OTA question

I took it one step further and put a splitter in. One wire to the Hopper and one to the TV tuner. :D

Question with the Hopper and OTA dongle, I currently have a VIP622 and am planning my Hopper upgrade. I have my antenna fed into the 622 so I get both Dish locals plus the OTA stuff. During bad weather when the dish goes out, I lose the ability to get to the OTA channels via the 622, does the Hopper work the same way? I get the searching for signal screen for the sat, but can't get to the guide to just watch an OTA.

Just curious.
Thanks
Bruce

You can access the OTA channels if sat signal goes out. It can be a little difficult sometimes because not all functions are available but it can be done.

I don't remember back to my ViP622, but it had a weak OTA tuner, relatively. For my ViP722s and my HWS, I have lost sat signal (rarely) and the OTA side worked.

I've found the OTA tunner does very little to help improve reception. The antenna is where you'll get the best number of channels. I wound up getting a MOHU. But if you do an internet search you'll find many good options at cheaper prices if you can mount it outside. I do have issues when recording OTA at the same time as Prime time recording. I should be able to watch 2 different channels and record OTA and prime time at the same time. When I try I get bad recordings an both OTA and Prime Time. This all started when Dish up dated to the newer icon format a few month back. I called but got little help. Apparently very few customers try recording this way.
I can watch local channels when the weather causes satellite signal loss. That's nice.

I have OTA dongles for both of my Hoppers. I have never had a problem recording from either one of them. In the DFW area there are over 50 channels/sub-channels that are not available on Dish. Many are shopping or informercials, but my wife watches and records several shows every day from channels such as ME TV, Antenna TV, Retro TV, etc. I also found that the picture quality is slightly better from the OTA channels than the same local channels on Dish (less compression).

I've found the OTA tunner does very little to help improve reception. The antenna is where you'll get the best number of channels. I wound up getting a MOHU. But if you do an internet search you'll find many good options at cheaper prices if you can mount it outside. I do have issues when recording OTA at the same time as Prime time recording. I should be able to watch 2 different channels and record OTA and prime time at the same time. When I try I get bad recordings an both OTA and Prime Time. This all started when Dish up dated to the newer icon format a few month back. I called but got little help. Apparently very few customers try recording this way.
I can watch local channels when the weather causes satellite signal loss. That's nice.

I installed the Mohu Sky in my attic and was astounded at it's performance. My primary channels are from 25 to 39 miles away and I'm getting 100% on 3 of the 6 channels I'm interested in and from 70% to 75% on the other 3. It also pulls in an additional 10 sub channels I never even knew existed & didn't bother to save to prevent cluttering the guide with more "junk".

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

The ota module works OK. However it does have multipath issues if your locals are very close to your locations. If the locals are farther out, it works great

Multi-path doesn't have anything to do w/ the distance that the station is from your location. He has to do w/reflections of the signal. What in your case you may be see is the stronger local channels are reflecting more than of course the weaker ones. Less signal strength means that there is less signal to bounce in your location.

Multi-path doesn't have anything to do w/ the distance that the station is from your location. He has to do w/reflections of the signal. What in your case you may be see is the stronger local channels are reflecting more than of course the weaker ones. Less signal strength means that there is less signal to bounce in your location.

I agree but this tuner has no or little rejection. UHF broadcast seems to suffer more then VHF. Especially when it is windy