ota prob.

squirrelguy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jun 7, 2006
hey gang, Currently have terk hdtv roof antenna. (I forget the model) Its the boxie looking unit about 3 or 4 inches in thickness. Anyway, also using Motorola pre-amp, p/n.7775 mounted at pole right underneath the antenna itself. Here's the problem. At anytime of day, and with especially one channel in particular which has a very strong signal, (usually 88 or above), that signal will intermittently drop like a rock to nearly zero and than leap back up to full strength. the one or two stations that this happens on are about 23 miles away from my home. Well within the supposed abilities of this antenna. FYI. I have a direct line of site with the antenna's aim with no obstructions DIRECTLY in its path. However there are 2 large trees about 25 feet apart, almost like goal posts that it is aimed in between. While weather conditions I'm sure sometimes play a part in this problem, it also happens on days when there is NO wind that is blowing these 2 trees. Might they still however be the problem? Thought of trying the 4228 bay antenna, but wanted to run this question out there first before spending unnecessary money. Also, no rotor at this time. Wondered if that may help. Someone also suggested an "attenuator" but wasn't sure which one in particular might help. My location is in Shrewsbury Pa. which is immediately north of the Md. state line. The stations that give me these problems are in Md. but as I said still well within the reach or this antenna. Any help you folks have to offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The symptoms sound like classic multi-path. the antenna is not directional enough and is receiving reflected signal from off axis.

Look at www.antennaweb.org and enter your exact address and zipcode. this will tell you direction and distance to the towers and recommend an antenna type best for your use.

Armed with that information you can report it back here (cut and paste the chart please) and we can help you.

Alternatively just give us your zipcode and we can give it a shot.

Can you try it without the preamp? I agree it sounds like multipath, but it could also be an overload on the preamp's input since your channels are close/strong. Easy enough to try - take it out and replace it with a good barrel connector long enough for the experiment. (Don't forget to take the power supply out as well.) If it turns-out to be overload but you still want a preamp perhaps for other channels, the Winegard HDP-269 might be a better choice for you. It's only about 12dB gain, but it has a very high overload capability...

Thanks guys. First, When I first bought the terk( which I will never do again), I mounted it without the pre- amp. There were so many channels I could not get, I bought the pre- amp and it made a world of difference. Secondly, I went to "antenna web" as was suggested by "Jim5506" and it shows that I need a "Medium directional antenna with a pre-amp". Will do some searching on my own for one, but if anyone has any suggestions, please feel free.http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Stations.aspx
Thank you all again for your help

All just at 30 miles of the zip code and all UHF; all but 2 channels, PBS and IND are located at 188° heading. Maybe the antenna is not properly aimed or it is the multi-path issue. I would certainly look into a quality anytenna mounted outside on the roof or on the chimney. An omi-directional if you want to attempt to get them all without the need to rotate the antenna; or a uni-directional if you do not care about the PBS or IND channel.

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Thank you "charper1" for your responce. Apprecaite the time you took to look up the zip code on (I assume) antenna web. At any rate, am I correct in my understanding of your responce ,that if I puchase a "uni-directionl roof antenna coupled with a rotor, that this may solve my problem? Had planned on getting a rotor anyway. This way I can turn the antenna in a more precse direction for each of the channels,.......... correct?

Do you have ANY interest in WMPB-DT PBS @ 205° or WGCB-DT IND @ 38° ? All the others are at 188° and that will go a long way in determining your correct needs. If you don't want those, then the uni-directional is all you would need.

I would try something like these uni-directionals below (no special order) WITHOUT the amp. You can aim these at 188° to receive all you major networks, and if you wish, attach a rotor to aim to the other headings.

Winegard PR 9032
Winegard HD 9095P
Channel Master CM 4248
Channel Master CM 3023
Antennas Direct 42XG

or

You can try one of these omi-directionals WITHOUT the amp. Test your results across all the channels after aiming to the main 188° channels and determain if you still want the rotor or need the amp.

Antennas Direct DB4
Winegard PR 4400
Winegard PR 8800
Channel Master CM 4221A
Channel Master CM 4228

Thanks again "Charper1", No, have no Interest in those PBS channels. There for I will be looking to pick up one of the antenna's you suggest, trying them first WITHOUT the pre-amp. Most likely to buy the 4248 channel master. Appreciate your help.

ok, about to reveal just how technologically challenged I am. Noticed on "Antenna web . org" that they give the "compass orientation" of the stations in your area that you are trying to receive. Shall I assume that there is a way to fix the antenna to that specific "orientation" such as maybe an actual compass or some other piece of equipment?

OOOOOOps just after posting that last question, I then saw where Charper had already addressed it. Damn, revealed my ignorance unnecessarily!

Wal-mart, never though of them, will check there tomorrow. Went to Radio Shack today and asked for one, and the kid working the counter acted as though I just asked for navigational equipment for the Space Shuttle. Had no clue what I was talking about. Went on there web site later and did not find it there anyway. Probably should have skipped the encounter with that rocket scientist at Radio Shack and just went to the web site in the first place. Thanks for the wal-Mart tip.

Bhelms- Don't know if boy scouts (40YEARS AGO!) had a piece that looked quite like the one that charper1 linked to on his earlier post!

Use Google Earth, click tools, click measure, click the antenna transmitter site then move to your antenna on your house. The line will tell you exactly where to point the antenna. For me it is the left side of my neighbors roof across the street. More accurate than a compass. Antennaweb.org I believe is where I got the Lat Lon coordinates of the transmitters.

Also you can press the N on the bottom of Google to make sure it is precisely oriented to true north then with a protractor measure the true course to the transmitter as shown in Antennaweb. This of course has to be corrected for magnetic variation which is 3 degrees West in Miami so instead of 15 degrees magnetic it is 12 degrees true. The note on Antennaweb says all directions are magnetic directions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts