OTA Quality

AndyOI

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
I just got a new HD plasma and decided to hook up a cheapo $5 set top antenna I had sitting around. I get most of my locals' HD and other digital channel feeds. (CBS, ABC, WB, Fox, and Partial NBC). According to my TV's signal strength they are all coming in around 75-85% (from 30 mi range), except for NBC at 70% which freezes some. The thing is they really don't look that great. CBS and NBC are in 1080i and look ok, but the others are only 720p. To wrap this summary up, I was wondering if I would notice any better picture quality if I were to by a strong outdoor/indoor OTA antenna?

quality

AndyOI said:
I just got a new HD plasma and decided to hook up a cheapo $5 set top antenna I had sitting around. I get most of my locals' HD and other digital channel feeds. (CBS, ABC, WB, Fox, and Partial NBC). According to my TV's signal strength they are all coming in around 75-85% (from 30 mi range), except for NBC at 70% which freezes some. The thing is they really don't look that great. CBS and NBC are in 1080i and look ok, but the others are only 720p. To wrap this summary up, I was wondering if I would notice any better picture quality if I were to by a strong outdoor/indoor OTA antenna?

its my understanding that with digital OTA signals there is no relation between pic quality and signal strength. You either get it or you dont. The only thing a better signal strenght will gain you is fewer rain fade issues and no freezing.:up

What is the signal meter range on the receiver you are using? The 921/942 goes up to 125, on these 70 is the point where the signal will drop out on you (needs to be higher). On the 6000/811 unit only goes to 100, their dropout point is 50, on these there shouldn't be dropouts at all.

If the channel locks, then you get the full image quality.

The quality can vary considerably depending upon the program. Some aren't well recorded. A lot of programs aren't even in HD.

720p sources should look quite good on your plasma as plasma's are usually a native 720p TV. They downconvert 1080i to 720p.

garys said:
What is the signal meter range on the receiver you are using? The 921/942 goes up to 125, on these 70 is the point where the signal will drop out on you (needs to be higher). On the 6000/811 unit only goes to 100, their dropout point is 50, on these there shouldn't be dropouts at all.

I'm just using the TV's integrated tuner. I'm awaiting a new HD receiver. The range goes from 0-100, dropout around 50.

I was just watching some primetime shows and the 1080i content looked AMAZING. Other shows in 720p looked much much worse. I wish I could understand why my TV won't let me change an aspect mode on a 720p or 1080i source (Full screen is totally dependant on whether or not the broadcasting source is in 16x9 or 4x3)

There should be a dedicated button on your remote to change the aspct ratio. What kinda tv.

^ obviously

deno24 said:
There should be a dedicated button on your remote to change the aspct ratio. What kinda tv.

^ obviously

It's a Panasonic 42" TH42PX50U. It has the aspect ratio button, but as the manual states, when receiving a 720p or 1080i broadcast you cannot change it. I can only change it for 480i or 480p DVD signals.

You big city boyz just amaze me. A rabbit ear antenna and 14 HD channels :) I had to build an array of 8 antennas with dual amps to get one station from 70 miles away. But then ive never been in a traffic jam and dont have keys to my house.

Most stations pick one resolution and leave it there. They upconvert standard def to whatever resolution they use for HD. It sounds like you are going by what resolution your tv says, you just have to look at the picture to tell if its hd or not.

In other words your local CBS will probably say 1080i no matter what content they are showing. Try watching one of the CSI's it usually has one of the best pictures. You might also try watching Lost, it might look better on your set since ABC uses 720p.

garys said:

The dropout point seems to have changed with the latesest software on 811. My two VHF HD's still have the 49 and below is no good, but all of the U's I can now pick up down to 23 with no freezing! I use a rotor and have experimented with them and noted this change after I got the upgrade.

Kandiru,

I've got one of those set-top antenna's on my TV and the closes tower is about 40 miles away. Whats funny is the closer towers I can't get using the 811's crapy tuner. I can get the ones that are 70 miles away with 80 and above % signal strength. :)

It is a amplified antenna from Wal-Mart for $30, I think (it has been awhile since I looked) it has 30db gain on VHF and UHF. Anyways, I'm able to pull in something like 9 real stations, plus the sub-stations. Then there is a couple others that I can adjust my antenna and pick up ok, sometimes they drop.

Garys,

On the 811 anything at 60% or below, does NOT lock, I can view something when it is at 60%, but usually it doesn't do to good unless I'm at 62% or above.

Andy01,

Picture quality depends on what station you are viewing and what content they are broadcasting, etc... Different stations my not be broadcasting full resolution, which will cause the PQ to be below what you expect.

On the stations that I get, most of them have Sub channels, usually the main HD channel is *.01 channel, however, there is couple of them that are on the .02 channel.

When viewing the same programming on the HD channel and the channel that is not HD, I see a big PQ difference. This may be what you are seeing, it may be that the channels in question, are not broadcasting the HD signal, or the HD signal is only broadcasted certain hours of the day. My two local PBS stations (Tulsa and OKC) only broadcast HD signal certain hours, and their Digital stream is only broadcasted from like 12-12. It could be that the channels that you notice a PQ problem, are not broadcasting their HD signal at that time in other words.

If you have side bars on your screen on these channels that PQ is bad, that is a good sign that the signal isn't really HD. Whenever I see side bars on my screen for my locals, the PQ is great, but your local station may not be upconverting the analog (which is what the side bars tell you, HD should fill your 16x9 TV).

That's strange as my 811 will lock at 50 and as long as signal stayed above that I can watch with no drop out. Most of my locals have upped their power and I receive all but one of my locals now. The one seems steady at 49 and will not lock, second lowest is now at 78 at it's lowest point. They have been consistant for at least past three months, so maybe low number may have changed.

AndyOI said:
The thing is they really don't look that great. CBS and NBC are in 1080i and look ok, but the others are only 720p. To wrap this summary up, I was wondering if I would notice any better picture quality if I were to by a strong outdoor/indoor OTA antenna?

Remember that they aren't always broadcasting HD content. Make certain that you are comparing HD content from one channel to HD content on another channel. If the source isn't HD, then they are upconverting the signal prior to you receiving it. A HD original should look a thousand time better than an upconverted SD source. If you are uncertain what shows on the prime time schedule are HD, you can easily check at www.checkhd.com - just click the "HD Only" checkbox to filter out the SD programs.

Kandiru said:
You big city boyz just amaze me. A rabbit ear antenna and 14 HD channels :) I had to build an array of 8 antennas with dual amps to get one station from 70 miles away. But then ive never been in a traffic jam and dont have keys to my house.

I'm in between these two points. I live 10 miles from a small city. I get 6 HD stations from an indoor $10 Silver Sensor and I almost never lock my house. My garage door lock has been broken for the past 12 years.

My first antenna, when there were TWO hd's, was a 10 inch piece of wire. I am 10 miles away. As more came on, including our two stations, I went to a medium grade VHF/UHF combo, and later to a rotor as two stations are 30 miles away in the other direction.

We have two VHF's, ch 11 and 13, and these V's pound so hard that at our studio and areas up to about 5 miles get too strong a signal and they have to be attenuated in the antenna lead. Luckilly, this attenuation only drops the U's about 1 to 2 numbers (in other words, does not kill the U's).

Right now I get all the locals, 7, 5 U's and 2 V's, not counting the sub-channels.

I live in phoenix and could use an indoor but I already had a rooftop for analog and with the rooftop I don't have to adjust the antenna when i change the channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts