OTA Question

viperjoe

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
I understand that A Voom Sat box can be used to recieve OTA HD signals but someone told me that it had to be a box that had been activated. Is this true or can I get a new one and still recieve OTA channels. I am sure this has been answered before but after some searching I could not find it. Thanks in advance for any info.

From what I understand......

If the Voom box has been activated previously and has at least firmware version 6.0, then it has the capability to scan in your local channels as well as receive them. There's been reports of people on here who have had their service deactivated and still have had their OTA tuners working just fine.

viperjoe said:
... can I get a new one and still recieve OTA channels.
Most likely not. Receivers that have never been authorized will not work for OTA.
Welcome to the forum!

Ilya said:
Most likely not. Receivers that have never been authorized will not work for OTA.
Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the reply. After 20 years my parents finally bought a new TV but refuse to spring for the converter box so I am trying to get them into the 21st century as cheap as I can. Thanks again.

I am working on a way to get the OTA to work again on the DSR550.. you can visit the site in my signature.

Any help in getting it done would be apprecaited, and the solution will be posted there as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts