OTA Questions: Does digital provide a stronger signal than analog?

whicky1978

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Clarksville, Tennessee
I am thinking about upgrading my analog bunny ears (electrical) to HD/Digital bunny ears antenna. Currently I get about three channels clearly. Would a digital antenna get better reception than analog, when traveling the same distance?

antennaweb.org results show that you will need a strong antenna for both analog and digital from Nashville (blue and violet).

If you can pickup Fox or NBC Nashville analog channel now, you might be able to pickup the digital version with an indoor antenna in your apartment too. Those are the strongest Nashville stations for me.

blue - vhf PBS analog 43.9 miles CH8
blue - vhf NBC analog 37.8 miles CH4
blue - vhf CBS analog 35.8 miles CH5
blue - uhf FOX analog 37.8 miles CH17
blue - uhf UPN analog 35.7 miles CH30
violet - uhf WB analog 35.7 miles CH58
violet - vhf ABC analog 43.9 miles CH2
violet - uhf FOX-DTV 35.7 miles CH15
violet - uhf CBS-DTV 35.8 miles CH56
violet - vhf NBC-DTV 37.8 miles CH10

Last edited:
For inside your apartment, I read something about a "silver sensor" antenna, but don't know any details. You might have to do a search in the antenna forum of this site.

Sorry to read that you could not receive Nashville lil on E* Sat 129.

Good Luck !

I currently am getting channel 30 out of Nashville, and 25 from Madisionville, KY which does not even register on antennaweb.com I had to do some research to figure it where it was from. Currently, it seems easier for me to get channels from KY.

According to antennaweb.com, there is a TV station in Clarksville. I should get it no problem (green), but I don't.

I think the apartment may be blocking alot of the signal, and I can only get what goes through the sliding glass door.

Is it possible for me to mount short antennae on my patio (my exclusive area) and get more channels? I live on the first floor of a two story building.

Look up info on the web about the Winegard Square Shooter. It is approx. only 15- 18" square, and is supposed to be good at picking up reflected signals.

FAYRICH said:
Look up info on the web about the Winegard Square Shooter. It is approx. only 15- 18" square, and is supposed to be good at picking up reflected signals.
Thanks, That looks like exactly what I need. I don't think I can spare the money right though.

Are the digital signals where you either get it crystal clear or you dont get it at all like the DBS satellite systems (Dish and Directv)?

Yeah, I find that I am on the fringe alot. I'm lucky to get the three or channels I get. Most people I know would be surprised, but they don't own digital tv's either.

I just figured out that I have to figure out what the digital channel is before I can find it (sometimes). Most digital channels are UHF. Channel 4 in Nashville has it digital channel on 10.

My TV seems to know which UHF channels are digital and which ones are not, even though the signal strenght is zero.

I'm guessing that 25 to 30 signal strength is on the fringe. Sixty-eight is the highest I've seen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)