OTA problems

pete424

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Andover KS
I have had my 622 for a little over a month and up till tonight everything has been fine. I have the HD package but my locals are not available via satellite so I have an attic mounted antenna. It has been working great but tonight I noticed on the NBC OTA a very choppy, jerky picture. When I switch over to the sat, non HD feed it is fine. My signal strength is in the 80s and the other OTA channels are fine. Can this be a problem with the OTA tuner or a transient problem from the local station?

It could be either really. Try resetting the 622 the next time it happens and see if that clears it up.

When you say reset, do you mean unplug it? Is that essentially a reboot? I tried that and it made no difference.

Push in (and hold) the power button for approx 10 seconds (until you hear a whirring sound). This is an essential catch all fix that you will find very useful for most problems like this.

I am not using an amplified antenna. I am about 23 miles from the stations tower. I will try restting the receiver.

Just to isolate the problem, if your TV has a tuner plug the antenna directly into that. If the problem remains then its probably the antenna.

23 miles is pretty far but if the terrain allows it try a pair of rabbit ears just to see what it does and if the same problem remains. I cant imagine it would work very well that far away. But wont hurt to try. If nothing else, try it just to show that a 20 year old antenna can often still work just as good if not better as those "HDTV-ready" ones sold today.

I have the same problem with 1 and only 1 OTA station on my Vip211. About 3 times per minute the picture freezes for a second or so and sometimes I get the error 739 about loss of signal even thought the signal strength is in the 98% range.

This all started about one month ago when Dish pushed the L345 software version out to the 211's. Before that it worked perfectly.

If I disconnect the coax from the antenna and plug it into the TV in order to use the builtin digital tuner I get perfect reception, just not on the 211 and only after that software version.

Dish sent me a replacement 211 and it does the same thing. I am almost certain it was caused by that software update that processes OTA signals differently than the previous versions.

Did Dish recently push out a new software version for the 622 that might be doing the same thing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)