OTA Programming on the Guide

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks for the replies It sounds like more trouble than it is worth. I remember having a DTV receiver years ago and all I had to do was enter my ZIP code and the channels appeared on the guide,

That's all you have to do now. You won't get any help from Directv though, since they don't support the ota tuner anymore.

That's all you have to do now. You won't get any help from Directv though, since they don't support the ota tuner anymore.
And even when they did officially support it, you were still pretty much on your own beyond maybe ordering new ones ...

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

From what I have read, there isn't enough memory or processing power in the AM21 to add more stations to the database.

From what I have read, there isn't enough memory or processing power in the AM21 to add more stations to the database.
There isn't;

Because of the dumb way DIRECTV originally designed the system, the OTA database can't accommodate any station with a TMS ID exceeding 65,535. ...

Which would therefore exclude most of the more recent channels nowadays.

Very poor design planning. ...

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

Reactions: alnielsen
Thanks for the replies It sounds like more trouble than it is worth. I remember having a DTV receiver years ago and all I had to do was enter my ZIP code and the channels appeared on the guide,

It might not be too much trouble. Some markets are okay. All of my local subchannels are in the database except one, which is easily added with a second zip that matches. I know that it's rare to not have much trouble, and if you live in a big city, you are going to get royally screwed without the hoops and tricks. What market do you live in?

There isn't;

Because of the dumb way DIRECTV originally designed the system, the OTA database can't accommodate any station with a TMS ID exceeding 65,535. ...

Which would therefore exclude most of the more recent channels nowadays.

Very poor design planning.

So I'm guessing this is the SAME problem/reason why E* can't/won't update IT'S own OTA database as well???

Of course, since all E* OTA tuners have always been able to scan for available locals, they could (should) redesign them to use the OTA PSIP EPG data...then they would NOT have to update anything.
But that's another argument for another thread... :rolleyes:

Reactions: navychop
IIRC, the H20-600, which came with a built in ota tuner, scanned when it first came out. I know the HR34 allowed an AM21 to scan, but that feature was removed in an update.

Last edited:
Reactions: alnielsen
So I'm guessing this is the SAME problem/reason why E* can't/won't update IT'S own OTA database as well???
nope. Dish can easily update it but refuses to
Heck even in some markets when Dish adds a local they wont even map the guide for OTA...even though they easily can

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts