OTA question for a clueless person (me!)

He’s got a Terk TV55 antenna. It supposedly gets the whole range of 2 through 69. But, and this is the issue he has going right now. It is a powered antenna and I would bet that he doesn’t have the power injector plugged in or doesn’t have it at all making it a doorstop. If he doesn’t have the injector he needs a new antenna.

Thanks Bobby, I went up to attic this afternoon to check it out. Trek 55 is hanging from one of the rafters, ant it is not preamp. Just coax comes out of it. Fortunately, my builder installed extra outlets that I can use.

Thanks 907tech;
The current attic antenna (terk 55) was installed by a company that installs security systems/satellite and phone cables 18 years ago when the house was under construction. The ant. coax ran to the basement, then split with a 4-way splitter and 4 coax cables were installed into different rooms behind dry walls along satellite cables. So, we had two cables coming from walls behind tvs. We simply changed the input on tv when we watched local networks. When Dish offered locals, we stopped using the antenna. Not all reception was perfect. But, we accepted it.
I want to avoid installing antenna on the roof for several reasons. The roof is very high, hate to drill holes for leakage problems, maintenance, etc. I am also acrophobic, afraid of heights!
So, I have decided to replace the current antenna with a newer one under the roof. A friend here suggested a brand.

Leadzm TA-851B 360°Rotation UV Dual Frequency 45-860MHz 22-38dB Open Antenna Silver​

I ordered it on ebay. (less than $20 with tax and free S&H). Here's the details:

Features:
1. Made of high quality plastic & aluminum material, durable and practical in daily use
2. With the light weight and compact design, it is easy for you to operate
3. It supports 360°rotation which will provide agood signal
4. With low power consumption and environment friendly design, it is worth to buy it
5. Rotation speed up to 2-4 rounds/min
6. Remote controlled distance is less than or equal to 5m

Specifications:
1. Frequency: 45-860 MHz
2. Gain: 22-38dB
3. Rotation: 360°
4. Channel: VHF1-12 UHF21-69
5. Impedance: 75 Ω
6. Power: 3W
7. Power Supply: AC110V
8. Rotation Speed: 2-4 rounds/min
9. Remote ControlledDistance: ≤5m
10. Standing Wave Radio: ≤1.5
11. Model: TA-851B
12. Color: Silver
13. Weight: 38.80oz / 1100g
14. Material: Plastic & Aluminum
15. Brand: Leadzm

I don't know much about all the details, to be honest. Just hoping that it will work. I am not expecting dozens of free channels. If I get couple, I will be happy.
I would not get you hopes up with one of those ebay antennas. They rarely work at all from my experience.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Thanks Bobby, I went up to attic this afternoon to check it out. Trek 55 is hanging from one of the rafters, ant it is not preamp. Just coax comes out of it. Fortunately, my builder installed extra outlets that I can use.
The pre amp would be built in and not external.
I believe Bobby if he says it is a powered antenna.

I would not get you hopes up with one of those ebay antennas. They rarely work at all from my experience.
Don't say!! Well, it is brand new, and available at walmart at a higher cost. Rolled the dice. Hate sending merchandise back when they don't work.

Don't say!! Well, it is brand new, and available at walmart at a higher cost. Rolled the dice. Hate sending merchandise back when they don't work.
Your power injector for the Terk should be located in your basement right before the splitter..The pre-amp is built in the antenna..here's the manual..You do realize the new antenna won't work either without being plugged in to power also...

Attachments

• TV55_OM.pdf
    508.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Haha
Reactions: TheKrell
sktrus originally said his antenna was a Terk, but not the Terk55. It might be good to get the actual model off of the antenna and then see whether it was powered or not.
Yeah, looking back I see he said different number. I looked at the picture and went from there. Maybe sktrus can tell us what that number actually is or take a photo of it.

I apologize confusing y'all.
Tvland1; thanks for the pdf manual. You r correct sir. That power injector is indeed in basement homerun room. The coax is attached to it. Then another cable goes from there to splitter. And that antenna is terk tv55 indeed. (checked the other side of the antenna and saw the model number in the attic). I tried to scan different ways: Preamp power on and off. didn't work. Unattached antenna coax from Terk power injector and connected to airtv adapter. Nada.
Whatever the reason is, Hopper scan does not even catch one signal. I guess all I can do is put the new antenna up there, connect the power cord to electric outlet in the attic and rescan.
Thank you all for your patience with me. I sure appreciate it. I imagine u have more fun things to do rather than help this fool!:sorrysign

It may work but a friend on mine ordered a similar one years ago and for some reason they sent 2, but neither one got any signal at all. a paper clip stuck in the tv worked better. They both would spin but neither produced signal. If it is also sold at walmart I would assume it will work to some extent.

