OTA Program Descriptions

xwiseguyx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Has Dish made any progress to resolving the issue with guides not showing any programming information (or the wrong programming information) for most of the OTA channels in my area. (Palm Springs?)

The ABC channel shows Spanish Programming..

The CBS Channel shows FOX

The CW HD Channel shows nothing but the channel name etc...

Any way to get this resolved? Seems ridiculous that this can't be fixed.

Has Dish made any progress to resolving the issue with guides not showing any programming information (or the wrong programming information) for most of the OTA channels in my area. (Palm Springs?)

Nope. At least not in my area. I gave up wishin' and hopin' for that long ago.

Reactions: edisonprime

If you are willing to cough up the money, go the TiVo route. My TiVo Bolt is my main OTA device.

The problem is they DON'T want to fix it.

Thanks all for the Tivo recommendations, but it's more of a minor inconvenience. I "moved" to Los Angeles and mainly use their channels for recording. (Mainly because Palm Springs dish doesn't even offer CW in HD, doesn't carry many locals anyways and the OTA guide doesn't work). But it would have been nice for local programming in the Palm Springs area to be able to easily access. It's crazy that they only offer one accurate channel guide for NBC.. oh well. It's been a few years now so I thought I'd check.

Get a TABLO ota dvr, and an ota antenna and pay for the guide information and you will get full guide information for all channels and sub channels in your zipcode. It cost about $5.00 a month,or $50.00 a year or lifetime for $150.00.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Get a TABLO ota dvr, and an ota antenna and pay for the guide information and you will get full guide information for all channels and sub channels in your zipcode. It cost about $5.00 a month,or $50.00 a year or lifetime for $150.00.
TiVo is better. Though they are more expensive, they do have SkipMode!

The OTA ability is something that keeps Dish above Direct imo. They should use this to their advantage

They should want to fix it since they like to charge for it
Other than purchasing the equipment, what exactly do they charge for OTA?

TiVo is better. Though they are more expensive, they do have SkipMode!
Have you used a Tablo or are you just a TiVo snob? I've used both. The TiVo is more refined BUT the Tablo is quickly catching up and they release regular firmware upgrades to add more features. They recently upgraded the sound to 5.1 and have been stating that an expected upgrade will enable Skip mode. Tablo's tech support is very responsive (the Canadian way) if you have any issues, unlike TiVo which can be very hard to get any response from.

In addition the $150 lifetime fee for guide support is truly lifetime as any Tablo on the same account will be covered, unlike TiVo where a new device requires a new "lifetime" or monthly subscription.

The biggest hurdle many users have with Tablo is the fact that the Tablo is a server without any connection for your TV, instead you use your streaming client (Roku, AppleTV, Android TV, FireTV etc) to view your shows. I love this part since it means I can put the Tablo wherever I have the coax for the antenna and don't have to worry about getting the coax to where the TV is.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
The AirTV appliance now rivals the tablo. At my last check you can now add the external hardrive to enable the DVR. I would have opted for this but prefer the 4 tuner HDHomeRun

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

NEW INFO
Directv has been working hard on OTA, they added over 1,000 MORE OTA Sub channels to the guide channel list. 1,000 More than what Dish has now (Dish mostly just has Guide data for the dot 1 and dot 2 sub channels)

Plus Directvare coming out with the new LCC USB OTA Tuner which is shapped just like the DIsh Tuner and AirTV tuner (except it is black). Internal CHip is confirmed to have the same one that DIsh is using, it is 3rd party made for Dish and Directv.

Directv is also doing Pilot tests where you get $10 off your bill for bringing your own OTA, DIsh is $12
The big news is Diretv Guide data for EVERY and I do mean EVERY OTA channel including the Sub Channels down to Dot 5 .5
THey are also correcting any changes weekly.
They are about 50% done in the Guide loading so they should have 2,000 more OTA guide channels than DIsh my May, when the LCC is expected to be released this summer

HOW DOES THIS IMPACT DISH? It is a Dish Forum Thread, what this means is Competition is good. I sent this info to Executive Support at Dish, along with screen shots and proof the LCC is in a production Pilot and they added 1,000 more Over the air guide channels. I asked that they also add the guide data, and if they do I will switch to Dish right away. They replied with , thank you for the info we forwarded it to the correct team in the hopes they add the guide channels.
Dish only seems to have gudie data for the Dot 1 and Dot 2 channels, sometimes Dot 3 or 4 for PBS. Example . 6.1 6.2 . 6.3 . 6.4
Directv is adding ALL sub channel guide data now.

The OTA ability is something that keeps Dish above Direct imo. They should use this to their advantage

They should want to fix it since they like to charge for it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts