OTA program guide

bjohn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
I have dish 811 with no locals.
I get my locals over the air.

How can I retrieve the OTA program information in the DISH guide?
Right now it just says "local digital"

(I know atleast one channel provides the program info, seen it before with another STB)

Thanks

It is not clear to me whether OTA stations do not transmit EPG info or the dish 811 or 6000 (or other receivers) do not display it.

Does anybody know the details here?

Some OTA digital stations broadcast guide info. The 811 does not show this info in the guide, the way other OTA receivers do. Also, the 811 does not remap their own local channel info into the OTA channels in the guide, as DirecTV receivers do. :no

Incredibly, last night while advancing quickly through the 811 guide, I noticed something other than "local programming" in the analog OTA channels. Upon going back to those channels in the guide, I discovered prime time network *listings* for NBC and ABC, but only on the analog channels. Checking the guide today, however, I see only "local programming".

So for one magical night, it seems my 811 actually remapped the listings for two networks over to my local channels! One can only wonder in amazement at what could be next!

Jaspear said:
Incredibly, last night while advancing quickly through the 811 guide, I noticed something other than "local programming" in the analog OTA channels. Upon going back to those channels in the guide, I discovered prime time network *listings* for NBC and ABC, but only on the analog channels. Checking the guide today, however, I see only "local programming".

So for one magical night, it seems my 811 actually remapped the listings for two networks over to my local channels! One can only wonder in amazement at what could be next!

Well, this is not magical. When you add a new analog channel, it asks you if it's affiliated with NBC, CBS or ABC. If you choose one of those, it will add the general program guide for those networks. It works only for some prime time shows.

Yep, the local major network analog stations have had prime-time program info since the model 5000. Not so for digital locals on either the 6000 or 811.

The DISH engineering dept plans on a software download with the code to show PSIP program info when enough local digital broadcasters get their PSIP act together. I've heard some talk about doing it maybe late this summer.

JohnDoe#2 said:
Yep, the local major network analog stations have had prime-time program info since the model 5000. Not so for digital locals on either the 6000 or 811.

The DISH engineering dept plans on a software download with the code to show PSIP program info when enough local digital broadcasters get their PSIP act together. I've heard some talk about doing it maybe late this summer.

Even if Dish does this, won't the information only be for the current program and not for future programming like the Dish EPG has with 44 hours into the future? I guess current program info is better than nothing but having several hours into the future is what Dish should give us.

markusian said:
Well, this is not magical. When you add a new analog channel, it asks you if it's affiliated with NBC, CBS or ABC. If you choose one of those, it will add the general program guide for those networks. It works only for some prime time shows.

It is if you've had an 811 for two months with only "local programming" showing up on the analog OTA channels guide.

Better yet, last night the listings returned, but this time with - be still my beating heart - CBS included along with NBC and ABC! I no longer have to switch inputs on my TV and use the Tivo guide to see what's on those networks.

Kudos to the magicians at Echostar. :bow

JohnDoe#2 said:

Why not just do it now, and provide at least some info for OTA digitals? :confused:

Better yet, why not update the EPG software to remap local channel info to OTA digitals like the DirecTV receivers already do today? :shocked

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)