Suggestion: Try taking the splitter out of the picture. Connect power injector only to coax that goes to antenna. No splitter involved. See what happens. Might need barrel connector. :)
Thanks for the suggestion. That's one of the first things I did. No splitter after power injector. The ant coax to p injector. injector's own short cable to aitrtv tuner. Didn't work. No channel found. (ordered a package of those barrel connectors from Amazon.)

The manual for the Terk 55 says there's a switch on the power injector. Is it in the ON position?

3. Plug the Power Adapter from the Power Injector into a standard
AC outlet. Switch the Power Injector “ON” for amplification.
See Fig 14.

Last edited:
The manual for the Terk 55 says there's a switch on the power injector. Is it in the ON position?

3. Plug the Power Adapter from the Power Injector into a standard
AC outlet. Switch the Power Injector “ON” for amplification.
See Fig 14.
yep. There is a switch on the power injector. It was in "off" position. Switched it back to "on". Rescanned. Failed. Tried "off". Nothing. Tried the injector's power adapter in different outlet on surge protector. Didn't work. I will try an extension cord for that power plug thinking surge protector is dying on me.

21-69?

Sorry, a $20 antenna is not likely worth anything
u might be right. I don't mind spending more if I know it will work. I am afraid it is all location.
I noticed that 21-69. Does it mean any station lower than 19 will not be transmitted? That's a nightmare. Lex18 (NBC) is my favorite!!

u might be right. I don't mind spending more if I know it will work. I am afraid it is all location.
I noticed that 21-69. Does it mean any station lower than 19 will not be transmitted? That's a nightmare. Lex18 (NBC) is my favorite!!

Go to Antenna Signal Prediction and put in your zip code. It will tell you the approx distance to each stations towers and the type of antenna you need. It’s color coded. Of course ,ugh depends on topography and large buildings in the area but it’s a good reference. The lower numbered channels are VHF in my area. That usually requires a slightly different antenna than UHF. However, many antennas are supposed to receive both just make sure you buy one that says it does. My memory is foggy but I believe VHF are better received with a yagi type antenna. It’s more directional. Where UHF is more geared to the old type of mesh/bow tie antennas.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Go to Antenna Signal Prediction and put in your zip code. It will tell you the approx distance to each stations towers and the type of antenna you need. It’s color coded. Of course ,ugh depends on topography and large buildings in the area but it’s a good reference. The lower numbered channels are VHF in my area. That usually requires a slightly different antenna than UHF. However, many antennas are supposed to receive both just make sure you buy one that says it does. My memory is foggy but I believe VHF are better received with a yagi type antenna. It’s more directional. Where UHF is more geared to the old type of mesh/bow tie antennas.
Thanks MrDRC; I used several web sites including what u recommended. The site above shows (I also entered the 4 digid extension after zip code) that I get 4 red, 1 blue and 2 violet color coded stations. Red requires medium directional antenna.
The nearest transmitter tower (avvording to that site) is only 15 miles. The farthest is 30 miles. I don't believe the distance is the main obstacle in my case. As u mentioned, it is the topography. I live on the highest altitude in my county. Yes, it is rural. Yet, the house is pretty tall and attic/roof is above the top of the trees around the house. U would think the reception of signals should not be a problem at all.

I think the 21-69 is a typo. I hope it is.

Another option is the StealthTenna, if still sold. It is NOT named after stealth aircraft. It was around long before them. It can be mounted under the eaves, easy to get to and almost invisible.

Attics attenuate an awful lot of signal.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Another option is the StealthTenna, if still sold. It is NOT named after stealth aircraft. It was around long before them. It can be mounted under the eaves, easy to get to and almost invisible.
It may be hard to see, but that's because it's so modest. I suspect it's only designed for metro use. Seems to be for sale and going for around $30.

If sktrus is having low signal strength problems, certainly taking his Terk whatever it is out of the attic, as you suggested, will be helpful. Plugging in the power supply for it's amp will be even more helpful!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)