OTA Question

Videomax

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Hi,

Right now, my Voom receiver and OTA are hooked up together with a single cable using the diplexor(sp?) on the back of the Voom receiver.
My TV has a built-in ASTC HD Tuner.
When Voom goes away (sniff, sniff) at the end of the month, will I be able to hook the cable directly to the TV so that I'll be able to get local OTA signals? I'm not sure if the fact that a diplexor is being used will affect the local signals.
Thanks.

Videomax said:
Hi,

Right now, my Voom receiver and OTA are hooked up together with a single cable using the diplexor(sp?) on the back of the Voom receiver.
My TV has a built-in ASTC HD Tuner.
When Voom goes away (sniff, sniff) at the end of the month, will I be able to hook the cable directly to the TV so that I'll be able to get local OTA signals? I'm not sure if the fact that a diplexor is being used will affect the local signals.
Thanks.

Yes, with some work. Someone more technical can probably give you exactly what you need to get the job done but basically, the antenna is a powered antenna so you will have to get a power supply for the antenna. You then have to split the antenna signal out with a multiswitch or diplexor because you only want the antenna signal and don't want to pass the power into your set. The other option is the replace the antenna with a non-powered one and just connect the cable run straight from antenna only to your set.

Actually, it depends on the antenna if its really powered or not. My first install was the standard Stealth antenna. However, the installer didn't install the power board into the antenna (still have it in a box). Later, I was upgraded to the Square Shooter (also not amplified). So either of my antenna would have worked just fine by connecting them to a HD OTA tuner. I'ld just try it and see if it works. :)

-John

What type of power supply would I need? Does anyone have a link to one for an example? Voom was my first experience with a satelite system so I'm new to this whole thing.
Thanks to everyone for their help.

The Wineguard "bow-tie" antenna is powered, and will need 12V from the reciever.

If you leave the Diplexer on the reciever, and disconnect the dish from its diplexer, you will be good to go.

The 12V that the powered antenna uses comes from the 13/18v control signal for the LNB, and is striped out using a power-pass diplexer at the dish.

You MUST use the diplexer at the reciever, and the dish one as well, as the dish diplexer will regulate the power to 12V... DO NOT connect the cable from the diplexer straight to the antenna.. when it pushes out 18v, it will kill the antenna amp.

ultatryon said:
The Wineguard "bow-tie" antenna is powered, and will need 12V from the reciever.

If you leave the Diplexer on the reciever, and disconnect the dish from its diplexer, you will be good to go.

The 12V that the powered antenna uses comes from the 13/18v control signal for the LNB, and is striped out using a power-pass diplexer at the dish.

You MUST use the diplexer at the reciever, and the dish one as well, as the dish diplexer will regulate the power to 12V... DO NOT connect the cable from the diplexer straight to the antenna.. when it pushes out 18v, it will kill the antenna amp.
I am in the same situation as the OP. This is what I plan to do.
1. Take out the diplexer at the receiver end (the dish end would still be connected).
2. Buy a Winegard 9370 Power supply and connect the cable to it.
3. Connect the other end of the cable to my HTPC's OTA receiver.
Remember, I do not plan to use the Vopom box for OTA, just the Antenna.

Dish + Antenna --> Diplexer-->Coax-->Power Supply-->HTPC OTA Receiver.
That would work, right?

I am thoroughly confused. Please help me with this situation:

I have the Wineguard Sensor II powered via the VOOM box, diplexer, etc.

I want to use the OTA separate from the VOOM box and understand I need a 12 volt power supply?

I want to be able to use the VOOM dish for something else entirely, so how would I connect the OTA antenna (Wineguard Sensor II) and power supply directly to my Sony 42" Wega which has it's own tuner?

Where does the Power Supply get plugged in--outside or inside?

What do I do with the diplexer, etc?

smodak said:
1. Take out the diplexer at the receiver end (the dish end would still be connected).

That would work, right?

Simpler solution is to simply disconnect the dish from the diplexer, and leave the 2 port diplexer at the reciever. You wont need to buy anything, and the antenna will still work :)

smodak said:

That would work, right?
Not sure why you are leaving the dish in the mix.

If you are not going to be using the dish just use Antennaa -->Coax-->Power Supply--> HTPC OTA receiver.

If you are going to need the dis then what you have above is right EXCEPT you nee another diplexer before you go into HTPC OTA Receiver.

ultatryon said:
Simpler solution is to simply disconnect the dish from the diplexer, and leave the 2 port diplexer at the reciever. You wont need to buy anything, and the antenna will still work :)
OK, now I am confused too.
1. If I leave the diplexer at the receiver, how would I connect the antenna to HTPC?
2. Why are you guys advising on disconnecting the dish?
3. If I indeed go with my solution mentioned in my earlier post, would it work?

(Remember, i am not trying to use the Vookm box for OTA but just the antenna )

Ronald_Jeremy said:
Not sure why you are leaving the dish in the mix.

If you are not going to be using the dish just use Antennaa -->Coax-->Power Supply--> HTPC OTA receiver.

If you are going to need the dis then what you have above is right EXCEPT you nee another diplexer before you go into HTPC OTA Receiver.

The only reason I am leaving the dish in the mix it that my dish is on the roof where I cannot reach it to disconnect. I have another diplexer from Radioshack (passes dc on the satellite side), which I can use, right? In fact, can't I just connect the coax from dish/antenna to this Radioshack diplexer at the input end, connect the power supply to the sat out end (where the voom box used to supply the power), and conect the antenna out end to the HTPC?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts