 6 shows at once. Now i came from Frontier which their a mess right now. They do have a DVR that will record six different shows at one time and can be watched in any room you have service all at the same time, but they have a cloud based service and fiber optics, their top of the line packages will record 12.
I'm happy to be rid of them, the service and billing went down hill when they took over from Verizon.
I was a Dish customer for many years prior to Verizon and Frontier and happy to be back.

I'm just trying to learn my way around the hopper. I like most of it so far but, i did expect to be able to record 6 show at once of my choosing. This all coming from a DVR and service that could.

And that is (Dish) what their on air advertising says and their print advertising. You just have to read that really small print really fast!

Get a Hopper 3 and you'll have 16 tuners to record up to 19 shows when using the big 4 networks or 16 of any show that you want to record. :)

But your dozen would be different than your neighbor's dozen. So, you would have to load all of them on the satellite just to accommodate every one. I have 65 channels, OTA, where I am. There may well be 10,000 local channels nationwide. You can't fit all of that on the satellites...
I'm talking about the ota screen in the hopper system. It will let you choose the channels that the scan picked up and highlight them in the move to guide screen. It doesn't work. It won't save them and there is no save button.

Get a Hopper 3 and you'll have 16 tuners to record up to 19 shows when using the big 4 networks or 16 of any show that you want to record. :)
I wish the sales rep would have described that to me and i might chosen the Hopper 3. If i can rein in the little woman and the daughter maybe we can live with the Hopper 2. I just want to record my westerns and old shows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)