OTA on guide

According to Dish, I live in one dma, while only 30 or so miles from the towers of the next dma. I subscribe to locals and get the info for most of the ota channels, just not all of them. One of the channels I do get info from is a channel that Dish does not supply. According to most of the posts here, I am not supposed to get them, but I have had them on on every HD model I have had including the 6000, 811, 921 and two 622's.

Dish is trying to supply guide info for all Locals (at least for your DMA). It doesn't matter if they carry it or not. And they are trying to carry the subchannels as well. Once you get to smaller locals it is hit or miss. Certainly for major stations, if your not getting info, try asking them to add it. It may show up eventually.

I don't think that Dish tries to track your locals OTA info to you guide.

I'm in the Wash DC DMA, and I get Baltimore Channel as Grade A strengths. Plus one night I even pulled in a ch from Harrisburg PA. Each of them had EPG info.

I'm going to guess that Dish just makes sure that you are at least paying for "locals" and with that you get EPG info for OTA channels. Whether they are in your DMA or not.

Yes, shouldn't be a problem. I happen to live in the vicinity of 3 DMA's (Lansing, Detroit and Flint). I have them all in the guide (occasionally have to rotate antenna) and they all show program info (although not always 100% accurate). I do notice that when you re-scan, the guide will show "digital service" until it updates. I usually hasten that by doing a "check switch". By the way I'm using both a 622 and a 211.

Last edited:
Charlottesville VA OTA Guide Info?

I receive Charlottesville, VA locals from Dish and the same OTA, but I don't get any guide data for the OTA channels.

Can anyone confirm if Charlottesville locals support OTA guide data?

Thanks!

I'm going to guess that Dish just makes sure that you are at least paying for "locals" and with that you get EPG info for OTA channels. Whether they are in your DMA or not.
That is correct. First, you have to pay for your local market's channels. Doing so basically "turns on" the ability to display OTA guide data. When that's done, *any* channels you can tune via antenna that Dish carries the corresponding analog channels for will show guide data. You will also get guide data for most sub-channels (again, of main channels that Dish carries).

I did a check switch and redownloaded the program guide but still just saying digital service. I guess because dish doesn't carry my local channel? I know it shows up on the direct guide but that don't carry it either.

What is your ABC? Dish might not carry guide info for it, therefore it won't matter what market they think you're in.

As I said, for major stations he should contact Dish and ask them about carrying the guide data. They are carrying guide data for lots of channels that they do not deliver as lil.

i am also getting "digital service" for CBS, i subscribe to locals and hd and the Dish HD equiv has all the program details but the OTA channel version does not. Meanwhile on channel 31 kmax, i am getting the OTA guide and the dish guide. So i guess to do an OTA recording i will need to select the channel and pick the time precisley for CBS.

Last edited:
Wow! I jusst found guide data for a C channel that did not have it before! Cool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)