New Hopper Installation Question

lborges

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Getting ready to order Hopper, Joey & Super Joey and have a question. We have Uverse phone/internet service and modem is on other side of house where Hopper will be located. I heard that to get the best out the of the Hopper (TV Everywhere, Blockbuster@Home, etc), it should be directly connected to the Modem via a direct Ethernet connection other than by wireless. Is this true? Do I insist that the installer hard wire the modem?

That is what the HIC (Hopper Internet Connector) is for. Part of install if necessary/possible.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Whether the Hopper needs to be wired or wireless probably depends more on whether your wireless reaches the destination.

Unless you have wicked-fast broadband Internet service, it probably won't outrun most modern wireless connections. If you're planning on slinging from the Hopper, you should probably not be using Wi-fi. If you're a gear-head, you could make something work but it would require a significant amount of money and time to iron out the kinks.

It may make sense to move your gateway closer to where the bulk of the data is going to (or coming from).

That is what the HIC (Hopper Internet Connector) is for. Part of install if necessary/possible.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

This. Definitely get the HIC if you want a reliable alternative to Ethernet.

This. Definitely get the HIC if you want a reliable alternative to Ethernet.
That kind of depends on how you envision getting the cabling from one end of the house to the other.

I'd have a real problem with someone stapling coax half way around the outside of my house.

A CAT5 connection with an Ethernet switch at the Hopper location could be used for many other purposes than just serving the Hopper. Something to think about in an age of Smart TVs, Internet connected game consoles and media streamers.

A CAT5 connection with an Ethernet switch at the Hopper location could be used for many other purposes than just serving the Hopper. Something to think about in an age of Smart TVs, Internet connected game consoles and media streamers.
A HIC in reverse will do just that. I'm doing it for a Roku.

One thing for sure: You're not getting a hardwire ethernet connection from one side of your house to the other side of the house as part of the FREE standard installation. Dish might authorize their tech to do something along that line with their "custom work" or "smart home sales" options.

One thing for sure: You're not getting a hardwire ethernet connection from one side of your house to the other side of the house as part of the FREE standard installation. Dish might authorize their tech to do something along that line with their "custom work" or "smart home sales" options.

Yea, I get a kick out of that 'Do I insist...' stuff. :D

Get the Hopper with Sling and you will not need a HIC as it is built in.

That's not quite accurate. It has WiFi abilities to pick up your wireless internet but that's it. The HIC allows the entire system to be connected to the internet without actually running ethernet directly to a receiver.

That's not quite accurate. It has WiFi abilities to pick up your wireless internet but that's it. The HIC allows the entire system to be connected to the internet without actually running ethernet directly to a receiver.
My entire system runs off the Wi-Fi from the HWS with no HIC. My 2nd Hopper will do anything from Pandora to streaming movies to Facebook! What else would a HIC let me do?

My entire system runs off the Wi-Fi from the HWS with no HIC. My 2nd Hopper will do anything from Pandora to streaming movies to Facebook! What else would a HIC let me do?

You missed the OP's VALID concern. His Hopper is at the opposite end of his house where Wifi is iffy at best, meaning iffy Hopper experience. HIC, when applicable, takes the IF out if it. So, goody for you that WIFI works in your house. Not all people's do, including mine.

Wired will always be more reliable than wireless and that's why the HIC is so nice to have. The HIC is not always a viable answer though because it depends your wiring and location of modem.

Install is Thursday. Getting Hopper with Sling. As I said before no way to directly hook up with Ethernet unless going around the exterior of the house. Wireless is around a 50 foot distance from Hopper to UVerse router. If that is not viable I could install Ethernet over Powerline. My question is will the Sling work with wireless or do I have to run out and get the Ethernet Powerline adapters before the installer arrives?

As said several times here, wired is much more reliable than wireless, and your Uverse router, if like mine, is not greatest, especially if you have several walls in between. 60' is iffy in my house, even with the gateway up about 6'. I am using the HIC and have coax running alongside my house, about 60+ feet. Everything works great. Powerline adapters, while better than wireless, not as good as wired.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)